The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Here's another Chilean GRP Mini similar to the white / red one I mentioned, the Dunlop D1 alloys really set it off...

post-7638-0-86216800-1532459254.jpg

I had no idea the Chileans built the 1100 too! Perusing one of the Mini books in my naughty cupboard earlier I was reminded that BMC in South Africa built a limited run of Wolseley 1000s, a cross between a Mk1 Mini Saloon and a Wolseley Hornet front end, only 456 were built apparently. Coincidentally there is currently a S.African built 1962 Mk1 997 Cooper for sale on ebay, restored but with all the right bits on it (the interior is a fair bit more upmarket than the UK models were).

Tonight's 6V25 Bescot - Hinksey job is caped so I'll be keeping my work phone on and watching some b&w episodes of The Saint for some old car spotting  ;)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 5

So my options would appear to be:- Put in a modern tech battery; or- Try to find a higher output alternator with a similar footprint to the CX one (difficult given that Citroen cars of that age are difficult to modify); or- Fit both!

If not starting, battery first. Bigger battery means it will last longer with a minor current drain. Battery with a higher cranking capacity might help starting.

But if you are doing lots of short and / or slow journeys so the battery never gets a chance to recharge, or you have a load of extra electrical load then a higher power alternator might well help

Katy

It is a shame that they could not do a seamless mini as a production job , to me it

looks so much nicer even without being ' sprinted ' .

I half jokingly threatened to have the Cooper S deseamed when we sent it off to be restored, the other half went ballistic... ''don't you f*****g dare!!!'' was her considered reply...!

Mk1s look particularly good when deseamed, either partially or fully, the rounded features of the original shaped grille and dinky little rear lights seem to make it look better somehow.

• RMweb Premium

I've seen photos of another one which has had slightly wider arches blended in to the glassfibre shell, probably quite a common mod on these cars. Some years ago there was a white one with a black vinyl roof doing the rounds at Mini shows, I think it's been repainted red since then.

Here's another Mini 'find', an old Bill non Cooper Mk2 850 or 1000, no idea where it's taken...

attachicon.gifMK2 MINI 1000 Old Bill.jpg

Threlfalls brewery was Salford based. The o/s wing is the same colour as the rest of the car, its the reflection of a dark building.

• Like 2

Speaking of grp Minis, does anyone remember the Mini Minus? It was a kit car from the early 80s, with a grp monocoque Mini shell, but about 3-4" lower, with the height taken out of the panels rather than the roof. Anyone ever seen one, or was it one of the many stillborn kit projects of the era?

Also on grp Minis, when I was working for the Department of Transport about 15 years ago I met a chap who'd been an Engineer with BL at a time when they were experimenting with a plastic Mini. He related the story of the first crash test. Apparently, when the car hit the barrier the test room filled with an opaque cloud of fibreglass fragments. When the dust settled a few seconds later, all that was visible was a compact mass of two subframes and an engine in the middle of a debris field of quite small bits. That was more or less the point at which the project was called off.

• Like 3

Speaking of grp Minis, does anyone remember the Mini Minus? It was a kit car from the early 80s, with a grp monocoque Mini shell, but about 3-4" lower, with the height taken out of the panels rather than the roof. Anyone ever seen one, or was it one of the many stillborn kit projects of the era?

Also on grp Minis, when I was working for the Department of Transport about 15 years ago I met a chap who'd been an Engineer with BL at a time when they were experimenting with a plastic Mini. He related the story of the first crash test. Apparently, when the car hit the barrier the test room filled with an opaque cloud of fibreglass fragments. When the dust settled a few seconds later, all that was visible was a compact mass of two subframes and an engine in the middle of a debris field of quite small bits. That was more or less the point at which the project was called off.

www.miniminus.co.uk

• Like 2

www.miniminus.co.uk

I stand amazed that so many appear to still exist. I always thought it seemed  good idea but, as far as I can recall, never saw one, in spite of semi-regular visits to kit car shows c1982-83-84.

I stand amazed that so many appear to still exist. I always thought it seemed good idea but, as far as I can recall, never saw one, in spite of semi-regular visits to kit car shows c1982-83-84.

Given the crash test story, maybe that's not a surprise....

Anyone with a penchant for GRP (and metal) based Mini offshoots should have a look at the 'Maximim Minis' series of books by Jeroen Booij, there were enough variations to fill three books... 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1787111180/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

More Mini based oddities...

post-7638-0-61061600-1532514620_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-08041800-1532514637_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-02969500-1532514664_thumb.jpg

Always fancied a Mini Marcos, back in the '70s a neighbour had one with a fur headlining and corduroy covered bucket seats. Remarkably, a Marcos won its class in the '67 Le Mans 24hours!

post-7638-0-02959600-1532515025_thumb.jpg

This one appeared by accident in a 1967 episode of 'The Saint'...

post-7638-0-82282300-1532515077.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 10

On the topic of glassfibre body panels?   back in the 1970's,I went to see the maker of the Jeffrey J4  [  http://www.classic-kitcars.com/classic-kitcar-details.php?43  ]

A real ex-MoD shed workshop.....the fella ...who produced cars/chassis for 750mc racing, was keen to explain to me the advantages, and differences, between the types of glass fiber used for bodywork.

