The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Tour de France 2013- 100th Edition

brightspark

• RMweb Gold

I love watching it for the scenery, let alone the racing!

Looking forward to next year's 'Grande Departe' in Yorkshire. I shall be putting upon my cousin up there for accommodation.

Thoroughly enjoyed last year's Tour of Britain when a stage finished in Dartmouth and got to within touching distance of Cav.

He's even closer to the top in terms of race stages only (ie excluding time travels). Cavendish is awesome (and incidentally well worth following on facebook/twitter) and i'm looking forward to more sprints. But I also hope to see Thomas Voeckler putting himself out there I love his attacking attitude

I do love the Tour, great scenery, great drama and fascinating. I think the rest day has definitely come at the right time for Sky - and they do need to improve or Froome will eventually be worn down by everyone else attacking him all the time. That said I don't think losing some of his advantage would be fatal, he will gain time on the time trial and there are still plenty of opportunities for other guys to gain or lose big time.

Mr Cavendish is currently 4th in the total number of TdF stage wins.

The list is

Eddy Mercx 34 wins

Bernard Hinault 28

Andre Leducq 25

Mark Cavendish 24

Right onto Stage 10. This is an area that I have cycled around.

Lets describe it, pan flat with little lumpy hills that smack you in the face with their absurd steepness in a area so flat...oh yes and it windy. Especially on that bit of coast heading into St.Malo.

BTW the ferry from Portsmouth to St. Malo is my favourite. As you can drive to the ferry in the evening get a great view of Pompy and the Isle of White before heading off to dinner washed down with plenty of Bretton/ Normandie Cidre and getting a good bunk in a cosy little cabin. Don't try sleeping in the couches they are the most uncomfortable way to cross. (usual disclaimer...happy customer). Which brings me to food and drink for stage 10 and for that matter stage11.

As you cycle around the area you will notice that there are lots of apple trees, pigs and geese. So no wine but instead the aforementioned Cidre. Now there is a difference between Cider brewed in the UK and Cidre brewed in this part of the world. The difference being the method of brewing and what can be added to the brew. I also seem to recall that Cidre uses a natural yeast.

I haven't found any small brands and as my stock of Bretton Cidre has somehow evaporated,  I have stocked up on Waitrose (usual disclaimer) own label Normandie Cidre and Normandie Brie. Take the brie out the package, cut off the top leaving a small rim. Put it back into the wooden box base, add a thinly sliced Garlic clove, fresh rosemary and a drizzle of olive oil. Place in oven 180c for 20 minutes. While waiting for the cheese to melt cut up a French stick for dipping into the melted cheese. Of course you still have the top of the cheese to test (taste).

Now sit back and cheer on.......hmmmm.....Cav to win the stage and move into joint third on the list of overall stage wins.

Portsmouth - St. Malo is very much a favourite crossing for me as well.

Not too far away is the town where Louison Bobet came from.

I met a French family a few years ago who came from the area and the grandfather pulled out of his wallet a very ragged photo of him as a young lad watching the tour standing next to Bobet.

It was the one year back in the 1950s when Bobet did not ride.

More familiar with Normandy Cidre rather than Breton.

At a big ( big means about 1800 people) cycling dinner in St. Lo  at Easter it was a bottle of Cidre with each course and a shot of Calvados as a "trou normand" between each course.

With a seven or eight course meal I do not remember much after midnight , other than one couple going home complaining that they had still not had dessert.

Back on topic and looking ahead.

If you look at the route on Alpe d'Huez the second time up it is longer than the first.

This is because the official finish is in a car park above the town rather than in the town centre.

First time up they go through the main street and on to the Sarenne.

Second time up they turn left through a tunnel and do another couple of zig zags to reach the finish.

For some reason the woman's race some years ago was not allowed to use the official finish but carried on to a small lake even higher up.

A friend of mine, who must be one of very few English women to have raced up the climb, jokingly refers to the men's race as being for wimps.

Bernard

Portsmouth - St. Malo is very much a favourite crossing for me as well.

