Australia - Preservation Scene

DavidB-AU

Very. And used in the correct form as well (crossing behind camera).

There was a few codes played over the whistle when it was in Sydney on the long weekend, and used in the correct manor as well (such as 3 short when reversing etc.). Made very good listening!

• RMweb Gold

Really need to stop digging around Youtube...

Classed in Preserved as it's not modern, and the Southern Aurora footage clearly shows BCS 2356, which is now used by THNSW

Very interesting to look at the Campbeltown - Camden area on Googlemaps and compare it with that - Curran Hill would now probably be a commuter town for the city?

Very interesting to look at the Campbeltown - Camden area on Googlemaps and compare it with that - Curran Hill would now probably be a commuter town for the city?

I live in Campbelltown and the line has been obliterated all the way to Narellan. There is a bit of the embankment heading out from Campbelltown station but that is it. Narellan road is now 3 lanes either direction and the whole area is a sea of houses quite unlike what it was when I moved out to this area in 1991. You can still follow a fair bit of the line from Narellan out to Camden though, and the old dairy still exists as does the platform at Camden, albeit in a former car yard

Regards,

Craig

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I live in Campbelltown and the line has been obliterated all the way to Narellan. There is a bit of the embankment heading out from Campbelltown station but that is it. Narellan road is now 3 lanes either direction and the whole area is a sea of houses quite unlike what it was when I moved out to this area in 1991. You can still follow a fair bit of the line from Narellan out to Camden though, and the old dairy still exists as does the platform at Camden, albeit in a former car yard

Regards,

Craig

I have family who live in Narellan and I've stayed there a few times, when we were there over Christmas and new year there was a coach on the old station site at Camden and you can trace parts of the trackbed between Narellan and Camden as well as a tiny bit near Campbelltown, I have a pic of the coach somewhere.

I used to drive down Narellan road most days to get the train at either Macarthur or Campbelltown into the city.

Cheers

Craig

Edited by Craig Watson

Yesterday was the first time I went on a preserved/heritage train that was steam hauled in over a decade!  The last time was Puffing Billy in '03 when I got to cab 7A as it ran around at Gembrook.

Some of my pics from yesterday (the rest are going in the modern scene thread).  All taken from the balcony of the guards van, except the last one, which was just before the train presumably headed to Mayne for the night.

post-11907-0-64937600-1410147909_thumb.jpg

post-11907-0-60867800-1410147914_thumb.jpg

post-11907-0-25156500-1410147919_thumb.jpg

post-11907-0-59882300-1410147923_thumb.jpg

post-11907-0-71496800-1410147927_thumb.jpg

There's only one of the whole train and one of the loco because I was helping out as part of the Workshops Railway Museum contingent so not a lot of time for photos, and given the train was running on the suburban lines, I decided not to risk getting clouted by OHLE poles, signals or another train by leaning out too many times!

I have a video too, but I won't post it as it's almost exactly the same as the last bit of footage in the video David posted (it's actually even got the guys who shot that video in it).

Matt.

• Like 2

The cabs in the photo are actually from a belpaire 36 class, notionally from the two that were not converted from round top boilers (3622 and 3663). There are (or were ) some other cabs that were from the 58 class order. These were originally from Enfield and moved to Thirlmere.

Craig W

Wrong, the cabs are D58 cabs, and are from never built locos 5814 and 5815. 

If you look at this earlier photo of the cabs (http://www.australiansteam.com/nsw/58cabs.jpg) you can just make out the outline of the numbers.

As promised, a large selection of photos from yesterday.

3642 upon arrival at Thirlmere, with Henry face for Day out with Thomas. The keen-eyed will pick out BCH 32259 behind 44211, having been moved so some spares for 3642 could be obtained (having been kept in there)

attachicon.gifDSCF1020 copy.jpg

7006 sits out in the sun, having had it's overhaul finished and helping with some shunting

attachicon.gifDSCF1021 copy.jpg

The Pullman rake sits inside the 'running shed'

attachicon.gifDSCF1024 copy.jpg

As promised, a shot of 3830 tucked away at the back of the running shed, being slowly worked on

attachicon.gifDSCF1025 copy.jpg

And opposite 3830 is 3616, still occasionally being tinkered with

attachicon.gifDSCF1031 copy.jpg

A rare sight was the museums 620/720 set 623/723 operating shuttles up and down between the goods shed platform (opposite the main heritage platform) and the end of the museum shed. This is still in pretty much as withdrawn condition, displaying all the features it ran with in CityRail ownership

attachicon.gifDSCF1051 copy.jpg

Parked behind the 620/720 set was the diesels to take us on the return trip, CFCLA 42220 and 42203. The locomotives are on loan to the museum for a few months to help out with tours and such while some of our own locomotives undergo overhauls

attachicon.gifDSCF1052 copy.jpg

2705 shuttling past with Set 63

attachicon.gifDSCF1054 copy.jpg

4803 sits out on the turntable. It was used to drag 3642 out so it could be lit and worked on, and the pair just fit on the turntable together

attachicon.gifDSCF1055 copy.jpg

As has been known for a long time, 3526s new tender is being re-assembled. This now has all the internals fitted to it and is now mounted on the frame, awaiting the bogies and wheelsets to be finished

attachicon.gifDSCF1059 copy.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF1062 copy.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF1063 copy.jpg

