Australia - Preservation Scene

DavidB-AU

Dear All

Kurunda Railway

I have posted photos and a video of the other heritage  tourist railway I visited in Oz last month. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/kurundascenicrailway

Another well loaded train coming down the hills. I think they must have got their reservation system from ECML (just filling up from the front) as, despite their being three of us none of us had a window view, the car was full but then a stewardess came through that the final car was relatively empty. Certainly the views are spectacular and when permitted they are able to get a move on, as it is a professional railway run by Queensland Railway and not a heritage railway as such.

Like many we travelled to Kurunda on the spectacular Skyrail. We had a wonderful time playing with the parrots at Birdworld. And also resisted spending a fortune on the excellent art that is available in the otherwise very touristy small town.

Paul

• Like 3

1210 and 3112 returning from Melbourne to Canberra after Aus Steam '88, with broad gauge K153 running parallel part of the way. Shocking to think that this was 26 years ago and by then 1210 was already 110 years old.

Cheers

David

• Like 2

Nice find there David.

Just found a video taken from the BG train

That Gin is interesting, as it seems to be a standard 40' tank on a 45' underframe...and it's not SWT5/6. Must try and find that

• Like 1

These water gins were originally BE flat wagons, strengthened to carry military equipment during WW2. After the war they had tanks fitted to carry water to places like Menindee. They weren't intended to be travelling water tanks like the SWTs and didn't have pumps. ARHS fitted a pump in preservation. This one would be L1168, one of the two ARHS had in 1988. The other one, L1179, has a longer tank (https://www.flickr.com/photos/60901191@N08/8957925010/).

They acquired 4 more in 1999. Most were placed along the Michelago line both for watering locomotives and as sources of water for the fire brigade. These have since been replaced by larger former fuel tankers.

Some examples in service.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60901191@N08/9397949365/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60901191@N08/8957925076/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60901191@N08/11045282486/

There are also some tanks without frames stored at Goulburn Rail Heritage Centre. Note one is riveted and one is welded.

http://goo.gl/7ARJwb

Cheers

David

Might have been crew training but those are Boyd Munro's private cars behind. :)

Cheers

David

They certainly are. They've got a new coat of paint as well-look a lot better now!

I've been lucky enough to have a chat to Boyd, and also have ridden in private BAM 1748 while on duty with Heritage Express.

Edited by 69843

Some More Pictures of Yet another WAGR Station/Yard from the old 3'6" mainline Days.

These from Northam.

When the Standard gauge line went in to the East in the late '60s a newer Station was built more towards the Eastern End of Town and the newer Avon Yard Became a dual gauge depot.

The old Station became isolated from the line at the West End of the town. The old Station museum is run by a handful of older volunteers but with dwindling numbers , who recall the station in it's heyday, apparently  they struggle a bit to find new blood to help with running the place. 

smlP1010153_zps0fd0da67.jpg

The Old Northam Station from the road, still in tip top condition

smlP1010135_zpsb839cb05.jpg

View from the Eastern End of the old Platform, outside the museum boundary with some trackwork still in place and the platform slowly deteriorating, the area within the museum boundary is still in good condition, a selection of goods wagons are still in evidence, the trackwork disappears at the green fence.

smlP1010136_zpsc9c51e2f.jpg

Another view of the old goods wagons, where they are left.

smlP1010137_zps5ae71dd6.jpg

This says it all really. Not much going down this bit of line.

smlP1010138_zpsd1706e8c.jpg

smlP1010139_zpsdaa4a880.jpg

smlP1010151_zpsbead0e69.jpg

PM 721 sitting where it has since the late 60's. the covering roof as seen in the top of the 3 pictures is a very recent addition to try and slow down any further deterioration, but 45 years in the open has taken it's toll. It's hard to believe that this engine was driven into place, the fire dropped and never moved again.

smlP1010144_zps229cdf53.jpg

From the old yard and running road side of the platform, with a good view of the new roof, this side of the loco and rolling stock is particularly affected by weather the other side is not so bad as the platform roof offered some protection. Hopefully now the new roof is in place further deterioration will be slowed down and some much needed TLC can happen. But as stated before the group running the show is struggling to find new volunteers and they are battling  a bit to keep on top of things. But at least they are trying to preserve what they have, with limited resources.

smlP1010148_zps31a0c5c5.jpg.

One of the many bit's of Railway equipment to be seen at the site, in this case an electric staff machine.

All in all quite a good little place to visit and only 5 bucks to get in, be nice if they could get a bit of manpower and some funding to help them out a bit.

If your out that way I suggest dropping in, the yarn I had with the old Steam Driver was worth the price of entry.

• Like 3

Having spoken to the owner of 42101, it really is an interesting story. I won't go into it all for obvious reasons, but the locomotive was missing several components from the motor when purchased and also all the traction motors, and was about to be cut up for scrap.

