Felixstowe extension opens today

• RMweb Gold

http://www.eadt.co.uk/business/felixstowe_royal_visitor_set_to_open_new_rail_terminal_at_port_of_felixstowe_1_2222744

66504, 70009, 66185 and 66709 are down there for the do, along with a steam engine apparently - I believe this brings the traverser into full use too.

I don't think there are any extra services being introduced at the moment, the branch is running more or less at capacity anyway, without trackwork and/or signalling changes it would be very hard to squeeze much more onto it.

Bacon Factory Curve or more correctly the Ipswich Chord is under construction.  It won't make much difference to the branch itself, just means that trains to/from Felixstowe via Ely don't have to run round in Ipswich Yard.

Dave, I agree probably no more trains at the mo, but it should be at least part of the work required for longer trains (I think 'via Ely ones need to wait for the curve as well, ISTR there's a limit to how many wagons you can runround at Ipswich?) - so potentially a big uplift in capacity even with the same number of trains.

Bacon Factory Curve or more correctly the Ipswich Chord is under construction.  It won't make much difference to the branch itself, just means that trains to/from Felixstowe via Ely don't have to run round in Ipswich Yard.

Thanks, Edwin. I'd heard that the length of the sidings at Ipswich limited the length of trains reversing/recessing there, and thus the maximum length of many trains from Felixstowe.

The length at Ipswich yard is certainly limited and I think is shorter than the new terminal at Felixstowe.  There were various proposals to modify this with fewer but longer loops, but I've lost track of what if anything is going ahead.  The curve is designed for 775m trains in both directions to stand while waiting for an onward route without blocking other moves. 

Bit of digging, and current train lengths (apart from one train which is already 'long'?) are 24 wagons, the new terminal will allow 30 wagons*, so 25% extra capacity on any train that can then be lengthened, quite a jump up. If the 'Long' experiment is still running then it's 4M93, class 70 hauled (to Lawley St) and goes via London, so doesn't require a stop for a runround or loco swap in Ipswich yard.

(Based on 'standard' 60' platforms, so obviously shortliners, lowliners, megafrets etc may confuse the actual wagon count...)

• RMweb Gold

Sounds fun!

How long and tonnage is "30 wagons"?

Best, Pete.

A rough guess would be 1800 feet, and about the same number of tonnes; nothing in comparison with things on the other side of the ponds, I know, but as big as the biggest inland terminals can turn round without splitting the train, as can be accomodate in any loops or yards en-route, and as can accelerate quickly enough to clear busy passenger tracks at various junctions.

And also small enough to cycle the stock quickly to keep rolling stock costs down and reduce the amount of terminal space you need.

Assuming the wagons are about 63' all-in then just under 1900' of wagons.

Looking at Realtime Trains trailing loads for the existing workings seem to be booked at something like around 1250t, so that would go up to about 1560t assuming the 25% increase. 

• RMweb Premium

Bit of digging, and current train lengths (apart from one train which is already 'long'?) are 24 wagons, the new terminal will allow 30 wagons*, so 25% extra capacity on any train that can then be lengthened, quite a jump up. If the 'Long' experiment is still running then it's 4M93, class 70 hauled (to Lawley St) and goes via London, so doesn't require a stop for a runround or loco swap in Ipswich yard.

(Based on 'standard' 60' platforms, so obviously shortliners, lowliners, megafrets etc may confuse the actual wagon count...)

However it is also too long for ANY of the loops on the GEML or NLL the one at Stratford on the NLL. Thus long trains like that are not favoured on the London route as basically route control have to be sure it can make the Felixstowe - Caledonian Road (NLL) in one go without holding up anything behind.

The Ely route on the other hand can cope with such trains because the loops and various other regulating points are long enough - it just needs the chord at Ipswich to be built and then all mega long trains can go that way - Ipswich yard being the issue preventing them going that way at the moment.

• 2 months later...

The first proper day of operation of the North terminal turned out to be the 2nd July, since then trains have been split between North and Central...

As a (very large amount of!) luck would have it, I was exploring Felixstowe that day!

My first clue that something had changed was when Central (the old North) terminal came into view and it looked like this! I don't recall ever seeing it this empty before!

_Felixstowe_Central_02072013%20%2814%29-

I had a wander up towards Clicket's Hill, and shot 70001 with 4M93 Felixstowe-Lawley St departing, this I was later told had been the first scheduled departure from the new North terminal. 

70001_Felixstowe_02072013%20%2828%29-M.j

Back down the hill, and 66516 arrives with 4L89 from Coatbridge, and enters Central terminal

66516_Felixstowe_02072013%20%2855%29-M.j

66565 with 4M89 to Ditton had been waiting for 4L89 to clear, sat on the curve around from the North terminal

66565_Felixstowe_02072013%20%2853%29-M.j

Once 4M89 departed, 08585 sprang into action to pull the rear 3 flats (KFA and an FEA twin) from 4L89...

08585_Felixstowe_02072013%20%2870%29-M.j

All my pics from that day can be found here:

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Daybyday/2013/2013-07-02-Felixstowe

Sounds fun!

How long and tonnage is "30 wagons"?

Best, Pete.

Back when we where running 30 wagon trains between Pengam and Crewe they used to be just under 100SLU which would make them just around 2100ft. (1SLU =21ft) If any of the 6x5car sets where missing or short formed, (ie only 4 cars) and single KFA's where substituted then the length limit of the route was pushed to the max. 105 SLU was just about the max that could be accommodated in the up and down reliefs at Hereford. Train weight was just over 1500t for a single 56. Some times double heading was used but only to ensure the train got to Crewe and back. Canton considered the trains the toughest task for their 56 fleet and used the train for testing locos as it was also an out & back working. The weight of the train was not the problem with a train of that length it was the length and the binding of the wheels on the curved route. It was a tough train to run for that reason, fully loaded or half empty. The types of containers and position on the train with regards to wind drag was also an important consideration.

post-7146-0-73498300-1376666783.jpg

56031+56050 on 4S81 Pengam-Coatbridge liner, 28th April 1989

post-7146-0-99918900-1376666800.jpg

56046 & 56036 on late running 4V63. Both 56's failed the night before. Working back off first up steel in the morning of 27th June 1989.

Paul J.

Archived