It appeared the difference was in the way the glass fibre & resin were laid up on, or in, the moulds.....?

Large scale producers, such as Reliant, apparently used sprays to lay up the  stuff...as distinct from one-man bands who hand laid the various layers in the moulds. The differences being, if the sprayed glass fibre suffered a severe impact, it shattered......the hand-laid glass didn't.

I recall that, to emphasise his point, he took one of his G/F nosecones, and proceeded to beat it alarmingly with a sledge hammer......the glassfibre nose cone deformed, but sprang back into shape...He hit a Reliant 3 wheeler front wing, with the same force, and it shattered.

Sadly, at that stage he was no longer  in production of the J4...he had one there which was his own, and I drove it around......it had a 1300cc crossflow, and I recall he emphasized that the car didn't 'need' a bigger engine....he was probably right too.

I very nearly bought a chassis.....with the intention of putting one together...he would still make chassis to order...very cheap for the time too.....but I 'lost' the use of the garage at my bedsit  [brockley Rise, SE 8]....so nowt came of it.

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 6

On the topic of glassfibre body panels?   back in the 1970's,I went to see the maker of the Jeffrey J4  [  http://www.classic-kitcars.com/classic-kitcar-details.php?43  ]

A real ex-MoD shed workshop.....the fella ...who produced cars/chassis for 750mc racing, was keen to explain to me the advantages, and differences, between the types of glass fiber used for bodywork.

It appeared the difference was in the way the glass fibre & resin were laid up on, or in, the moulds.....?

Large scale producers, such as Reliant, apparently used sprays to lay up the  stuff...as distinct from one-man bands who hand laid the various layers in the moulds. The differences being, if the sprayed glass fibre suffered a severe impact, it shattered......the hand-laid glass didn't.

I recall that, to emphasise his point, he took one of his G/F nosecones, and proceeded to beat it alarmingly with a sledge hammer......the glassfibre nose cone deformed, but sprang back into shape...He hit a Reliant 3 wheeler front wing, with the same force, and it shattered.

Sadly, at that stage he was no longer  in production of the J4...he had one there which was his own, and I drove it around......it had a 1300cc crossflow, and I recall he emphasized that the car didn't 'need' a bigger engine....he was probably right too.

I very nearly bought a chassis.....with the intention of putting one together...he would still make chassis to order...very cheap for the time too.....but I 'lost' the use of the garage at my bedsit  [brockley Rise, SE 8]....so nowt came of it.

Might explain why the Leyland plastic Mini allegedly exploded in a manner that doesn't seem to occur with competently made cottage industry grp.

.....when I was working for the Department of Transport about 15 years ago I met a chap who'd been an Engineer with BL at a time when they were experimenting with a plastic Mini. He related the story of the first crash test. Apparently, when the car hit the barrier the test room filled with an opaque cloud of fibreglass fragments. When the dust settled a few seconds later, ….

Glassfibre's nasty stuff. I wonder what respiratory protection standards were in force in those days?

Near Brent Cross this morning:

attachicon.gifIMG_20180725_093832.jpg

Almost the same shade of brown and pinstriping as my old NSU Ro80....

Spot of the week, definitely.... RMWeb requires a 'fab' button  ;)

Apologies for banging on about Minis but here's another one which tickles my (biased!) fancy - Bee Gees drummer Colin Peterson with his Broadspeed Minisprint in 1969...

post-7638-0-84407700-1532521445_thumb.png

post-7638-0-50232800-1532521504.png

And this one c/o Getty images... 

post-7638-0-10883900-1532521616_thumb.jpg

The Benelite grille and magnesium Minilites would have cost a pretty penny at the time, quite apart from the Broadspeed conversion. The Mk3 Cosmics currently on my Mk2 S came from a mate who's got a whole stash of such items, it took me nearly fifteen years to persuade him to let me have them, he's also got several Benelite grilles tucked away, the sneaky blighter! 

Edit : the 'mirrorline' reflective plates on the Minisprint were still a novelty in '69, they first appeared in '68 on Jensen Interceptors and Silver Shadows etc.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 9

As we're on about celebs Minis, here's Mr Tippex and his 67 Radford. Apparently it was the most expensive Mini produced up till then.

post-508-0-96079200-1532524701.jpg

Benelite grill complete with Lucas 5 inchers.

The full cockpit complement of Smiths Gauges and the Mota-Lita.

post-508-0-95734200-1532524728.jpg

And some period Philips radios.

I still have a Carmaster 240T (Btm Left) stashed away in good working order.

post-508-0-53683400-1532524951_thumb.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 9