Brighton Belle Coupling Swap

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Hey all.

Just wondering if anyone has any clues as to how I would go about converting the Hornby Brighton Belle coaches to be loco hauled. I want to use the correct coaches for my VSOE train that I'm modelling. I have a few mods I need to do to the other Hornby VSOE coaches I have. Thanks in advance.

Hilux

This is based on a quick inspection of the service sheets for the 5BEL and 2BIL and not on actual experience of having done this so take this with a large pinch of salt.

The spare part from Horny you would want is X6581 (Couplings, Screws, Springs) from the 2BIL. You should be able to substitute those for the close coupling cams on the 5BEL coaches which will give you a close coupling mechanism with a NEM pocket which is (hopefully) at the right height. There's a couple of spare suppliers out there of course. The CCM mechanisms from Hornby Pullman or Gresley coaches might be more appropriate.

The VSOE train uses all Gresley bogies so you might want to swap those too.  Of course, you would also need to add pickups for the table lights too.  I was thinking of doing it with "Hazel" (as I can't fit a five-coach Belle into the sidings on my Southern line), but knowing I won't get round to it for ages, have decided to sell her instead.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that exet. I didn't realise the entire train was Gresley bogies. I thought it was just the ex-Brighton Belle coaches. I'm hoping that the wiring from the couplings Xan just be connected to rubbing arms as per the standard Hornby Pullmans but will have to wait & see I think.

Thanks for that exet. I didn't realise the entire train was Gresley bogies. I thought it was just the ex-Brighton Belle coaches. I'm hoping that the wiring from the couplings Xan just be connected to rubbing arms as per the standard Hornby Pullmans but will have to wait & see I think.

I think you will find the ex-Brighton Bell cars are on B5's (look like B4's)

A point to be noted here is that I don't think that the lamps will work. The model has electrical couplings and only forms a circuit to light the lamps when you couple it between the end coaches/motor units.

At least, I think that that is the situation

Archived