Contemplating a purchase - need help deciding if worth it.

Evening,

The thread title says it all really.  I've been watching a Farish model of 37671 'Tre Pol and Pen'  (Cat. No. 371-158) for some time now and recently, I've noticed the price has dropped, not much in UK money (4 pounds) but equivalent of a $20 drop here, which for me is quite a lot.  I'm really considering getting it now as I don't think it is currently in production and don't want to miss out.

Thing is, I want to model it to look like the two pics of the real one in this post and I am wondering what work would need to be done to the model and, how difficult it would be to do.

So, what I'd like to know is:

- Is this model a good starting point for a detailing project? or

- Should I wait for a better model/use another as a base model?

Thanks in advance.

Matt.

Edit:just realised my maths is wrong, should be 14 pounds, not 4!

It should be noted that this is the Poole Farish model not the new (or indeed forthcoming in the case of the 37/5s) Blue Ribbon one. There's a catalogue of "faults" but it does look like a 37, though lacks NEM couplings, a DCC socket and lighting.<br /><br />It's only recently we've had the luxury of a correct sized 37 so there's plenty of detailing kits and bits out there that can get you a good looking model.<br /><br />I'd say buy it if the identity is important to you and/or you want the "project".

I've found that Australia Post are fairly reliable, but having said that, I haven't really ordered that much over the net.  So far, I've only had one order take more than a week to arrive, so it's probably come a slightly different route to the others.  There was another that took more than a week but that was because I'd ordered it after hours the day before a British public holiday, so I can't really fault the postal systems for that one.

Matt.

It should be noted that this is the Poole Farish model

Not precisely. It's the Poole Farish body tooling, on the newer style Bachmann Farish chassis. You're right that neither are the brand new tool Blue Riband model. However, the Bachmann model is different to the Poole model with a completely different chassis design and low profile thick geared blackened wheels.

This seems to be one of the rarer ones (i.e. rarer in the sense it doesn't seem to be seen secondhand so often). I suspect you could get it cheaper than this if a suitable one came up on eBay, particularly as it's the old tooling model.

IMHO these certainly aren't worth the £89.95 that one of those sellers was asking....

Cheers,

Alan

Archived