Class 86/6s- Whats the difference from a 86/2?

JBM37404

Not a great deal - the 86/6s are geared for 75mph running as opposed to 125mph on an 86/2 (although the /2s were in practise limited to 100mph)

The 86/6s were converted from /0,/3 and /4 versions which originally had the BR 27 way jumper cables on the front (same as an original class 87) , when these were removed there were some small blanking plates on the cab fronts to cover these positions , however , I'm not sure if these have since been removed.

Obviously , if you're modelling an up-to-date 86/6 as they are today , there will probably be other minor detail differences with regards to fire bottles , roof aerials etc.

HTH

The main difference would be that the 86/2s were never fitted with the older style multiple working cables where as the 86/6s would have the scars from their removal (in their previous incarnation as 86/4s). The 86/6s had their ETH isolated but I don't know if that meant the jumper went from the buffer beam.

Not a great deal - the 86/6s are geared for 75mph running as opposed to 125mph on an 86/2 (although the /2s were in practise limited to 100mph)

The 86/6s were converted from /0,/3 and /4 versions which originally had the BR 27 way jumper cables on the front (same as an original class 87) , when these were removed there were some small blanking plates on the cab fronts to cover these positions , however , I'm not sure if these have since been removed.

Obviously , if you're modelling an up-to-date 86/6 as they are today , there will probably be other minor detail differences with regards to fire bottles , roof aerials etc.

HTH

Thanks I guessed there isnt much difference, 27 way jumpers fairly easy to do! Will be a 1990 example so will be some changes on the roof.

There are also slight differences to the bogie steps, but nothing more noticeable than the faults with the Heljan model. The most obvious difference I'd be looking for would be the blanked off MW sockets and altering the sandbox doors (Heljan's loco is based on an ex-Anglia one and has some of their mods). 

Pedant mode-

Not a great deal - the 86/6s are geared for 75mph running

HTH

They are geared for 100mph but have their maximum set at 75mph, the only 86 to be re-geared is 86501.

HTH

125mph? I thought 86s were rated at 100mph as first built, then some of them (the Helicoil sprung rebuilds) & the 87s were cleared eventually for 110mph, but not until the 1980s?

Mark

125mph? I thought 86s were rated at 100mph as first built, then some of them (the Helicoil sprung rebuilds) & the 87s were cleared eventually for 110mph, but not until the 1980s?

Mark

Because of the high rating of the motors (there is an AC loco group quote at Barrow Hill that says "we have motors that are more powerful than your whole loco"), the top speed was limited by the less than average riding qualities than the motor RPM maxing out.

Because of the high rating of the motors (there is an AC loco group quote at Barrow Hill that says "we have motors that are more powerful than your whole loco"), the top speed was limited by the less than average riding qualities than the motor RPM maxing out.

...and the fact the CM&EE gets the right hump at high speed nose suspended traction motors dipping his rail joints to boot.

C6T.

Wasnt the pantograph also an issue? When 110mph running was authorised I remember a pool (87's?) being created that had the then new fit pantographs.

I knew a driver who got a little more out of an 86 than he should really have done, his comment that power wasnt the issue but as others have said ride quality was.

Mark

I seem to recall that the 86/0's were limited to 80mph until some were rebuilt as 86/3 and then later all remaining 86/0 and the 86/3's were rebuilt as 86/4s. The /2's and the three /1's modified for the Class 87 development program were rated at 100mph.

Edit: This would have been in the early to mid 1980s.

Archived