Class 50 M/U boxes

Ray M

Just a little question for the class 50 fans.

How many of them had Jumper cables ( has we used to call them) in the 60`s.

I know that D400 had them before entering service ,at Vulcan works,

and that they were painted orange.

Later ones had them painted a really dark grey/black colour at a later date , but when.

i was then flicking through a book, at the Wigan show

and came across a photo of 50011(tops number) with the dark coloured boxes,

how long did this last like this.

Thanks to all who reply.

Just a little question for the class 50 fans.

How many of them had Jumper cables ( has we used to call them) in the 60`s.

I know that D400 had them before entering service ,at Vulcan works,

and that they were painted orange.

Later ones had them painted a really dark grey/black colour at a later date , but when.

i was then flicking through a book, at the Wigan show

and came across a photo of 50011(tops number) with the dark coloured boxes,

how long did this last like this.

Thanks to all who reply.

AFAIK only D400 and D401 had multiple working connections from new. All others were delivered with the wiring installed but with blanking plates fitted. All these had boxes and cables fitted c1970 when the 50s were rostered in pairs north of Crewe during the WCML northern section electrification work.

Do you have a link to a shot with the grey/black boxes in place - Maybe I haven't noticed before but I assumed they were always orange (albeit filthy dirty) ?

Thanks

I was still unconvinced regarding the black connection boxes but having scrolled through Class50.com this photo appears to confirm that they were originally black:

http://www.class50.com/c50_zoom.php?img=0140020123000

Other photos could be mistaken as being very dirty orange in poor light conditions but the above photo of 436 (with no cable on the front either) seals it for me.

Just goes to show that it's always best to keep an open mind.

• RMweb Premium

The "pre-orange" colour of the MW boxes has puzzled me for a while. Different photos suggest different colours. This could be more down to variations in film stock (and the age of the pictures now), some look black, some could be Rail Blue, or perhaps they were unpainted castings. I've found pictures suggesting each option. In the end I went for a very dark grey, which might not be right it transforms the look of the Hornby model into something from the early years. But I'd happily repaint mine if definitive evidence emerges.

Don't forget the open door against the nose end on the dummy receptacle holding the plug. I used a black transfer, cut down from the backing for an XP marking used on wagons.

http://www.class50.c...g=0140020123000 is interesting as it is a pair of locos, but with no cables on the front. I wonder if there are cables at the other end? And looking more closely, is the driver's windscreen wiper missing? Fascinating stuff.

HillsideDepot, on 21 Jun 2013 - 23:55, said:

http://www.class50.c...g=0140020123000 is interesting as it is a pair of locos, but with no cables on the front. I wonder if there are cables at the other end? And looking more closely, is the driver's windscreen wiper missing? Fascinating stuff.

I think you only need there to be a cable on the loco behind so long as the sockets on the leading loco are enabled. A single connection should be sufficient, a double connection would just be providing redundancy.

Thanks to all who replied.

Sorry about not being able to post a picture of 50011,

can`t remember which book it was in.

There is a photo on flikr,of D401 at Crewe works,

with dark coloured boxes under the second man`s

& a orange coloured box under the drivers window.

so they where painted different colours.

again sorry can`t post that pic as i`m not that good on a PC.

There is a photo on flikr,of D401 at Crewe works,

with dark coloured boxes under the second man`s

& a orange coloured box under the drivers window.

so they where were painted different colours.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49582157@N00/3923618832/in/photolist-6YHzby-5LRwqe-4QLiuh-eafN5u-eaaa3t-eafPUU-eaa7je-eafMCU-eaa7q2-eaa9Bz-eaa7Xp-eafMPE-9ZgYsU-4Da9nS-5NEU93-5LRuwn-6xQLGL-dkbYc4-5UoTgi-b55nwg-bx5TLj

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24292321@N02/2359427899/in/photolist-4AuFHn-cEsY7j-8Z9cNk

Thanks for the 2 above pics.

I just love the way that they paint out the intercity sign. And it looks like 50028 as still got its "on hire" plaque, mid body.

I have to admit, that i can`t remember the black boxes ,even from all the trips around Crewe works on a Sunday ,in the very early 70`s.

The class always seemed to look a lot longer , way back then.

No nameplates ,real numbers , and intercity signs on all 4 corners. and a filthy soot black roof.

it was pure shock back then ,to see that the class was going down to the west ,to replace the lovely Wezzies.

Yet i still love to see photos of the pair, working side by side.

Archived