RMweb

Wolvercot. what's going on?

ess1uk

As well as the Worcester service on Saturday the Edinburgh-bound Voyager I was on this morning also used the Down Oxford Relief to Wolvercote Jc - Is this now the standard routing for Down trains departing Platform 4 I wonder ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I made my usual Christmas trip to Aristotle Lane and Walton Well Road on Sunday last.

Rathe murky pictures at https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/sets/72157640353126193

and https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/sets/72157662881635111

It was good to see the Aristotle lane trackwork complete, but the signal gantries there and at Walton well Road were a bit of a shock.

32673524128_8974456ede_b.jpgWalton Well Road by David Harvey, on Flickr

There is a new, or extended siding on the down side reaching almost to the bridge, which has made the access point unworkable. A belt and braces approach to stop blocks has been provided.

45633164865_0505040977_b.jpgWalton Well Road by David Harvey, on Flickr

The up side carriage sidings seem to have been completed with plenty of low level lighting. I have seen these referred to as the electric sidings, supposedly designed with electrification in mind. If foundations for OHLE have not been provided provision should have been made for them to be installed without having to relocate any services.

32673528598_13e8bb1777_b.jpgWalton Well Road by David Harvey, on Flickr

Thanks

Dave

• Like 3

Thanks for the photos Dave, living 400 miles away as I do now it is always good to see pictures of where I grew up ! Who would have thought in the 1970s that there would one day again be 6 tracks north of Oxford, not to mention a half-hourly service on the Bicester line. The signal gantries do look rather brutal, although they should last a long time, and I would agree that the works should/must have allowed for future electrification (it will happen one day, won't it ?). Thanks again.

The up side carriage sidings seem to have been completed with plenty of low level lighting. I have seen these referred to as the electric sidings, supposedly designed with electrification in mind. If foundations for OHLE have not been provided provision should have been made for them to be installed without having to relocate any services.

Hi,

The design for the electrification at Oxford has been completed and effectively all the work has been done around it, its just that the electrification hasn't been installed yet.

Simon

• Like 1