Not too far away is the town where Louison Bobet came from.

I met a French family a few years ago who came from the area and the grandfather pulled out of his wallet a very ragged photo of him as a young lad watching the tour standing next to Bobet.

It was the one year back in the 1950s when Bobet did not ride.

More familiar with Normandy Cidre rather than Breton.

At a big ( big means about 1800 people) cycling dinner in St. Lo  at Easter it was a bottle of Cidre with each course and a shot of Calvados as a "trou normand" between each course.

With a seven or eight course meal I do not remember much after midnight , other than one couple going home complaining that they had still not had dessert.

Bernard

I went to a dinner like that at a town a few km to the west. It was the evening before the Duo Normand. I didn't get my desert either....and it wasn't very good pre-race food and drink either. But what an experience!

Right back to business, the honey idea sounds great.

Today was a little predictable in that the breakaway went away and got caught just before the finish. One of the breakaway was a local man, who had to spend all day at the front, and on TV, thus establishing himself as a local hero as well as an ambassador for his local area. However the finish did not quite go to plan if you predicted Cav to win. Unfortunatly he was involved  coming together with Tom Veelers. Tom was leadout for Kittel and after doing his turn and peeling off veered slightly to right while Cavendish was moving to the left to get around the left hand bend and get onto the wheel of the one of the riders ahead. An immediate post race interview although entertaining didn't do Cav any favours. Looking at the film of the finish you can see that Cav was upset as he kept looking back and lost his appetite for the final part of the sprint. After an incident like this can someone please get Cav to have a lie down in a quiet place so he can collect his thoughts.

Tomorrow is an individual Time Trial from Avranches (Where I first saw my first real TdF in 2002) to Mont St Micheal, a truly spectacular finish. Again wind will be a factor.

Avranches sits on a hill above the plain. From it you can see the M.St.M. and the hill of Avranches can be seen from miles away and hugs the horizon to the left as you approach St, Malo from the sea. The wind will play a big part in this event and I guess the problem will be to pick a winner that is fast and strong. 

For me it will be Froome as the fastest. But I expect to be surprised as the GC contenders try to claw back their lost time.

I think Cav was really a bit unlucky with the clash of shoulders, he had every right to be where he was. Twisty run into the finish did nobody any favours.

From the overhead shot he appeared to be very lucky.

For the second time this year the officials have taken a lenient view.

Seen lesser incidents classified as dangerous riding and the offender relegated to last place in the group.

Well he will not win today I can safely predict.

Froome by 6 seconds from Contador.

Bernard

Cav wears Yellow Jersey after time trial!

Well, not quite. Apparently a spectator threw urine at him on today's stage...

Poor Cav no-one deserves that. Lets hope that this sort of behaviour doesn't catch on. One of the best bits of cycle sport is that you can get close to the action for free.

Back to the sport. Tony Martin done good. Unfortunately his prize being having to hang around for 3 hours or so waiting for someone to beat his time. None did of course and the only person to come near the current world Time-Trial champion was Chris Froome. He is now a good three minutes ahead of his rivals on GC which means that they will have to attack plenty and often to stand a chance of getting their hands on the yellow jumper.

Tomorrow is the first of three transfer stages. So the plan for each day is that it will be a sprinters day. That is a breakaway goes and then the peloton catches them and Cav wins. Ok the last bit may be subject to change and probably worth a punt.

But this year the tour has been little bit strange and that three minute advantage may mean that plan A goes out the window.

Me I think that we are heading for some Cav days. I'll go for two out of three.

Tomorrow, life gets in the way and I am off to play trains. So I will have Cav for Thursday and Greipel for Friday.

Any more regional Cheese and drinks?

Looking at more pictures of the incident I think the officials took the right decision in calling it as a racing heat of the moment act.

One rider came of his line so another one hooked him.

Now if Cav had won would they have let the result stand?

Probably not.

Given the actual position of the finish line in relation to the last bend it was certainly not the most brilliant piece of course design.

