RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Early 2CV, plus Ami 6 Ami 8 in need of sympathetic panel-beating.....

post-6879-0-72465600-1536704136_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-73716800-1536704253_thumb.jpg

...and a couple of "ordinary" DSs:

post-6879-0-18383700-1536704686_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-19712000-1536706821_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-70989300-1536707022_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-81396900-1536707136_thumb.jpg

The problem with camper vans is condensation especially in spring and autumn with cooler nights.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 13

Well now we've seen someone polishing a turd (not the car, just the bodywork!!) ;) :)

To be honest, the Ami 6 has always looked a bit awkward to my eyes. It has a recognisable "face", no doubt about that, but Citroen didn't think that its doors were fit to have anything other than sliding windows, which didn't really do its looks any favours. Still, with almost 2 million of the things built, people clearly liked them enough.

• Like 1

For those who didn't get to the Goodwood Revival this year, there is a "live" show and highlights programmes currently available on the ITV Hub: https://www.itv.com/hub/goodwood-revival/1a8806a0014  Some nice machinery on display, and some spirited racing.  I am always impressed by the guys who go out on the track and give it a damn good go in cars worth almost as much as my house!

Re: Citroens, my BiL had a CX Safari for a while and we shared the driving once on a trip from London to deepest Herefordshire.  I still remember at the end my shift we pulled in to a Little Chef, found a space in the car park and when I looked behind to reverse in I thought I was going to need binoculars to see to the back of the car!  Very comfortable and relaxing to drive, though - you didn't really notice the size until you had to manoeuvre the thing, and even then it was easier than it looked.

I had a BX GTi for a few years - the one with the plastic bonnet.  It generally did its job well, apart from the time when it emptied its auto box along the A6 - the French one - during a heatwave.  The rental car that Citroen fixed me up with so that I could get to a ferry had no aircon, so I drove most of the rest of the way to Calais with all the windows down...

As well as the CX my BiL also had a Visa Diesel for a while (which we called the Wiesel).  This was in the days when a diesel was just a diesel - none of your fancy-pants turbo charging.  On Herefordshire and Gloucestershire A roads the basic technique was to wind it up to 50-60mph and drive cannily to conserve speed, because if you had to slow down it took a wee while to get it back again.  Helpfully, it went round corners pretty well, so as long as the sight lines were good - and with a bit of concentration and knowledge of the road - you could keep it trolling along quite happily.  Am I correct in remembering that Visas had that coke can gizmo sticking out of the dash next to the wheel where some of the auxiliary controls lived?

• Like 1

To be honest, the Ami 6 has always looked a bit awkward to my eyes. It has a recognisable "face", no doubt about that, but Citroen didn't think that its doors were fit to have anything other than sliding windows, which didn't really do its looks any favours. Still, with almost 2 million of the things built, people clearly liked them enough.

By coincidence this popped up elsewhere this afternoon...

post-7638-0-50676200-1536766562.jpg

I've no idea what the differences are between the 6 and the 8!

• Like 3

Ami 8 could also be had with the flat-4 1100cc engine from the Citroen GS. That would have been a pokey wee automobile?

What I didn't realise was, the Ami had a 17 year production run, and 1.8 million of them were made. I like them....less austere than the duck shoveler, yet very quirky in a 'french' manner.

They also shared their headlights with the Maserati 5000....[to be fair, the rectangular-ish headlights were a Hella innovation...flogged to a few car manufacturers....also upsetting our American cuzzins....who righteously believed, lamps should only be round!]

I'd have an Ami of either engine willingly on my driveway.....at least I'd be able to find it in Tesco's car park!!

• Like 2

had a Visa Diesel for a while (which we called the Wiesel).  This was in the days when a diesel was just a diesel - none of your fancy-pants turbo charging.  On Herefordshire and Gloucestershire A roads the basic technique was to wind it up to 50-60mph and drive cannily to conserve speed, because if you had to slow down it took a wee while to get it back again. 

I assume that was the 1.4? I had it in a Metro and TBH never found it as gutless as you or others seem to think it is... Having said that I'd driven diesels for many years by then so knew how to get the best out of them... I always used to get p'd off with Clarkson and friends who used to expect a diesel to drive the same way as a petrol and moan about it when they couldn't get it to perform the way it would if driven properly...

Having said that if you think that engine was bad try driving a Nissan Micra 1.0 auto (or come to that, manual), that gives you the true meaning of gutless...

