NGS Journal Reviews

The position of Journal Manager (a committee post BTW) is currently vacant - all you need is someone to propose and second your nomination (and then a few people to vote for you!).

I understand the Richard (the journal editor) has resigned from the committee but still wishes to edit and control content for the journal.

I'm sure that such an arrangement would impact the new person's scope and make it difficult for them to be effective and implement new ideas. So how it envisaged it will work with someone new becoming Journal Manager on the committee?

G.

• RMweb Gold

However, I also wonder whether any of the comments and suggestions made on a thread such as this actually get back to the NGS committee and if any note/action is taken on it. Unfortunately I get the impression that if they don't actively source content for the journal they are unlikely to also regularly check through websites, forums and other magazines for ideas, news and feedback. At least the OP contacted them directly.

Well you have at least one NGS Committee member reading (and commenting) on this thread! I know that the last couple of Committee meetings have touched on some of these issues.

One thought that occurred to me is when were the class 70 review samples received? If it was around the time for the deadline for content for the Journal then that might be part of an explanation for the OP's issues.

Cheers, Mike

One thought that occurred to me is when were the class 70 review samples received? If it was around the time for the deadline for content for the Journal then that might be part of an explanation for the OP's issues.

Plenty of time I would have thought (assuming they were all sent out together by Bachmann) to get a review in the 3/13 Journal. I wrote the class 70 review for Rail Express Modeller and the model I had was sent on to me after being photographed by Simon and still made it in time for their June issue (which is published in May). And Ben's Model Rail reveiw is in the current issue recently published.

G.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

An interesting thread - thanks to David for starting it.

As far as the NGS journal goes, the question of reviews is a tricky one - and continually under (ahem) review.

Because the NGS journal is bi-monthly, and has a longer lead-time than most commercial magazines (including, I suspect, the excellent "Nspirations") the opinion has often been expressed that long, detailed reviews are a pointless waste of pagination because such reading will have long been available in the hobby magazines or the web.

If, increasingly, our members feel that the commercial magazines and Nspirations are failing to provide the level of detailed review they require then I am sure the editor will reconsider. However, my own feeling is that the reviews in the commercial magazines and Nspirations are more than adequate. (I am biased of course as I write many of the modern image reviews for Model Rail.)

With regard to the general content of the NGS journal, again it should be borne in mind that the journal is, in part, intended to complement, not replace, other available reading. It is by its members and for its members, and prides itself on including contributions from (and examples of the work of) all members - no matter what their skill level, age or experience.

cheers

Ben A. (NGS VP)

PS I tend not to write reviews for the journal for two reasons: 1) It's hard to write two different reviews of the same product, and no one wants to read a Model rail rehash and (2) I wouldn't want to crowd out the opinions of other potential reviewers.

PS I tend not to write reviews for the journal for two reasons: 1) It's hard to write two different reviews of the same product, and no one wants to read a Model rail rehash and (2) I wouldn't want to crowd out the opinions of other potential reviewers.

Ben,

I did think of this after I'd pressed POST on my post :banghead:

Sorry if I pushed you into getting involved in this thread, when you probably didn't want to.

Regards

Neal.

• RMweb Gold

Ben,

I did think of this after I'd pressed POST on my post :banghead:

Sorry if I pushed you into getting involved in this thread, when you probably didn't want to.

Regards

Neal.

Hi Neal

No worries - I am always happy to contribute, and always happy to answer questions about the NGS!

I think that David and other posters to this thread have made some valid and useful comments that deserve to be aired and discussed.  Both Mike H and I have contributed in the hope that such a dialogue will answer some of the questions and show that we are always keen to hear the views of our members, whatever they have to say!

No one is claiming the NGS is perfect and we should all be ready to look for the bad as well as the good.

cheers

Ben A.

Archived