It must have been very windy and exposed in the TT for time gaps that large to open up.

Very much a day for the strong men.

The idea of a shorter TT to keep the gaps down was thwarted by the conditions.

Bernard

And I always thought that the flat stages of the second week of the 100th Tour would be relatively boring - definitely not!

Cav loses one that he should have won, and then wins one that he maybe should not have, as he was fortunate to be in the right position to just tag on to the final breakaway group in today's frenetic stage.

A week ago, Froome had the tour won after his superb solo breakaway in the Pyrenees, Now, there are definite weaknesses showing in the Sky team and one moment of brilliance from any one of several riders could a real spoke in the wheel [pun intended].

Gentlemen. We are in for a treat over the next 9 days, with some epic racing in store.

Yep this years tour is certainly different. Who would have thought that GC positions would be challenged on a flat stage.

Anyone brave enough to make a prediction as to whom will be pulling on the yellow jumper in Paris? I am still hoping for Chris Froome, but I wonder if he will wear it all the way there.

A couple of days ago the TdF predicted that tomorrows stage would be to the usual formula. That is that the GC riders will want an easy in preparation of the mountains ahead, that there will be a breakaway and that the sprinters will chase that down and Cav will win.

That prediction has now changed to who knows what will happen next!

There are some small hills on the way to the finish and if the pace is not too quick the sprinters should get over them. But I think that Froome is going to get attacked again. I wonder if, after today, Cav is fired up enough to go with the attack again and get a good finish. Sagan definitely can unless he finally runs out of juice and blows. Hmmm who to go with?

Any more cheese & drink recommendations for the weekend?

OK Sagan to win the stage. Cav won't make it over the hills. Your go!

• RMweb Gold

Very intersting/exciting day for those of us who only have a mild interest.  More quality breakaways please......  though I suspect that won't happen on the Ventoux.

Talking of cheese (if i may call it that) who on here remembers Lymeswold?

Very intersting/exciting day for those of us who only have a mild interest.  More quality breakaways please......  though I suspect that won't happen on the Ventoux.

Talking of cheese (if i may call it that) who on here remembers Lymeswold?

Lymeswold...I remember it. It eventually failed or surpassed by other made up cheeses. In its favour I guess it got Britain thinking more about different cheese.

To me the joy of the TdF is that having a mild interest is the best way to appreciate it. Some us are too busy working through a mountain of cheese and wine.

Meanwhile here is something that Sky posted on facebook. I don't think it breaks any rules to post here.

post-4587-0-75993400-1373726677.jpg

Congratulations to Matteo Trentin todays stage winner. For those who have only a mild interest in the tour tomorrow will be special and a chance to anticipate what will happen. First it is the longest stage of the tour 242.5km. Second it rolls over a few hills before heading the awesome Mont Ventuox. Thirdly it's Bastille day! A long stage means that there will be a break. the question is who will be in it?

The Mont Ventoux is huge and scary. The road will be hot and steep. At the bottom is a little town, then the road climbs up through trees. The trees start to thin out the sun gets hotter. Eventually the trees stop but here on the top of Ventoux there is no vegetation. The landscape is like the moon. White rocks make up the hill that reflects the heat back into the riders faces. At the top is the radio station. It takes for ever to arrive. But just before it is a granite memorial. It honours a British rider, who came from Yorkshire where next years tour starts. The memorial is Tom Simpson, now vilified as a drug cheat and it is said that it was the dopage that killed him. I prefer to think that it was dehydration and heat stroke. The question is how will the tour and the TV look at this monument. Without Tommy Simpson paving the way we would not have the likes of Wiggins, Cavendish, Froome etc. And next year starts in Yorkshire, as I said Toms home. Finally it is Bastille day. Expect every French rider to attack. Voekler will of course go on the Ventoux. Anyone care to guess where? Finally we have to guess who will be first to the top. Smart money says Froome. But I think that he may be second, perhaps to a Frenchman. But I think Quintana may pull something out the bag.

edit for spelling and grammer

There is an appellation Cotes du Ventoux but it is not a wine that I know.

