Australia - Preservation Scene

DavidB-AU

For those who are unaware, the Lachlan Valley Railway is running trains on the Richmond Line this weekend for the lines 150th anniversary.

http://www.lvr.com.au/docs/LVR%20Richmond%20Poster%20v2.pdf

I am planning to attend both days, as it is a good opportunity to see the LVR locomotives in action, including the only in steam 32 class with modified frames

Well, as I said, I ended up out at Richmond for the weekend. While I am still removing the soot from my hair, here are the photos,organised by day (Day 1-Saturday, Day 2-Sunday)

Day 1

First glimpse of the train for the weekend at Clarendon

msg-14921-0-21319800-1411294886_thumb.jp

3237 passing the camera at Clarendon

msg-14921-0-87753200-1411294899_thumb.jp

5917 pushing hard on the rear of the train

msg-14921-0-80268600-1411294911_thumb.jp

msg-14921-0-58859900-1411294926_thumb.jp

5917 causing traffic chaos in the middle of Clarendon!

msg-14921-0-37112000-1411294939_thumb.jp

The nameplate of 3237 at Richmond. 3237 was never one of the original named 32s, but was named in preservation after the river in the valley where the railway is based (some of the 32s were named after rivers they crossed on trips, like 3265 Hunter)

msg-14921-0-15689500-1411294952_thumb.jp

5917 departing Richmond (taken over 2 trips)

msg-14921-0-46657700-1411294964_thumb.jp

msg-14921-0-12296900-1411294977_thumb.jp

msg-14921-0-08166900-1411294989_thumb.jp

And 3237 departing in reverse as well

msg-14921-0-75044200-1411295002_thumb.jp

Day 2

3237 sits in Richmond station. The van behind the locomotive is a combo generator/support van

msg-14921-0-18384000-1411295363_thumb.jp

5917 approaches East Richmond tender first

msg-14921-0-58164600-1411295412_thumb.jp

And 3237 approaching East Richmond. Despite being in front of the yellow line, this is a perfectly legal spot where the fence goes next to the track on the platform for a bit

msg-14921-0-06990300-1411295443_thumb.jp

Edit:Photos of A3 and A80 removed, as they are nowhere near preservation 

Edited by 69843
  • Like 6

BB18¼ 1079 running to Laidley during the week.

<snip>

Cheers

David

Woo, fame at last!  Spotted myself twice in those two vids.

First video at 3:00 - leading verandah of the second car.  I'm the one closest to the camera.

Second video at 9:48 - hanging off the back.

Matt.

• Like 1

Here's two videos of Lachlan Valley Railways "Steam in the Blue Mountains" on the 27/28-9-14

http://youtu.be/x5YJFteVbaQ

http://youtu.be/eb9p3CvQXqU

The juddering is you tube also I filmed it with a brand new HD Camera. I thought after 16 years since I purchased my first video camera it was time for an update.

Roy.

Edited by faulcon1
  • Like 1

G'day faulcon 1,

Some excellent footage ! I actually spotted myself hanging out the 1st door of the 2nd coach at 6.52, on the first video ! I had a day out at the Museum at Valley Heights, rode the 123 year old steam tram, had a good look around before boarding the train to Katoomba. I will say that there is an excellent model of Valley Heights loco depot, modelled in its 'hey day' !

post-14327-0-20295000-1412076710_thumb.jpg

Above. On board and on our way to Katoomba. Great sound from these two locos. Occasionally the locos would crack into a little wheel slip... Fantastic !

post-14327-0-74149300-1412077142_thumb.jpg

Above. The 123 year old steam tram. The tram coach (trailer) spent 40-45 years in service, then was sold off. The buyer built this coach and another into their home...!

Below. The news paper article about the trams/home.

post-14327-0-99714800-1412077638.jpg

Below. The next two pics are of some of the details of Valley Heights Loco Depot and Station in HO scale.

post-14327-0-96032400-1412077171_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-57649900-1412077202_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Gary.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening...been in Brisbane for 10 days now, have to say am thoroughly enjoying my stay, it's a wonderful city. I was wondering if the tramway museum is worth a visit? I think it only opens on Sundays, but might give it a go.

BTW fell foul of the police today, was waiting for some freight action at Yeerongpilly in a road outside the station when a couple of cops pulled up and started giving me the third degree. Apparently the Cctv round the station had picked me up and they phoned the police. They were ok though, after they had rang up the railway control and told them what I was doing they came back and told me when the next freight was due. Can't say fairer than that.

