SOUTHERN A LIVERY QUESTION OR TWO

N15class

Hi all,

I have a slight delema about wagon livery. I have just got a 7mm kit for a low machinery wagon. The instructions say it was painted grey. I thought wagons revenue stock were painted brown, except for the refigerated ones etc.

From what I have read I cannot remember any mention of grey, unless I have missed something. Unfortunatly my livery books are still in the UK.

Sorry I thought I was clear on wanting to know about why a kit said the livery for a wagon was grey when I thought they were all brown. If there was grey, what when and how. Plus I cannot remember reading about any grey livery. I model about 1930, but am interested about anytime.

• RMweb Gold

From the HMRS Livery Register:

"Wagons acquired from the S&DJR in 1914 retained their grey livery."

" Mr West has recorded one ex-LSWR open wagon, no 4058E, in dark grey (1939) and this may not have been an isolated case"

"The normal colouring for tool vans etc was dark grey, used by the Civil Engineer's Department, but....this shade faded considerably in service with long exposure and lack of renewal"

From the HMRS Livery Register:

"Wagons acquired from the S&DJR in 1914 retained their grey livery."

" Mr West has recorded one ex-LSWR open wagon, no 4058E, in dark grey (1939) and this may not have been an isolated case"

"The normal colouring for tool vans etc was dark grey, used by the Civil Engineer's Department, but....this shade faded considerably in service with long exposure and lack of renewal"

I was really puzzled about the grey. I am just confused why it should say grey in the instruction. They said brown for LSWR so why grey for SR. I suppose the machinery trucks could all of been taken over by the engineering department.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi all

I am just finishing a scratch built road van in 7mm. I am after the colours for the interior. Would the van portion be white with wooden floor? I have got it in my head that the guards portion of the van would be green upto waist, and white or cream above.

If anyone can comfirm or correct I would be gratefull

Thanks in advance

Road  Van.

If  in  SR  livery  this   would  have  a  buff/ yellow  interior.

From  an  original  vehicle  paint  traces  a  good  match  was  "Caterpillar  Yellow"  (ie:  Caterpillar  Diesel  colour)

The  Guard s portion  having  the  same  colour   above  the  waist,  brown  below  with  a  black  line  between.

Balcony  interior:  Brown.

Floor:  Natural  Wood.

Ceilings:  White

Pete

Road  Van.

If  in  SR  livery  this   would  have  a  buff/ yellow  interior.

From  an  original  vehicle  paint  traces  a  good  match  was  "Caterpillar  Yellow"  (ie:  Caterpillar  Diesel  colour)

The  Guard s portion  having  the  same  colour   above  the  waist,  brown  below  with  a  black  line  between.

Balcony  interior:  Brown.

Floor:  Natural  Wood.

Ceilings:  White

Pete

Thanks Pete

God knows where my brain picked up the colours I thought they were. They will look quite bright inside. I know yellow was often used in high wear areas and pubs as it di not show dirt and smoke stains so much.

The windows (if any) on brake vans were few and often very small, so any bright interior paint would be a benefit to the occupant of the vehicle. The Pill-box brakevans had additional windows cut into the wall in the verandah ends of the body to let additional light in after complaints from the guards...

Whilst on the subject of brake vans. Does anyone know what colour the hand rails would be? I have a feeling they would not of been painted white as they are now. I would think either body colour or black any clues?

In  SR  livery  handrails  would  be  white.

This  is  a  safety  feature  to  aid  visibility  in  poor  light  and  probably  common  with  many  other  companies.

Pete

• 1 year later...

Hi

Heres a little poser on colour.

The books I have all say that LSWR and Southern both used "vermillion" (another name for red oxide) between the frames. Did they ever change to the brighter red you see on preserved locos and models? Also if so at what date was the change?

Vermillion  is  a  colour  which  is  not  very  specific,  the  name  has  been  applied  to  a  variety  of  shades  of  red  from  bright  red  to a  dull  brick  red  or  even  a  purple  red  shade..

The  colour  as  used  by  the  Southern  was  a  bright  red  as  per  the  models  and  preservation  you  have  noted.

In  service  however  red  tends  to  fade  and  over  a  period  of  time  becomes  more  of  a  brick  red.

A  much  duller  red  was  used  on  engineers  vehicles ,  this  was  closer  to  the  later  BR  Bauxite  in  shade.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Pete,

In the 1970's when I was training to be a ship's navigator in the Merchant Navy, we were still mixing paints from their constituents. I remember Linseed and fish oils, ochre and red lead powders, soot type powder and white lead paste. The ship's funnel colour was buff which was arrived at simply by mixing a bit of everything together. The white was the white lead paste mixed with the oils; black was everything in moderation with a lot of soot looking stuff; the undercoat/rust inhibitor (very necessary at sea) was the red lead mixed with the fish oil with a bit of ochre or white lead to get variations so you could see the second or third coat being applied over the first one.

In other words, this, being a shipping company, must have been a very cheap way of getting paint made up and I am sure the Railways would have been doing the same thing!

I remember ochre and soot gave a very dark green - Stroudley goods perhaps? Adding a bit of red lead made it lighter.

It wasn't until the 1930s that real commercial quantities seemed to be made using petroleum products and I am sure there would be lots to use up first.

By the time I left the MN in the late 1980's there was two part epoxy based paints, high build, paints that were made to wear away with friction to stop marine growth and all kinds of things that were completely incompatible with one another, not like before.

In other words, just pick something that looks right and argue the case as above if there is any argument! Especially if you are over in a different country where it is difficult to import things unless you get them from a trip back like you have just had!

Cheers, and many thanks as I have found all your work and explanations very helpful and educational.

Ian in Blackpool

Hi

Heres a little poser on colour.

The books I have all say that LSWR and Southern both used "vermillion" (another name for red oxide) between the frames. Did they ever change to the brighter red you see on preserved locos and models? Also if so at what date was the change?

Vermillion is NOT another name for Red oxide.  Red oxide is an Iron Oxide based pigment (basically rust) whilst Vermillion is a Mercury Sulphide compound and a much brighter red.

• 4 weeks later...

Vermillion is NOT another name for Red oxide.  Red oxide is an Iron Oxide based pigment (basically rust) whilst Vermillion is a Mercury Sulphide compound and a much brighter red.

Thanks for that. You learn something each day. I had read somewhere it was red oxide, just goes to show you should not believe everything you read.

Archived