Does anyone have a photo of Neath general west box?

Gravy Train

Hi, Just need a photo to get an idea of what it is like.

cheers

Peter

The one photo I've found thus far has the box largely obscured by a Britannia in 'The Red Dragon and..'. However, the photographer has added some notes, which I quote:-

'.. Neath General West Signal Box, a GWR Type 9 structure- not particularly common- which consisted of a steel frame and concrete block structure, with a rendered or panelled finish. A cheaper version of the Type 7, it did not feature the characteristic eaves brackets, and has received brick reinforcing to the locking room- probably a wartime addition.'

The finish appears to be cream-painted render, rather than wood panelling. According to Cooke, the box dated to July 1929.

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear - my earlier post seems to have vanished.  Neath General West was a standard (for its time) steel frame/rendered concrete structure with a hip roof and the only pics I can find on the net (which are distant shots) confirm this.  I suspect that it was one of the larger examples of that form of construction although I think the method was similar to wood panel boxes in that the number of 'bays/frames was decided by the length of the lever frame.  I don't know if it was ever painted but in its later years when I saw it (in my younger years!) it was much the same as other 'boxes of this type and had a plain aged concrete colour.

There are a few illustrations of 'boxes of this type in Vaughan's 'Great Western Signalling' .  Other definite examples were Wantage Road, Challow, and Ashbury Crossing while Didcot East End was not rendered so showed the concrete block jointing very clearly.    Below is a rather poor quality scan of my own pics of Challow (top right) and Wantage Road (bottom) -

post-6859-0-21201000-1372082565_thumb.jpg

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your help, I'm not sure if you intended to attach a photo or not but nothing was attached, again your help is very much Apreciated

Cheers

Peter

Hi Mike

Thanks for all your help with this query, am I right in thinking that the photos below are similar to that of Neath g w box?

Again many thanks

Peter

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your help, I'm not sure if you intended to attach a photo or not but nothing was attached, again your help is very much Apreciated

Cheers

Peter

Hi Mike

Thanks for all your help with this query, am I right in thinking that the photos below are similar to that of Neath g w box?

Again many thanks

Peter

Peter,

The 'photo is in a book, called 'The Red Dragon, and other old friends' (well worth seeking out if you're modelling the area in the period 1945-62), so I couldn't attach it. Mike's photos are of similar boxes, though Neath was slightly larger, having six 'bays' of windows at the front, against five. It also had four ventilators on the roof, rather than three.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian,

Cheers

Peter

Hi Mike

Again many thanks

Peter

Exactly so Peter.  I have the original negatives 'somewhere' and if you wish I will try to to delve them out although they are probably Kodak Tri-X so might not be the best in the world for scanning. Although it isn't clearly labelled as such the diagram for Neath West is on the SRS site although you only get a very small version unless you buy the disc - on the other hand if you know someone who has the disc you could get full details of the lever frame (c.90 levers) and it would be relatively easy to work out some of the block shelf and I have my own pictures of standard GWR/WR block shelf arrangements and method of mounting etc if you need them?

Hi Brian,

Thanks for that, and the info very helpful indeed, I really apreciate it.

best

Peter

Hi mike,

If you could scan them that would be fantastic but don't go to a lot of trouble, i do apreciate the info you have given me.

best

Peter

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi folks

Just bumping this again, struggling to get a photo

Cheers

Peter

Sorry Pete - just back from a week on a ship so only just seen this post.  I've plenty to do pics wise after a week at sea but will try to delve out the negs and get some better scans although it might not be for a few days I'm afraid.

Hi Mike,

no worries, I am just greatful for the help, I was just bumping the post baqck up as sometimes some people don't see the posts as requests are amany and so the post gets to go back a few pages so to speak.

many thanks

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There is an end view in Steam in South Wales Vol 6, plate 44 (Michael Hale, WRRC, 1999). Michael Hale may well have taken other photos. I don't know who got his collection when he died. it may have been ther WRRC but if so they are not yet available, as they are still working through the Mike Morton Lloyd collection.

• RMweb Gold

Peter,

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/wpw029804?search=neath&ref=4

You have to register to zoom in - but its free and well worthwhile.

post-6662-0-10853300-1378975897.jpg

I know it's not great but it's better than nowt.

All -

The britainfromabove site is well worth visiting, and joining.

I spend many a happy time wandering aimlessly around the North West labelling signal boxes !

• 4 weeks later...

Archived