Emergency Rock Salt by Rail?

Yesterday afternoon I saw a GBRF container train heading north on the Doncaster -Selby Line and later reversing into The Potter Group yard at Selby-it didn't appear to be the normal "Medite Shipping" train from Felixstowe as all the containers were unbranded and in blue, and all appeared to have hatches in the top. was this an emergency rock salt train, or just a new, regular train to Potters?

Yesterday afternoon I saw a GBRF container train heading north on the Doncaster -Selby Line and later reversing into The Potter Group yard at Selby-it didn't appear to be the normal "Medite Shipping" train from Felixstowe as all the containers were unbranded and in blue, and all appeared to have hatches in the top. was this an emergency rock salt train, or just a new, regular train to Potters?

Awwwwww Thought you were going to tell us you'd seen a pair of 25/9s on a train from Over & Warton then !!!

My mistake, that was when we were a United Kingdom !!!

Awwwwww Thought you were going to tell us you'd seen a pair of 25/9s on a train from Over & Warton then !!!

My mistake, that was when we were a United Kingdom !!!

There have been long-distance rock salt trains from Cheshire since then, Phil, albeit in containers road-hauled to Manchester then forwarded to Scotland- these definitely ran a couple of years ago.

I noted on the BBC News site that queues of lorries at British Salt, Middlewich were blocking up nearby towns- a quick glance at Quail shows there are still sidings in place.

There is, of course, rock salt forwarded from Boulby mine in North Yorkshire by rail, but this normally runs only as far as Middlesborough Goods. There it's tipped and forwarded by road to local authorities around the country. I wonder if anyone at DBS or Freightliner is looking to see what can be organised under Very Short-Term Planning?

The problem with using containers is handling them- perhaps we ought to look at the self-loading tipping container trailer that SNCF use.

Like this?

http://ukrailrolling.../p32983050.html

They are gypsum containers & they normally work from Drax at the moment, maybe an operating problem caused a divert and they were using Potter Group as an alternative unloading point?

No-they are smaller (3 to a wagon). They appear to have discharge points along the side-I snatched a (poor) photo which I will upload when I can

Sorry Glorious NSE-I replied in haste-those on the picture are the ones-the "discharge doors" would be the holes for the loader/unloader-how do they thaw them out at Potters? Steam cleaning?-I would have thought that steam and heat would be in plentiful supply at Drax!

Depressingly (to me anyway) the salt works at Runcorn is shipping two huge convoys of salt out by road :

BBC news article

I can remember, not all that long ago when a 'convoy' of salt used to run regularly by rail from Over and Warton to Scotland to build up the salt stockpile (in Inverness IIRC?) once a week or so (in HEA wagons I think, up until the early 90s)

Over and Warton no longer has a rail connection (and some bright spark let them build a housing estate over the alignment pretty quickly, although the huge rock salt mine is still there within spitting distance of the WCML)

Runcorn - where Ineos is dispatching this train from- at least still has a rail connection, quite why they thought it was better to send 50 extra trucks onto the roads given the weather conditions you've got up there rather than use rail I'm not sure :(

PS 34C here today. Due to hit 41C tomorrow. Thought that would cheer you all up ;)

• RMweb Gold

There is, of course, rock salt forwarded from Boulby mine in North Yorkshire by rail, but this normally runs only as far as Middlesborough Goods. There it's tipped and forwarded by road to local authorities around the country. I wonder if anyone at DBS or Freightliner is looking to see what can be organised under Very Short-Term Planning?

The problem with using containers is handling them- perhaps we ought to look at the self-loading tipping container trailer that SNCF use.

Under its Planning Permissions Boulby is bound to ship out its product by rail and its current contract is with Freightliner. As far as I know it has no stockpile of salt - apart from building up for train loading - and its salt output is in a direct relationship to its main output of potash (i.e to get more salt out they would have to get out more potash).

So while there might be some VSTP capacity to shift the stuff in terms of locos and crews etc they would also need to be able to extract it and find some wagons to put it in.

Under its Planning Permissions Boulby is bound to ship out its product by rail and its current contract is with Freightliner. As far as I know it has no stockpile of salt - apart from building up for train loading - and its salt output is in a direct relationship to its main output of potash (i.e to get more salt out they would have to get out more potash).

So while there might be some VSTP capacity to shift the stuff in terms of locos and crews etc they would also need to be able to extract it and find some wagons to put it in.

It's stockpiled in a very big heap at Middlesborough Goods- sent down in containers, which are then lifted off on to a tipping skeletal trailer, and tipped in a very big heap.

Depressingly (to me anyway) the salt works at Runcorn is shipping two huge convoys of salt out by road :

BBC news article

I can remember, not all that long ago when a 'convoy' of salt used to run regularly by rail from Over and Warton to Scotland to build up the salt stockpile (in Inverness IIRC?) once a week or so (in HEA wagons I think, up until the early 90s)

According to the Scottish Government, the salt supplies they've bought in this time have come by sea, presumably in containers, landing at Rosyth and Aberdeen. I presume, given those are both reasonably central and parts of the railway network are rather treacherous just now, they'll be going on by road.

• RMweb Gold

It's stockpiled in a very big heap at Middlesborough Goods- sent down in containers, which are then lifted off on to a tipping skeletal trailer, and tipped in a very big heap.

I don't know who it belongs to at that point as it is not a terminal operated by Cleveland Potash (unless they have been holding out on their rail safety advisors ;) ). And lately the only vehicles seen up at Boulby on safety inspections have been hoppers (of two different types) although the wagon type doesn't matter at that end as salt is in any case loaded from an overhead silo.

I don't know who it belongs to at that point as it is not a terminal operated by Cleveland Potash (unless they have been holding out on their rail safety advisors ;) ). And lately the only vehicles seen up at Boulby on safety inspections have been hoppers (of two different types) although the wagon type doesn't matter at that end as salt is in any case loaded from an overhead silo.

It was a while ago when I saw containers there. I believe the Middlesborough Goods operation was run by Cobra Railfreight of Wakefield, who used to run the containerised coke services from Derwenthaugh- at one time, the erstwhile coke containers and the various Boplate derivatives that carried them were working out of Boulby to Middlesborough Goods and Avonmouth.

• RMweb Premium

Before the HEA's, they used 12T opens. Ran via Blackburn, Hellifield and the S&C. Used to play hell with the track circuits on a rainy day as the salt solution is conductive and tripped the track circuits! Clitheroe level crossing used to fail quite regularly, either due to leakage from the wagons - or even a road gritter.

Cheers,

Mick

Archived