Edited by Hobby

Sort of... Just the way I read your post, I never felt that had to "wind it up" which would indicate it was gutless, up to 40 or 50 it was comparable with all the other similar petrol powered small hatchbacks around at the time and better than some (i.e. that Micra!)... Having said that I've never gone in for how fast my car will get to 60 from rest, if I wanted a racing car I'd go and race on the track rather than the road (which is what I did!), but many people seem obsessed with how fast cars will go when in reality its a waste of time worrying for most drivers in the UK as we can't use all that power!  ;)

• Like 1

.....many people seem obsessed with how fast cars will go when in reality its a waste of time worrying for most drivers in the UK as we can't use all that power!  ;)

Probably the important factor is the "in gear" time - i.e. the time taken from one given speed to accelerate to another speed point without necessarily having to change down to do it. That's where the diesels/turbo-diesels tended to be superior to petrol cars.

Probably the important factor is the "in gear" time - i.e. the time taken from one given speed to accelerate to another speed point without necessarily having to change down to do it. That's where the diesels/turbo-diesels tended to be superior to petrol cars.

Changing down is part of the fun.

All the best

Katy (whose formative years on the road involved quite a lot of 2 stroke bikes)

Gearchanging manually...such a waste of time [as in one's life-time?]....all that time spent free-wheeling, instead of accelerating. It's a thing one realises as an older driver.....?

AS a one-time bus driver with a hirsute backside....driving old Bristols or AECs, etc...with straight-cut gearboxes, which required double de-clutching......I once worked out how many gearchanges I did over an 8 hour shift, in town.

And got a headache as a result.

{Taking an average 30 minute journey time out...30 minutes back....with maybe something like, for example, say...15 stops each way? Just for an example...sometimes more, sometimes less... That would be, 2 gearchanges down [bristols must not be brought to a halt in top gear]......maybe 3 gearchanges up.....that's approximately 150 gear changes each hour....over an 8 hour shift,that's...oooh.....1200 gearchanges....6 day week, 48 weeks a year....b'y 'ell!!]

I always felt entitled to crunch the odd gearchange now & then!!!

I couldn't wait to get into a semi auto bus, or even, an auto!

I find the old Mustang, with its 3 speed auto box, a delight to drive around.....and even if it is 50 years old...with the smallest engine Ford USA then used [3.3 litres, even so].....Taking off at roundabouts is pure heaven......as soon as I decide to go, it's gone....none of this malarkey about finding clutch bite, or fiddling around changing gears half way round....it purely a case of, stamping on the gas, and go! I've usually taken my exit  a noticeable amount of time before an AUdi driver next to me has even translated their brain's decision to 'go'...into actual movement of the car.....

An auto box can even be  controlled, by using the kick down or 'hold' positions on the gear lever. Plus...[in a heavy vehicle, especially a diseasle,] the auto box will never allow the driver to make either of the two classic mistakes  drivers in manual transmission vehicles make, when using the gearbox. [too low a gear for too high a road speed....best way to get a bus to stand on its nose-end?]....or too high a gear, for too low a road speed [engine struggling to even keep going...slogging, in other words]

Even the Dellow...which is currently on a 3 speed Ford box with standard 10HP ratios.....will set off in 2nd, then stay in top even down to tickover.....regardless. {Mind, changing gear is somewhat awkward..imagine being in a yoga class, and having to use one's left leg, with someone stood in the way?}...It came to me with  a 3 speed Ford box with Buckler D-type ratios....Buckler realised that, in a lightweight car, the driver wouldn't use first gear much..so he upped the ratios of 1st & 2nd gear, to roughly correspond to where 2nd & 3rd would be, in a 4 speed box.....top being direct in any event. Bloody useless when trialling!! But, great fun when road driving....

A photo from last Sundays classic car meet at the Martlesham Heath Aviation Society Museum. I had been to a SVEC organised show at Bredfield the previous day, where several of the same cars appeared. They included a Mk3 Zodiac, several Vauxhall Velox PA's and the Yellow/White Lotus Elan. We arrived after visiting the Woodbridge Maritime event, so my own MGB is in the public car park.

post-1191-0-52523100-1536840737_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

An opportunity absent in an electric car.

One reason they are not on my shopping list.

I enjoy changing gear. Double declutching is part of the fun.

Torque dropping off as speed rise is frustrating. Torque increasing with revs, and then when it drops being able to select another gear and ride the torque coming in is great.

Lazy auto really doesn’t appeal.

All the best

Katy

• Like 2