With the G20 conference due next month I think all the security functions are going into overdrive around Brisbane just now, so I'll have to watch my step while trying to photograph trains.

• Like 1

Here is a link to the Sydney Tramway Museum, located in  Loftus, in Sydney's south ..

http://www.sydneytramwaymuseum.com.au/

Valley Heights is a Heritage Loco Gepot with only one steam tram, a few locos and some rollingstock. The steam special was organised in conjunction with the Lachlan Valley Railway (LVR) and Valley Heights. Apparently there was a bit of a falling out between the RTM and Valley Heights. Info provided by a staff member.

Here is a link to Valley Heights ..

http://infobluemountains.net.au/locodepot/

Cheers, Gary.

Evening...been in Brisbane for 10 days now, have to say am thoroughly enjoying my stay, it's a wonderful city. I was wondering if the tramway museum is worth a visit? I think it only opens on Sundays, but might give it a go.

Good to hear you're having a good time out here.

With everything going on in the world at the moment AND the G20 summit on top of that to worry about, it's good to hear the police (and CCTV control) are actually keeping an eye on what, to the public, might be viewed as 'suspicious behaviour'. Nice to hear that they told you when the next train was due as compensation.

The tramway museum in Brisbane is open from 12 to 4:30 on Sundays

http://www.brisbanetramwaymuseum.org/

http://www.brisbanetramwaymuseum.org/timesfares.php

Apparently there was a bit of a falling out between the RTM and Valley Heights. Info provided by a staff member.

That's news to my ears. Any reasons given? As it is interesting to hear that there might be a problem, with Valley Heights being a part of the RTM and all, not least in the Centenary year of the depot.

Apparently not so long ago, the RTM (Thirlmere) provided a train to Valley Heights to help VH gain some visitors etc. What ended up happening is that RTM ran their train and no support was thrown towards VH. The RTM train did not use the facilities or promote VH whatsoever. This is the reason that VH decided on using LVR train and crew instead.

That is what was basically said.

Cheers, Gary.

Apparently not so long ago, the RTM (Thirlmere) provided a train to Valley Heights to help VH gain some visitors etc. What ended up happening is that RTM ran their train and no support was thrown towards VH. The RTM train did not use the facilities or promote VH whatsoever. This is the reason that VH decided on using LVR train and crew instead.

That is what was basically said.

Cheers, Gary.

Ah, that trip.......

That was the Penrith-Valley Heights shuttles back in June. We ran up to Valley Heights and then straight back down to Penrith. The reason for this being that we were using the full mainline set of (in order facing west) 3642-SWT5-GMS-MCA-MBE-FS-MFS-EFS-RFN-CN-HN-ABS-PFZ-4520-4490.

We couldn't fit into Valley Heights yard with a 10 car (or 13 car with the gin and two diesels) rake, and Valley Heights Depot doesn't have the capacity to load and unload passengers into that many carriages. We also had to be mindful, as unloading anywhere up to 506 people (the PFZ and ABS were not carrying passengers) on every trip (every trip of the 4 we did was sold out) at Valley Heights Station would have been a complicated process, also making sure that no-one else got on. This also would have blocked the main line, something we obviously weren't keen on doing.

As to not using the train or facilities to promote Valley Heights Depot, that is simply not true. We had members from the museum on the train the entire day, selling raffle tickets to raise money for the museum and providing information on the museum at every occasion, and steam tram motor 103A and coach met us at VH on every trip, to the delight of all those on board. As I was working souvenirs that day and went up and down the length of the train an untold number of times, I bumped into the members several times, and they were grateful for us putting the train on.

The main reason that the LVR ran the shuttles on the weekend are

1) We had already done our shuttles for it this year, and

2) 3642 was already previously engaged on the Saturday with the Southern Highlander to Robertson via Moss Vale.

Knowing members from the RTM were crewing the train as LVR members (and some not) on the Richmond shuttles, the relationship between the LVR, RTM and VH is a very strong one, and would take more than this to break it. Than again, stranger things have happened between various groups (not mentioning that big Green streamlined pacific...)

• Like 1

As some of us might know this long weekend was the running of what could potentially be the last Newcastle Flyer. Gallantly hauled by 3642 from Central to Newcastle, the up Flyer was a great experience, with that trip being my very first Flyer on what could prove to be the very last.

