Adams radial tank trailing wheels

The initial batch of radial tanks had 3' diameter trailing wheels; on some later locos the trailing wheels were larger, possibly 3' 6". Does anyone know whether this was as a result of a design modification for later batches from different builders, and if so which groups of engines had the larger wheels?

• RMweb Gold

HI Steve

The 0415 class was a further development of the earlier 46 class (which themselves were originally built as 4-4-0T) The training wheels on the 46 class and the first 1882 to 1884 built batches of 0415 were 3'0" diameter. Those built from 1885 onwards (that included the last three in service on the Lyme Regis branch numbers 30582,3,4) had 3'6" diameter trailing wheels.

It appears to have been a design change across the board as the 1885 built examples came from three different contractors.

• 2 years later...

I know this is two years since you initial post Graham, but I have only just come across it. I think you will find that 30583 has 3'0" trailing wheels, 30582 and 30584 had 3'6" J H Russell's book Southern Locomotives even remarks on it.There is a nice broadside picture of 30583 in the book that clearly shows the front bogie wheels and the trailing radial truck wheels are the same size. I notice that the colour images on the Oxford site show that they are aware of this,lets hope Hornby are.

Regards Alan

Archived