Peco Coach side panels

hartleymartin

Should I use 3'0" wheels or 3'7" wheel for the coach? My experience of very early 4-wheel short coaches were that they ran on 3'0" wheels. (Powerhouse Museum, Sydney)

Mine is loosely based on this 2nd class coach of the Great Southern and Western Railway (later the New South Wales Government Railways)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83791520@N00/4438729137/

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=208535

A little bit of trivia - this carriage was originally numbered "6" before becoming no. 68 and later, W730 on the duplicate register where it was used as a work van. At restoration it was given the number "9" the website says that it has no significance, but I happen to know for a fact, that the NSWR often used the same artwork for 6 and 9 simply by inverting the decal or cast number. Chances are the apprentices put the intended decal on upside down.

Don't forget six wheeled coaches, then there is the often forgotten eight wheeled coaches that did not have bogies. these had the outer axles fixed to the body with the inner two axles working like the middle axle on a six wheeled coach.

Then bogies were introduced and that was that.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see the photos of these coaches, I guess you're not going to model the 'colonial' double roofs (or are you)?

Interesting to see the photos of these coaches, I guess you're not going to model the 'colonial' double roofs (or are you)?

Interesting suggestion! I had not previously considered this possibility, but I think that having the double-roof would make for an interesting back-story for coaches that were a cancelled order for a colonial railway.

• 1 month later...

Taking on the "colonial coach" idea, I've made a start on the interior of the coach body. The body is divided into four compartments, but these are paired together with half-height partitions. This is a feature which later disappeared from compartment coaches. As far as I can tell this was only done so that only two lamps would be needed instead of four. The interior is made up of a 1mm thick styrene floor onto which the seating and partitions are glued. The paritions are made from 1mm styrene sheet and the seats are plastic slaters ones. There are a number of odd sections of styrene used to form a glueing surface and hold them onto the floor. There is a surprising amount of weight with the whole lot glued together. When the coach exterior ends are added the coach will be 23 scale feet long - an unusual measurement, but intended to be an anonymous 19th century hand-me-down which has found it's way into light railway service instead of becoming a storage shed or henhouse. It will make a good companion for the Ixion Hudswell Clarke I have.

I wonder how many passengers should I put into the interior? Sometimes I think that having none would be quite prototypical for a light railway in later days!

• 2 weeks later...

I glued some 4.8mm scribed sheet to the ends of the coach and filed it to shape. i got the arc of the roof from an old CD laying around. Buffer beams and sole bars from 6.35mm x 2.5mm styrene. I glued on those axle box assemblies at a 14'0" wheelbase (the coach is only 23'0" long) They are only cosmetic. When I get the spring assemblies from Connessiour models they will take the weight of the coach. I just need to make the roof, obtain some suitable buffers and coupling hooks and get it up on it's wheels. Oh yes, I need to prime and paint the thing too I suppose! I might think about adding footboards. I don't know yet.

It's a freelanced coach, loosely based on an FR 4-wheel coach. The model scales out at 8'0" wide, and 23'0" long with a 14'0" wheelbase. I'll probably make the roof out of laminated balsa, covered in cartridge paper and stiffened up with superglue (somewhat akin to a Jenkinson method, I think)

I'm actually really enjoying freelance modelling. It rather heavily relies on Rule #1 (it's my railway and I'll run what I like!) But it suits my eclectic tastes.

I apologise for a lack of photos as I went along. My phone is broken and it isn't easy to take progress shots without it.

Archived