Sadly I didn't get any photos worth mentioning (iphone photos!) but our loco and carriages all looked and performed beautifully!

• Like 1

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. Sadly I couldn't make it, but did do the 3801 Limited/LVR shuttles in Sydney

I'd agree on the fact that all the stock is good, but I know EFS 2090 is in need of some TLC!

As far as I am aware (and without turning this into an argument on the pros and cons of Dorrigo), not too much. Although I am myself not in contact with Keith Jones, I will ask a good friend of mine who is if there is any news once he is over an infection.

The biggest recent action I am aware of was acquiring the remnants of seven South Maitland Railways 10 Class 2-8-2Ts from the Rothbury Riot Railway. Though there may be more that I am unaware of.

Edited by 69843

With everything going on in the world at the moment AND the G20 summit on top of that to worry about, it's good to hear the police (and CCTV control) are actually keeping an eye on what, to the public, might be viewed as 'suspicious behaviour'. Nice to hear that they told you when the next train was due as compensation.

How is it suspicious? It wasn't the public that viewed it so, it was the people in the CCTV room, who should have known better.

Surely every time someone whips out their mobile phone at Roma Street and takes a 'selfie', the authorities should be all over them like a rash.

Total waste of valuable police time and resources.

How is it suspicious? It wasn't the public that viewed it so, it was the people in the CCTV room, who should have known better.

Surely every time someone whips out their mobile phone at Roma Street and takes a 'selfie', the authorities should be all over them like a rash.

Total waste of valuable police time and resources.

Someone waiting around on a platform with a camera can be interpreted as suspicious. While 99 times out of 100 they will be taking photos of the railway and infrastructure, there might be one time that they aren't. With the heightened security for the G20 summit, I feel that in the senario described by Phil that both the people in the CCTV room and the Police were acting in a perfectly acceptable way.

Selfies are an entirely different thing, and don't really come into the scenario as described. One is taking pictures of railways and the surrounding infrastructure without the person in the picture, and one is a shot of someone or a group of people, taken by the person/people in the photo, on the station which includes it as a backdrop.

As a 'young' enthusiast, I have been questioned by police on what I was doing a couple of times, and once the scenario was explained to them in both cases (being on a platform with a large number of people on it when taking photos, with some of those people being in the photos, and taking photos of a train on a station at night when there were people who had been drinking around) they were very understanding. One of the members of the police that was there when I was taking photos in the first scenario now knows me, and will often stop to have a chat with me.

I do not view this as a waste of time or police resources, and fully stand by my original opinion, regardless of whether it is agreed or disagreed with.

• Like 2

Someone waiting around on a platform with a camera can be interpreted as suspicious. While 99 times out of 100 they will be taking photos of the railway and infrastructure, there might be one time that they aren't. With the heightened security for the G20 summit, I feel that in the senario described by Phil that both the people in the CCTV room and the Police were acting in a perfectly acceptable way.

Selfies are an entirely different thing, and don't really come into the scenario as described. One is taking pictures of railways and the surrounding infrastructure without the person in the picture, and one is a shot of someone or a group of people, taken by the person/people in the photo, on the station which includes it as a backdrop.

As a 'young' enthusiast, I have been questioned by police on what I was doing a couple of times, and once the scenario was explained to them in both cases (being on a platform with a large number of people on it when taking photos, with some of those people being in the photos, and taking photos of a train on a station at night when there were people who had been drinking around) they were very understanding. One of the members of the police that was there when I was taking photos in the first scenario now knows me, and will often stop to have a chat with me.

I do not view this as a waste of time or police resources, and fully stand by my original opinion, regardless of whether it is agreed or disagreed with.

1.If I was planning something untoward I can get an image of just about anything and anywhere I want by searching the internet. Why would I go out and risk going out into the open and exposing myself on CCTV to the security services.

2. As for selfies, that was a bit tongue in cheek. If I whip out my phone on the platform how do you know whether I'm taking a selfie or in fact surreptitiously pointing the phone camera at a strategic piece of infrastructure? Therefore I am calling on the security services to apprehend and detain anyone seen on the platform with a mobile phone in their hand before it's too late and a catastrophe happens.

I think you have a great career ahead with ASIO  :jester:

Edited by bingley hall