Help needed signalling 50s/60s Highland layout

Hi, was hoping that some of the more knowledgable members of this forums would be able to assist me as I am relatively clueless in this area of railways but nonetheless find signalling fascinating. I have included a diagram below. Signalling is to be semaphore with 2 boxes.

Thanks.

post-2953-12628594112212_thumb.png

OK - you have my attention - but where is it?

The geography seems rather confusing given the labelling of the lines from the station.

Have a look at:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/_maps/index.htm

to see what I mean.

Sorry guess I should have mentioned it is based on the possibility of the G.N.S.R building their own route to Inverness, I am supposing this could have made a link with the Forres-Aviemore route around Edinkillie. That answer your question?

Well, a signal engineer needs to know what moves the Traffic dept. want to make. For instance on your plan, a freight arriving from Forres in the down loop, are there run round facilities in the goods yard? If not then the engine will have to uncouple, run-round through the up loop and then propel.

Will trains from Forres be able to enter the Up-Branch-Down?

A loco comes out of the loco yard and goes where?

All these things need to be considered when drawing up a signalling diagram.

Can you give some indication of the moves you want to make?

Guest stuartp

Well, I sketched something out earlier based on what little I know of GNSR practice (OK, I looked at some photos), what existed at Newton Stewart after the LMS re-signalled it which was a similar set up with 3 platform faces, a branch and two boxes with short sections between, and general principles. I won't post it because it looks a lot like Flyingsignalman's except his has a far more sensible treatment of the loop than I'd got.

One difference I'd got was distants under 3, 7, 29, 30 and 31 rather than (or possibly as well as) slotting them. That's how Newton Stewart was arranged after re-signalling, distants all over the place. However, I've also got a pre-alterations photo which shows a very similar arrangement to that drawn by Flyingsignalman.

If you make the goods and loco shed connections cross the Dn and trail into the Up, you save two facing point locks and signal no.5. Signals 21 & 22 become shunting signals in the 6' rather than miniature arms bracketed off no.20. There are precedents for both arrangements on Scottish passing loops.

Interesting project !

Thanks for the replies they are very helpful will just have to get round to doing something now! I find both Flying signalman's and stuartp's comments interesting, realised after laying the track should have made the connections to the yards trailing from the down but couldn't face ripping the track up again!

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not sure if you would that much slotting on a single track route but you never know.

In view of the fact that the Highland used at least some slotting at almost every small crossing station (because of its habit of providing a signal cabin at each end of the loop) even though there was often only one Signalman I suspect that slotting of signals on a single track route was probably more common in Scotland than most other parts of the British Isles.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if you would that much slotting on a single track route but you never know.

In view of the fact that the Highland used at least some slotting at almost every small crossing station (because of its habit of providing a signal cabin at each end of the loop) even though there was often only one Signalman I suspect that slotting of signals on a single track route was probably more common in Scotland than most other parts of the British Isles.

The Highland were indeed found of slotting but given the layout I think the slotting that flyingsignalman has used would be reasonable anyway.

I'm not sure the single line has much to do with it really, its working of bi-directional lines between cabins thats the issue - sometimes direction levers were used and sometimes slots.

Archived