post-17982-0-44065400-1371330268_thumb.jpg

65033 hauled the last train over Stainmore hauled by a J21 on the 7th May 1960. This was an R.C.T.S. special from Darlington to Tebay and Carlisle. As a result there are a lot more pictures of this loco than the others in the class. So when I scratch built a model of a J21.I built it in the same condition as 65033 was in 1960, as there were plenty of pictures to consult. I have now got a coat of black paint on my model and it is time to add the number transfers. though I now think a model of 65033 is a bit of a clieche so I was wondering is my model suitable for any other J21s. So were any other J21s in this condition?

67A boiler.

Short smoke box.

Vacuum ejector

steam brake

no westinghouse pump

tender with four coal rails

brake rods outside wheels

NER buffers.

I think I am stuck with 65033 as I have seen no other pictures of j21s in the same condition but perhaps you know better.

attachicon.gifIMG_1055 - Copy.JPG

65033 hauled the last train over Stainmore hauled by a J21 on the 7th May 1960. This was an R.C.T.S. special from Darlington to Tebay and Carlisle. As a result there are a lot more pictures of this loco than the others in the class. So when I scratch built a model of a J21.I built it in the same condition as 65033 was in 1960, as there were plenty of pictures to consult. I have now got a coat of black paint on my model and it is time to add the number transfers. though I now think a model of 65033 is a bit of a clieche so I was wondering is my model suitable for any other J21s. So were any other J21s in this condition?

67A boiler.

Short smoke box.

Vacuum ejector

steam brake

no westinghouse pump

tender with four coal rails

brake rods outside wheels

NER buffers.

I think I am stuck with 65033 as I have seen no other pictures of j21s in the same condition but perhaps you know better.

Don't forget it was a normal J21 all the rest of the time, doing normal duties just like all the others with the vacuum brake. The pick-up goods, trip working and the odd passenger turn so I wouldn't worry. I did 65033 for a friends railway based in Farndale, next valley from North Yorkshire Moors railway and being vac fitted it worked the two coach local.

Dave Franks

• RMweb Premium

I'd just like to congratulate the OP on a super model - we don't see so many scratch locos these days.

Cue for somebody to announce a rtr one next year?

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Lovely model David. I am currently building a model of 65033, but have cheated and used the Dave Alexander kit (very good it is too).

I have struggled to ascertain its condition so your post was most welcome. The final area I'm struggling with is the tender brake gear. Did this loco have inside or outside tender brake rods in the 1960s? Hope you can help as it's not clear from the photo.

Roger

I must confess that my loco does not have tender brake gear on, one day I may get around to putting it on. As far as I know when a j21 had a vacuum brake fitted its bake rods were moved to the outside on both the tender and engine. Though I am willing to be proved wrong on that account. 65033 had out side rods on its tender. they are visible on pictures of it on the 7th May 1960 special. On page 160 of the Stainmore and Eden Valley Railways they are visible in pictures on page 180 and 171. They are also visible in this photo. 

http://www.railuk.info/gallery/album_search.php?offset=69&first_id=1&last_id=74&item=&album=1

You may be interested in my scratch building a j21 thread in which some one else has also posted a picture of a model of 65033 awaiting painting

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75757-scratchbuilding-a-lner-j21/page-5&do=findComment&comment=1419885

I hope this is of some use to you. Please post a picture of your completed model

regards

David

nice work btw . I'm doing 65098 (verrrrry slowly) and the hardest fact to ascertain has been the mechanical lubricator linkage. Most if not all sources indicate that formerly superheated engines kept the lubricator drive (external drive fitted by the LNER post 1942, NER internal drive pre '42). I've not researched '33 but will have to do it eventually having  a D&B Rly/Stainmore location to model, so would be intrigued to know its 1960 condition regarding this tiny detail.

twa-dogs

There is a picture of 65098 in 1949 in yeadons register vol. 47 part A. It has an external linkage. I can not imagine that they would have converted it back to a NER fitting rather than an LNER one. 

As 65033 pulled the last j21 hauled special over Stainmore in 1960 there are plenty of pictures of both sides of it on one day so you can get a model completely correct. Unlike every other member of the class which you only have what pictures you can find often years apart for each side. I am having this problem with my model of 65061 with only a few pictures to work from. One of the reasons there is so many models of 65033 is you have lots of pictures to work from.

regards

David

• RMweb Premium

Roger

I must confess that my loco does not have tender brake gear on, one day I may get around to putting it on. As far as I know when a j21 had a vacuum brake fitted its bake rods were moved to the outside on both the tender and engine. Though I am willing to be proved wrong on that account. 65033 had out side rods on its tender. they are visible on pictures of it on the 7th May 1960 special. On page 160 of the Stainmore and Eden Valley Railways they are visible in pictures on page 180 and 171. They are also visible in this photo. 

http://www.railuk.info/gallery/album_search.php?offset=69&first_id=1&last_id=74&item=&album=1

You may be interested in my scratch building a j21 thread in which some one else has also posted a picture of a model of 65033 awaiting painting

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75757-scratchbuilding-a-lner-j21/page-5&do=findComment&comment=1419885

I hope this is of some use to you. Please post a picture of your completed model

regards

David

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much David, I can now finish the tender and move on to the loco chassis. I will add some photos as I go.

quote name="Roger Sunderland" post="1424222" timestamp="1397988318"]

Roger

I must confess that my loco does not have tender brake gear on, one day I may get around to putting it on. As far as I know when a j21 had a vacuum brake fitted its bake rods were moved to the outside on both the tender and engine. Though I am willing to be proved wrong on that account. 65033 had out side rods on its tender. they are visible on pictures of it on the 7th May 1960 special. On page 160 of the Stainmore and Eden Valley Railways they are visible in pictures on page 180 and 171. They are also visible in this photo. http://www.railuk.info/gallery/album_search.php?offset=69&first_id=1&last_id=74&item=&album=1

regards

David

Roger

I must confess that my loco does not have tender brake gear on, one day I may get around to putting it on. As far as I know when a j21 had a vacuum brake fitted its bake rods were moved to the outside on both the tender and engine. Though I am willing to be proved wrong on that account. 65033 had out side rods on its tender. they are visible on pictures of it on the 7th May 1960 special. On page 160 of the Stainmore and Eden Valley Railways they are visible in pictures on page 180 and 171. They are also visible in this photo. http://www.railuk.info/gallery/album_search.php?offset=69&first_id=1&last_id=74&item=&album=1

regards

David

Archived