LMS Suburban coaches

Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

The D1701 build is nearing completion, just the jumper cables, vac pipes and the train alarm gear to one end to attach. Then the interior needs building.

post-16241-0-70897100-1372262235_thumb.jpg

There should be louvered vent above the doors, does anybody make them or would they have been removed in Stanier's time? Over to you, I think, Larry? The roof was ready to go as it was from another composite whose paint job I was unhappy with and has been stripped, perhaps this will be the next build? The holes in the Dapol roof were filled with modeller's putty and new ones drilled to the pattern provided by Comet. It's only plonked on the sides, so is a little high in the middle.

Louver vents fr LMS Period I coaches are available as etchings from 247 Developments I think. They would still be in place right up to scrapping although I have seen the odd metal hood replacement. By 1960 the old suburbans were being kept in traffic with cream droplights from scrapped corridor coaches and even in grey primer.

A speedy way of producing louvers is to place a steel straight-edge about 4mm from the edge of a sheet of 20 thou plastikard and draw an X-Acto 235 saw blade along it several times until a perfect louver has been produced. Cut it from the sheet the correct depth and then cut it into small pieces the length you require. Simple round the corners and attach with Loctite before spraying the model. I use this method on LNWR coaches that require long louvers.

• RMweb Gold

I managed to get the roof painted and an undercoat on the body, then realised I had forgotten the louvers above the doors, so I added them after.

post-16241-0-51866700-1372877784_thumb.jpg

I doubt you can see the louver effect but they are there a la the Larry Goddard method.

Edit. No you cannot see them!

• RMweb Gold

Has anybody the "deliberate, on purpose, 'onest gov" mistake on the D1701? It was corrected last night. Thank goodness I had only used Evostik, so no damage done.

• RMweb Gold

Well, the mistake has been corrected and a further undercoat sprayed.

post-16241-0-79791600-1373101230.jpg

I had the brake cylinders and the V-hangers the wrong way round!

Some of the louvers can be seen in this outdoor shot.

• RMweb Gold

I gave the coach a couple of coats of Halford's Rover damask red but was not pleased with the colour so I gave it another coat with Precision LMS crimson (dull) which is much better.

post-16241-0-97237600-1373657121_thumb.jpg

The photo was taken outside this evening using flash, so it's a bit dark. Just the lining etc to go and the windows.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, the D1701 is complete.

post-16241-0-41807100-1375459397.jpg

This side has been lightly weathered al la Coachmann, very dilute acrylic black and couple of drops of red and a drop of washing-up liquid. Applied with a fine brush and wiped off with a tissue.

• RMweb Gold

I put the period 2 and period 1 composites side by side. This is the side of the D1701 that has not been weathered. The D1734 is furthest from the camera and is waiting having its middle lining in the right place, i.e. just below the windows.

post-16241-0-67858000-1375459772_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The brake third D1735 has been painted too. I have left the grab handles off until later to see if this makes placing the lining any easier.

post-16241-0-99187000-1375463043.jpg

I have also started a D1906A all third a period 3 vehicle with "Stanier" roof. This time the grab handles are in place and its painted. Now awaits insignia and lining out.

post-16241-0-43317500-1375463182.jpg

Neither roofs are fixed and so are bowed, being raised in the middle. A dollop of Evostik and a night under the SWMBO's 2 lbs. measuring weight does the trick.

• RMweb Gold

The brake third to D1735 has been completed save for the door handles (to be ordered) and gluing the roof in place, hence it being a little high in the middle. No weathering as yet, but may receive a light treatment.

post-16241-0-25016000-1375623502.jpg

post-16241-0-74429200-1375623722.jpg

This was the coach where the grab handles were put in place after the lining had gone on. Much easier to apply the lining of course but gluing the handles with superglue was a pain as it kept on leaking through to the front. May have to rethink this one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Now that the bits from Comet Models have arrived I have made a start on a D1965 Stanier brake third. This will be the last on Dapol underframe. I realised I have not put up a photo of the D1906A now that it is finished. I'll try and get one this weekend.

• RMweb Gold

I have a new (well, new to me) camera so here is a shot of the D1906A complete save for the door handles.

post-16241-0-57275700-1378048921_thumb.jpg

You probably can just spot that I have attempted some sort of pattern on the seat cover in the window of the second compartment from the right..

• RMweb Gold

I have fitted the door handles to D1906A so at least the passengers can get on board. I am really pleased with this camera, a Pentax. No flashed used, taken inside at 6 pm.

post-16241-0-02807400-1378315896_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-89883700-1378315928_thumb.jpg

And a couple showing progress on D1964.

post-16241-0-95533900-1378315979_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-74204800-1378316014_thumb.jpg

That is excellent and quality work.

I am inspired to try one for myself, although in BR livery. I presume they survived long enough to be seen in lined maroon? Or might the earlier crimson be more accurate?

• RMweb Premium

That is excellent and quality work.

I am inspired to try one for myself, although in BR livery. I presume they survived long enough to be seen in lined maroon? Or might the earlier crimson be more accurate?

both

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. That is great news.

I'm afraid that I am not well up on non-vestibule coaching stock :(

Hi Jonny, I am pleased this has inspired you to have a go, don't forget to put your own coach-building thread on here so we can follow progress. Most of these coaches lasted well into the 1960s and at least you wouldn't have to line them if modelling late in their careers.

Spot the deliberate mistake No 2. I have forgotten to put the "Stanier" roof ribs on the roof of D1964 but have painted it..doh! I think I'll use thin strips of insulation tape or similar rather than glue Microstip on as I usually do and ruin the paint job.

The Stanier non-corridor coaches did get lined livery in both carmine red and maroon althoug many ran unlined. (The earlier Period II and I non-corridors usually ran unlined unless they were fitted for Motor Train working). The models are looking good and you have obviously looked carefully at photos of the prototype when placing the insignia. I like such coaches but they are a pain with all the doorhandles and door hoods. 

• RMweb Gold

The D1964 in etch primer undercoat and now with "Stanier" roof ribs. They are not as prominent in real life and it looks as though one isn't stuck down properly.

post-16241-0-62353800-1378637418_thumb.jpg

Unlike D1735, Mr Stanier put two lots of double doors in each side of his brake ends.

post-16241-0-66101400-1378637439_thumb.jpg

Once painting and lining are completed I'll attach the short footboards to the brake end bogies and a step at the other right hand side only as they are a bit delicate if put on beforehand.

Archived