Improving the Lima Capri

quicksilvercoaches

I'm sure you're all familiar with the Mk1 Ford Capri made by Lima - a decent body let down by awful running gear that looks like the suspension has collapsed. Having acquired a cheap one a while ago, I recently set about trying to improve it. There are too many immaculate high-spec cars on my roads so I decided to go for a base model in 1980s council estate condition with much rust and an underseal tidemark. The chassis and interior from an Oxford Diecast Mk2 Cortina more or less fitted straight in with just a bit of trimming at the ends - the bits from the Oxford Capri would probably fit too but I don't have one of those spare.

post-16790-0-33902800-1372869611_thumb.jpg

Often overlooked, but I agree the body is actually pretty good. Well done for recognising it's potential. There's a couple of other easy improvements that can be made, using a fine rat tail file. First, raise the top edge of the windscreen and secondly reshape the back of the lower window so the frame lines up with the door. Here's one I did earlier, utilising my own cast 'Rostyle' wheels:

post-1877-0-39469100-1498929841.jpg

I also replaced the (dummy) side grilles with the early pattern type scored in 5 thou." plastic, but that's me being a bit pedantic (the moulded ones really belong to the 1972 'facelift' model, though the front and rear panels don't!). Incidentally, the Lima one on the left does have wheels, despite being so close to the ground, perhaps explaining why a lot of people think the model is just rubbish.

The Cararama one is slightly overscale at about 1:72 so reducing it to 1:76 wouldn't be easy; besides the improved Lima was done before it came out. Because I scratchbuilt the dashboard it's RHD too - there isn't really a dash in the Lima model, just a handbrake wheel pretending to be a steering wheel!

If you can live with the scale difference the Cararama model is very good. If you're using it with 1:72 aircraft kits it's nigh on perfect! (You'd still need to convert to RHD for Britain, of course).

Archived