Re-motoring a Hornby 101?

James Hilton

Hi guys - for the 2010 challenge I'm building Rose Hill, Marple. It's really only got one big claim to fame - the last stomping ground of the 101s.

I've read on the Ultrascale website that a P4 conversion isn't possible as the axles are too long... would it be possible to remotor a Hornby 101 by simply slotting the bodys on a Bachmann 108 chassis? Does anyone know? How do the 108s come apart? Alternatively has anyone P4'd a 101?

Cheers

James.

Hi James

Can you not just replace the wheels with with standard replacements? Effectively apart from the new motor bogie its still the Lima 101. I have just got myself one of these to P4 also so I'll have a look at it tomorrow. I've ordered a set of MJT CCU suspension kits from Dart to try out.

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys - for the 2010 challenge I'm building Rose Hill, Marple. It's really only got one big claim to fame - the last stomping ground of the 101s.

I've read on the Ultrascale website that a P4 conversion isn't possible as the axles are too long... would it be possible to remotor a Hornby 101 by simply slotting the bodys on a Bachmann 108 chassis? Does anyone know? How do the 108s come apart? Alternatively has anyone P4'd a 101?

Cheers

James.

I'm a little confused by what Ultrascale are saying, I have a pack of ultrascales intended for a 121 (since used in another Limby loco). Given all the 2 axle Limby stuff uses the same motor bogie there shouldnt be a problem.

Edit: Just been on the Ultrascale site, the problem is with the trailer coaches. Solution: buy the 121 wheel pack, and 4 axles of 12mm wheels. It might be possible to drill out the axle boxes to take 26mm axles, but the option I would go with would be a set of MJT/Bedford compensated/sprung bogies or for an easy option a set of A1 Models DMU bogie sub frames.

Should be an easy conversion.

Archived