The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Tour de France 2013- 100th Edition

brightspark

I find the constant questioning distasteful by the (French?) sporting press of Chris Froome's 'cleanliness' after umpteen clean tests during the Tour.

I recall a few days ago seeing a press picture of Froome in a similar picture to an earlier one of Armstrong entitled "Froome naturelle?". All so unpleasant. A shame really, as my favourite Tour competitor is the Frenchman Thomas Voekler. It was sad to see him dropping off the pelaton yesterday.

One could almost rephrase that to read" I constantly find the French distasteful".

In many ways, not just in their sporting journalism.

But I would not say that would I ?

They do have a habit of not knowing when to let go.

Funny when you consider other people from the not so distant past who  they regard as national heroes like Verenque.

The last hour yesterday looked rather unpleasant with the rain.

Well done Costa for having the courage to take off yet again and to hold on for another victory.

The last five kms today should produce a few fireworks.

Froome has the luxury of not needing to get involved.

On the other hand if he is feeling good another stage win would be the icing on the cake.

Bernard

Well done 87029 for paying attention and getting the result exactly right.

I think that it is a good result. The best bit is that the old (and dirty) guard are not on the podium. Although some will be there for the team award.

The French newspapers always imply that the leader is drugs cheat unless he is French. But of course failed to actually prove in a timely manner that the now self-confessed drug cheats both French and others were guilty.

Ho hum. So onto tomorrows final. By tradition no one tries to upset the GC positions. But this year has seen some traditions thrown away. However I would assume that the truce will be called so that they can do the photos of the leaders sipping champagne etc. It is interesting that this years final stage has a decent start, The Palace of Versailles and goes around the Arc de Triumph instead of having that tight little turn just in front of it. The it comes down the sprint and here you can use all your skill and judgement to guess the stage winner. For the past few years it has been Cav. But it is nice if the Green (points) jersey holder wins it. Now I like Cav and think that that he might do it again this year. But will his team be able to organise themselves and pull it off?

Of course there are now other contenders. Who do you think will get it.

Food and drink. Well champers to drink of course, and perhaps some nice little canapés.

I'm with you on this to the extent I can see Quintana moving into 2nd, ahead of Contador, and picking up the 'polka dot' jersey. 

But I've been wrong before!

Good grief! I got it right.

Thanks go to the organisers for an excellent tour. Whilst Froome may have led for most of the time, it has been immensely entertaining in so many respects - individual moments of brilliance, as well as superbly executed team tactics. Stunning scenery ever since Corsica. Thankfully no serious injuries ('chapeau' to Geraint Thomas for all that he did after his pelvis injury). The TV coverage is of its' usual very high standard, with the plenty of shots of points of interest along the way, with hardly any key moments missed within the mayhem of the race.

I have been well entertained over the last 3 weeks, and I am already looking forward to Yorkshire in 2014!

A nice touch by Froome and Sky to ride across the line together in celebration.

I still can't get used to his narrow handle bars and subsequent elbows out position. (Conventional teaching is width of bars = width of shoulders).

A more experienced Quintana could be well worth watching next year.

Rodrigues knew that the three mountain stages towards the end would suit him. He never panicked in the first two weeks, just kept in contact and delivered when the chance came his way. Three podium finishes in his last three Grand Tours is quite an achievement.

All in all a great show and all praise to all the factions in France for working together to make the 100th tour such a memorable event.

Bernard

Dave Brailsford (Sky manager) is talking about having both Froome and Wiggins at next years tour. I'm not sure how that will work as having two leaders will effectively split the team.

Only the Vuelta to go (The third grand tour) and the tour of Britain. Next looks exciting though. The TdF starts in Yorkshire and the Giro d'Italia starts in Ireland! Good grief what is happening?

Hmmm food and drink for Yorkshire....a pint of Tetleys and a cheese and pickle sandwich.

Archived