And 3526 herself, awaiting an overhaul and some Caves Express Blue

attachicon.gifDSCF1065 copy.jpg

4520 was also in the roundhouse, undergoing work to the motor

attachicon.gifDSCF1061 copy.JPG

Heading out the back, and the crane was at full height, and had clearly been moving bogies around

attachicon.gifDSCF1068 copy.jpg

And the old tender body of 3526 behind the crane

attachicon.gifDSCF1073 copy.jpg

3265 sits at the end of a road, cold but awaiting it's next trip

attachicon.gifDSCF1078 copy.jpg

Something people may not have seen or know about is the old picnic shelter. It is actually made from D58 cabs* welded back to back, and I believe these were from never built members of the class. Interestingly, despite being welded together at the same height, the cab handrails on the right are higher than those on the left

attachicon.gifDSCF1079 copy.jpg

2705 in Donald guise passes through the gates at the end of the yard

attachicon.gifDSCF1086 copy.jpg

J&A Brown 0-6-4T #5, better known as 'The Major', or Mersey Railway 0-6-4T #1

attachicon.gifDSCF1087 copy.jpg

A spare 19 class bogie tender from 1937 sits out the back on the 'condemned' line (nothing is currently condemned, they all just require a fair bit of work)

attachicon.gifDSCF1091 copy.jpg

SHO 636 out the back in the line of vehicles

attachicon.gifDSCF1094 copy.jpg

And speaking of brake vans, VHO 1816 is undergoing major work at the moment. Seen here in the paint shop, the new outside plywood sheeting is going up on the outside

attachicon.gifDSCF1099 copy.jpg

7921 in the museum

attachicon.gifDSCF1100 copy.jpg

And PWD79

attachicon.gifDSCF1101 copy.jpg

And upon the return to Central, the two 422s running around the train

attachicon.gifDSCF1106 copy.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF1111 copy.jpg

We also had a private coach on the rear of the train, BAM1748

attachicon.gifDSCF1112 copy.jpg

*As correctly pointed out below, this is actually the shelter made from C36 cabs. The fate of the D58 cab shelter is unknown.

They seem to be very reluctant here in NSW to do major overhauls of steam locos because of the cost and seem to do patch up jobs instead. One day engines like 3801, 3830, 3642, 3526, 3265 and others will need new frames. Nothing lasts forever. When G42 was restored it was given brand new frames as the old ones were worn out. New boilers will be needed one day once they've got through the current stock of boilers.

If 3830 needs a brand new boiler/firebox/smokebox I can only hope that they get a local company to do it after all the problems that 3801 has had with the Germans. They should get a local company that is able to build a brand new boiler/firebox/smokebox and not just put out a tender for the cheapest available job.

In a way it's good that the first boiler didn't fit 3801 as it's allowed a much more thorough restoration job than was originally planned.

The same with the locos tyres. They seem to often think "well the tyres are almost worn out so will take the wheels off another loco instead and use those, instead of thinking " those tyres are almost worn out so we'll have to get new ones". Oh Oh the cost the cost!!!!!. They are state owned after all.

I wonder what a 38 would be like with a Lempor exhaust. 

Engines like 3801 and 3830 will never need new frames, owing to the fact that the frames are solid 19.02 tonnes of cast steel.

If you want proof of this, look at the frames of 3813. Before she arrived at Dorrigo and received conservation work, her frames were left out in the weather and elements will little to no corrosion evident to this day.

Wrong, the cabs are D58 cabs, and are from never built locos 5814 and 5815. 

If you look at this earlier photo of the cabs (http://www.australiansteam.com/nsw/58cabs.jpg) you can just make out the outline of the numbers.

Not meaning to be rude, but the cabs are definitely NOT the ones from 5814/15.

For starters, they have handrails in the side. I can also confirm since my mistake and CraigW's correction that I have phoned a member of the restoration team at the museum, and they are the 36 ones. I believe the ones from the 58 are currently stored in 'Area 59', a location with a large amount of spare boilers, including the one previously fitted to 5910.