EM gauge 1950s-60s wagons

glued the main body together, still things to add like the runner along the bottom, the chalk plate at the bottom centre of the door which I forgot to do and I think the roof came down a bit further on these..

this camera is annoying me, hopefully sort that out soon..

post-27-0-18034600-1373751558_thumb.jpg

ive made a start on a new Parkside dundas GWR mica B, nice kit, they've got some photocopier style photos in the instructions now, still a little confusing in some areas as all kits can be if you dont know the prototype but after a few reads it all starts to make sense, I may change the roof vent positions to the 2 in the centre of the roof, like in the austin 7 shot posted earlier.

post-27-0-36653500-1373893640_thumb.jpg

and from a new kit to a very old one, but from what ive read its still a very good one..

post-27-0-03155600-1373893434_thumb.jpg

the ratio kit builds up very nice, just changed the old romford wheels it came with which had rounded off axle ends.

starting to build up a bit of a rake now, also aquired a nicely built vanwide from friend Gareth Rowlands, just needs backdating and also gave me some spare parkside ends so ive used the bufferbeams on some of the Dapol bodied wagons..

post-27-0-44857800-1373920363_thumb.jpg

Gets addictive don't it?

Mike.

Oh yes!

So many wagons, so little time.

Thanks for posting this thread Michael. How to add (with the least effort, my favourite way)  the  buffer beams on those Dapol / Airfix coversions  has been baffling me for a while now. I will unashamedly copy you on this.

Also looks like I may need to start making some Palvans to use up the leftovers too

Andy

Oh yes!

So many wagons, so little time.

Thanks for posting this thread Michael. How to add (with the least effort, my favourite way)  the  buffer beams on those Dapol / Airfix coversions  has been baffling me for a while now. I will unashamedly copy you on this.

Also looks like I may need to start making some Palvans to use up the leftovers too

Andy

We might need to set up a support group..

'My name's Brian, and I build wagons..'

the vans are addictive, but ive gotta make sure I finish these before I start a load more I think. need some new mini drill bits to do the brakegear.

also looking at other interesting variations, I was looking at my dads old triang Hornby vanwide's and wondered if it the vents on the doors on those could be cut off and stuck on the doors of a parkside vanwide?  

Im not to concerned with vanwides however, as I havent seen any shots of any in photos of the area and period  I like to model, as soon as I spot one in a photo that will perk up the interest Im sure.

Some may wonder why so much of my stuff ihere and n other threads has stopped near the paint stages, im hoping to get a new airbrush and compressor soon so im concentrating on building rather than painting at the moment.

I want some gwr, southern and br 10t vans soon. but I think the next load of wagons will be minerals as I need to get a load ready in time for Crown street's appearance at Expo north this year.

• RMweb Gold

There are some variations to be had with the BR van with the 4 vents on the lower sides (can't remember numbers) removing these vents and strapping and a different underframe creates a late LMS van. Can't remember the details but there was a magazine article many years ago if anyone out there can remember where.

the vans are addictive, but ive gotta make sure I finish these before I start a load more I think. need some new mini drill bits to do the brakegear.

also looking at other interesting variations, I was looking at my dads old triang Hornby vanwide's and wondered if it the vents on the doors on those could be cut off and stuck on the doors of a parkside vanwide?  

Im not to concerned with vanwides however, as I havent seen any shots of any in photos of the area and period  I like to model, as soon as I spot one in a photo that will perk up the interest Im sure.

Some may wonder why so much of my stuff ihere and n other threads has stopped near the paint stages, im hoping to get a new airbrush and compressor soon so im concentrating on building rather than painting at the moment.

I want some gwr, southern and br 10t vans soon. but I think the next load of wagons will be minerals as I need to get a load ready in time for Crown street's appearance at Expo north this year.

I did one of the Ventilated Fruit Van versions of the Vanwide, using the Parkside kit. I left the ventilator cowl off the end, and built the covers for the door vents from plastic sheet, strip and rod. I'd done this when building some ferry vans, so had some idea of how to achieve the desired effect. I think I'd looked at using the Blacksmith Siphon G ones, but had decided they were the wrong size.

Off to chew at life's gristle...

also been eying up my dads collection of triang conflat l's. I know the wagon is poor but how good are the containers? I know Bill Bedford does an etched kit of these.

I think the containers are a bit on the small side. Genesis do some:-

http://pluto.servers.rbl-mer.misp.co.uk/~torqueoc/genesiskits.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=11&Itemid=3&vmcchk=1&Itemid=3

For the wagon, you could probably get away with either a Parkside Conflat, or a Red Panda Lowfit, depending which type you wanted to model.

cheers Brian

just been giving them a run on the layout tonight, push them along by hand and see if they run through all the pointwork ok, run great and run on for ages, nice and smooth, should be no problem for locos on the steep incline.

post-27-0-78079800-1374019879_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-28787000-1374019898_thumb.jpg

will get some better pics when I get a new camera soon, not much to see at the moment anyway.

I was looking at my dads old triang Hornby vanwide's and wondered if it the vents on the doors on those could be cut off and stuck on the doors of a parkside vanwide?  

Im not to concerned with vanwides

Michael

If by this you mean fitting those continental vent wotsit thingies on the doors of the Parkside Vanwide  kit then be aware that this may not work so well. I seem to recall reading that the door centreline is about 0.5mm out on the kit. Not measured it lately though

Not so much that you would notice in everyday use, but certainly would if you tried to add detail to the doors without making some sort of adjustment to one set of vents to keep it all looking right

Andy

Who also builds wagons.

Ill have a look into that more but its not a priority. 

also meant to say that I tried the pinning of lead inside, used a couple of brass drawing pins from inside and bent over on the underside, worked well and quick, have to do that when you start though.

I want to build a few of these soon,we already have one which Chris has built which could just do with decals although hes hand painted his letters.

Ive got drawings from Bob Essery and photos, just need to stock up on parts.axle boxes, springs, buffers etc, Chris used an old Hornby brake van as a basis for the body (think it was the short NE one) so need to find a few of those too, he shortened it and made a brass chassis but he cant remember what he used for the detail bits

post-27-0-44557100-1374110328.jpg

Michael

That looks very similar to a shortened Airfix/ Dapol LMS brake van, especially the ends.

With the NE version you would have to cut out the upper verandah openings. They are ready made with the LMS version. You could remove the ducket area to shorten and have some duckets for the spares box.

To hold weight inside I use sprue offcuts glued across the inside (only really works on vans though). I also glue a piece across just above centre to prevent bowing from handling. Although this is unlikley, I prefer the belt and braces approach

Andy

from vans to mineral wagons, not kitbuilt but Bachmann ones, unscrewing the couplings ready for sprat and winkles, add weight, scrape back of the w irons flush,replace Bachmann wheels for Romfords pulled out to EM and renumber using modelmaster transfers.

I think I will standardise on the Bachmann ones and build kits of the less common ones.

post-27-0-97994400-1374345869_thumb.jpg

Archived