Something more heady such as a nice Gigondas should build up the strength to encourage Froome up the final slopes.

He will need it as I do not see him getting much support from his team mates.

Quintana should be in his element and if he feels good then he could make a big impression as could Contador.

I first met Tom Simpson in Nice in early 1964. A top bloke as well as being a top rider. No airs and graces. Within a few minutes of meeting him I was invited for a ride the next morning. Ironically he had just arrived in Nice having driven down from his then home in Belgium. This was against the orders of the team medics who were concerned about it being bad for the blood pressure. How times have changed. Drugs acceptable and even encouraged, driving regarded as being bad for your health in those days.

Rest day for me today after 112 miles with temperatures rising to over 30 deg yesterday.

Bernard

Some say Sky is a weak team and that Froome will be isolated. Some isolation...stuck out there in the front.

Man of the day has to be Sagan for the wheely.

The little Columbian Quintana did well too and collected the white jersey (best young rider).

So Chris Froome now holds the Polka dot jersey as well as the yellow jersey.

Rest day tomorrow so other teams now have a day to think about how they are going to get the yellow jersey back. Or at least fight for second and third.

If anyone has an idea how to do this please send it on the back of an envelope to any team that isn't sky C/O the Tour De France.

Porte was just able to do enough to put Foome in a position to attack.

Given that opportunity he certainly took the race by the scruff of the neck.

To go that hard he must be confident that he can do it again if he is forced to do so.

First time up The Alpe Porte can keep control. The descent is very dodgy. On the second ascent Froome can afford to watch the others. There is no need to attack. Even if Quintana takes of low down the climb Froome will be getting time checks and can hold him to a comfortable distance. It might even pay him to let Quintana go and leave all the other riders to fight out the minor places on GC. Only a major misfortune can stop Froome. There is still a rather hilly TT to come which should also help him maintain his advantage.

Sagan and the wheely. O yes. His strategy of gaining points on a mountain top finish day was brilliant. That was a cycling equivalent of two fingers up to the rest of the sprinters.

The Alpe is a strange climb with the first 3kms being the steepest at around 10%+ and it then eases off a fraction. I have found many climbs much harder. It has the reputation as it is readily accessible and rises straight from the town. On the opposite side of the valley the road to La Berade is a fearsome climb as is the much shorter but very much steeper road to Oulles. Both of these roads are too narrow to be used in the race.

To show that I know about it from experience and am not just a waffler this was me on The Alpe about 6 years ago.

Bernard

post-149-0-68108400-1373875490.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Just watched yesterday's event with the Head of Household.  Another good day for those with a casual interest.  Am amzed by Chris Froome's performance not only yesterday but leading the field - there doesn't seem to be much of him.

Are Sky finished?  Well as a casual observer they look to me like the New York Yankees this season who've been ravaged by injury, but at the half way stage of the baseball season you just can't write them off.

One day I want to get to have a go at some of these climbs myself.

I don't think Quintala will be there at the finish. He is ok going up a hill, but coming down he is a disaster. that is where he will go backwards.

Mollema is one to watch. Nope I haven't heard of him either, but then I don't get to watch much cycling and stopped buying the magazines years ago. 

Tomorrow they race to Gap. The pundits seem to think that there will lots of attacks and that the last descent to the finish could be affecting the top GC positions.

Traditionally there would be a break and it would get to the finish, giving much need publicity to a smaller team and a possible better contract for the riders in the winning break. But I really don't think that this is going to happen. I suspect that there will be some serious attacks, perhaps not for first place, but Chris Froome and Sky will have to monitor them as those four minutes can quickly go. Who to win the stage. Hmmm I think that it might be a GC rider, perhaps from the top ten or even just outside it. My pin is on Mike Rogers. Your go!

Amused that not even the Tour can interfere with SNCF (peloton held up at level crossing about 70km from finish)! Imagine if there had been top 10 GC riders in the breakaway though.

Archived