Now, 24 years later and after several years of inactivity while just stored, he has finally seen the fruits of his labour, and is understandably extremely happy about the entire story. There's been ups and downs, and a change of location (Goulburn to Eveleigh) along the way, but it's nearly at the happy ending of the restoration. Then there's a long operational future ahead of the locomotive.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of news from the NSWRTM/THNSW Annual General Meeting passed on to me: There is a high chance that the control of 3265 and 3830 will be given to Transport Heritage NSW, due to the Powerhouse Museum deciding that the locomotives are no longer a part of their core activities.

While I don't know what the terms of the arrangement and what the use of the locomotives would be, I would expect them to no longer be limited in use to only a couple of times a year.

No operational preserved loco ever wore a regular service livery in their current form. In their current form they have Hasler speed recorders, often auto couplers instead of screw, steel fireboxes instead of copper, ashpan flushers, etc. All sorts of modifications without which they just wouldn't be allowed to run.I have no problem with it being painted blue. It would be even better if there was a set of blue and cream set of L cars behind it, even if it's not the original set 86.CheersDavid

Agreed. I can't understand why people get so worked up about the paint. It's mainly there to keep the things from rusting.

Cheers,

Mark.

Agreed. I can't understand why people get so worked up about the paint. It's mainly there to keep the things from rusting.

Cheers,

Mark.

We don't actually get too many complaints about the Pig, despite the inaccurate-for-its-condition Verdant Green 

1.If I was planning something untoward I can get an image of just about anything and anywhere I want by searching the internet. Why would I go out and risk going out into the open and exposing myself on CCTV to the security services:

If you were planning something untoward, why would you need to take a photo in the first place? A souvenir?

Just more BS security theatre.

Mark.

They seem to be very reluctant here in NSW to do major overhauls of steam locos because of the cost and seem to do patch up jobs instead. One day engines like 3801, 3830, 3642, 3526, 3265 and others will need new frames.

The 38s have a one-piece cast engine bed or frame which is as near to indestructible as makes no difference. The parts that wear, like the valve chest and cylinder liners, the pedestal liners, wedges, compo beam bushes and firebox slides can all be replaced, and have been, regularly. The claim that we only did "patch jobs" is not true. When I was at Eveleigh '01 was stopped every Christmas for its boiler inspection and heavy overhaul. Amongst other things we put in a new front end, new tubes and superheater elements, new bullrings, new pony truck wheel sets, new coupled wheel tyres, new grates, carriers and rockers, new tender wheelsets, new tender slope sheet doubler plate, and so on. Every other major component was removed and overhauled. Hardly a "patch job".

And in between doing all that we managed to rebuild 3830, look after 3112, and do as best we could with Bob - SMR18.

There's an interesting story behind the replacement of the tender wheels, but wary of starting a flame war I'll leave that alone.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by dullsteamer

We don't actually get too many complaints about the Pig, despite the inaccurate-for-its-condition Verdant Green

I'd ignore anyone who complained about the colour. That's what I used to do when people had a whinge about '30s colour during its rebuild. It amazed me that after all the good work we did on that engine, all people wanted to comment on was the shade of green we used, or the fact that the smokebox was black. Plebs!

Speaking of the Pig, were you out with it earlier this arvo? The bloody thing blocked me twice on the way into town, once at Sydenham and again at Erko. :)

Cheers,

Mark.

Bit of news from the NSWRTM/THNSW Annual General Meeting passed on to me: There is a high chance that the control of 3265 and 3830 will be given to Transport Heritage NSW, due to the Powerhouse Museum deciding that the locomotives are no longer a part of their core activities.

They never were. During 3830s rebuild the then Head of Conservation at the Powerhouse only ever made the long trip from Ultimo to Eveleigh once to see what we were doing. And it was a quick visit too, accompanied by dark muttering a about how much it was costing, and how we were "compromising the integrity of the artefact". The only person in the PHM hierarchy who really supported the steam locos, or indeed any of the steam activities, was Andrew Grant. Once he finished up there was no one else in a senior role interested. The loss of key conservation personnel didn't help, either.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by dullsteamer

For once, I wasn't working on it or having to go very far, although I was banging around the lower Shire with the 620 to Cronulla, the CPHs to Waterfall (went to Heathcote) and then back to Loftus for the Pig stopping there (stayed both ways). Was nice to see her running unassisted, tender first on the mainline. Extremely rare that that ever happens

You've had a busy day by the sounds of it. I saw the CPHs this morning before I started work - just had to look about of my kitchen window for that. And I passed the 620 and the Pig earlier this arvo on my first trip into town. The train radio/ATP trial V-set was out on the Illawarra too, it passed me at Carlton as I was passing the Pig. If I'd been in the right spot it would have made a great photo!

All the best,

Mark.