1980s Exhibition Trains at Salisbury: Black Ferry Van

Grampus

• RMweb Premium

As many on here will know, back in the late 1970s/early 1980s the BR Exhibition Train stock was based at Salisbury: it was usually to be found in and around the old GWR station and goods shed, behind platform 1.  Amongst the many interesting coaches I recall that there was a ferry van that looked suspiciously like the venerable Hornby model.  This particular van was painted all over black but with a large 'arrow of indecision' covering most of the central door - if memory serves, it was about the same size as that found on 47s or 50s ( - probably where the transfer, if that is what it was, came from I imagine?) 

If I have identified the vehicle correctly, I thought it would make an interesting model, but to date I have yet to come across any photographs of said van.  I wondered if anybody on here might be able to identify the van for me and/or point me in the direction of any photographs you might be aware of, please? ( I did not possess a camera in those days.)   In addition, does anybody know what the van was used for?  I never saw it move: was it just for stores, or was it perhaps a reach vehicle to enable coaches to be moved into and out of the goods depot (where some of the modification work for exhibitions was done)?  I have often wondered, so would be grateful for any information, please.  Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

According to my records it looks as though it was S99648, classified in my list as a ferry van, previous number B787017 (I also have the number as B787917 but that may be my own error), built 1963. But that information is pretty well all second hand. There may be more in the article in MRC January 1983 which I do not now have. There is also a reference to it in a letter from J W Claus, also in MRC but my photocopy does not have the date. There is a note in that letter that it was 4-wheeled.

Jonathan David

• RMweb Premium

I have discovered that I do have a copy of the MRC article. It states that the ferry van was a storage van from the Rank Xerox train. This travelled in Europe between 1973 and 1976. I have not seen it in any photos of exhibition trains on tour in the Uk so I suspect that after the Rank Xerox trip it stayed at Salisbury.

RCTS coaching stock book for 1982 lists S99648 as formerly B787017, 20T ferry van, also numbered 21 70 214 0 144-3 (RIV-type numbers). Those vans didn't go as high as 7879xx.

That book implies conversion was in 1970, along with a load of Mk1s, but that date's only from the main header info for all the exhibition stock.

I have a photo of B787017 (S99648) at Salisbury in August 1982 and the body is in all white livery with just 'Inter-City Exhibitions' stencilled in black on the door. All black underframe,

yellow ferry securing lugs and roller bearing axlebox covers.

Not my photo, so can't post it.

• RMweb Premium

Corneliuslundie, Eastwestdivide and Hump Shunter,

thank you all for helping to fill in some of the blanks.  I certainly remember some 'Rank Xerox' branded stock; I also recall that a fair number of the exhibition train vehicles were painted white (though I never saw the  van in question in that colour, as far as I can remember).  I now wonder whether it had been white previously, but painted black by the time I saw it (presumably to cover up any redundant branding) or perhaps vice versa?  In any event, at least I now have a number for the van, so that is a good start.  Thanks again.

Best wishes,

Paul

Hello.

Wholly off-topic, but I remember my only encounter with exhibition train stock was at Edinburgh Waverley station, probably 1985 or 1986.

A rake was parked in one of the southbound platforms in or around the parcels/postal area. I don't remember what it was advertising but do remember having to squint between the platform edge and the underside of the body for the numbers, which were on the solebar of each coach.

Far too young to have a camera in those days. Oh well.

David.

Archived