Bulleid, Maunsell and Hawksworth coaches - did they last until the 1970's

Ben04uk

hi there

resurrecting an old thread on pre nationalisation designs of sleeping cars that made it to BR blue grey days

trying to find any evidence & photos of GW designed hawksworth sleeping cars in blue grey - can anyone help, please

i know that LMS and LNER designs of sleeping cars made it to the late 60 and 70's in blue grey but although there are here anecdotal statements that GW designs did too I cannot find a photo

cheers 

Edited by rogace

• RMweb Premium

a file on the BRCoachingStock Yahoo site, researched by Mick Bond, says there were only three GWR coaches which made it into blue/grey, all SKs

dia.C82 W2135W and dia.C84 W1719W/W2283W for use with catering trolleys between Plymouth & Penzance (source: M Harris, 'Great Western Coaches from 1890', 1993)

• 1 year later...

Push Pull coach DS70155 ex SR no 5600 made it to rail blue and even had yellow ends. The Bullieds that survived until 1970 were in maroon with black and yellow lining. These were repainted at Eastleigh as part of a swap for mk1 vehicles to be converted to TC or Reps from memory.

• Agree 1

On 16/02/2018 at 14:03, keefer said:

a file on the BRCoachingStock Yahoo site, researched by Mick Bond, says there were only three GWR coaches which made it into blue/grey, all SKs

dia.C82 W2135W and dia.C84 W1719W/W2283W for use with catering trolleys between Plymouth & Penzance (source: M Harris, 'Great Western Coaches from 1890', 1993)

They made it a bit further east than Plymouth; I have seen photos of them near Westbury. There is another photo in 'Heyday of the Warships, taken in 1967, of one in blue and grey at Par; tantalisingly, there are two maroon Hawksworths visible in the yard. The two photos I've seen show them immediately behind the loco on the Up Cornish Riviera.

The reason I heard for their use is that the compartment doors were wide enough to allow entry by a catering trolley, which could therefore be locked in when not in service.

Not quite what the OP was looking for, but on Page 23 of 'Heyday of the Hydraulics', there is a photo of a green Warship on an Exeter- Waterloo in 1967. The visible part of the train consists of:-

Blue/grey BR full brake.

Green BR Catering vehicle (possibly RMB?)

Maroon BR Mk 1 TSO

Green Bulleid (TSO?)

Green Mk 2 FK

If you put a composition like this on a model at an exhibition, no-one would believe you.

• Agree 2

• 4 years later...
On 16/02/2018 at 14:03, keefer said:

Poor quality photo but here is W1719W in blue and grey at Old Oak Common on 16 April 1967.IMG_8686.jpeg.80732488bfe6f146fdca0cd9c7fb31ac.jpeg

• Like 9

Hi, it would be good if Hornby did W2135W W1719W and W2283W for OO gauge and Graham Farish did the same for N gauge, as Bachmann only did 3 of the 5 LMS Portal coaches in Blue and Grey for OO. Fred

Edited by Fredo
  • Like 1

I built an MTK Hawksworth SK kit as W1719W in blue/grey in the late 1990s (have previously posted a pic elsewhere on RMweb, probably MTK thread), I would certainly buy a Hornby one myself to accompany my Kernow blue D600 'Active'.  I've considered the possibility of repainting one but the chances of getting the glazing out without damage*, and even if I could refitting it without cracking the paint around most if not every window opening (because the glazing fits so tightly), puts me off the idea. As does 'simply' masking off all those windows - no thanks!

As a stand-in I have a Hornby maroon Hawksworth SK for the catering trolley service, as illustrated on page 33 of 'The Heyday of the Hydraulics', D604 'Cossack' at Redruth with 1V33 down 'Cornishman' on 19th August 1967 with one of these immediately behind the loco (D604 must have been just days away from its 3-month South Wales holiday).

*Many of these models exhibit 'dimpling' on the lower sides where excessive glue has softened the thin shell!

• Like 1