How to solder pewter kits?

Hi. So I've just recieved of couple of the genesis kits track panel wagons, but I didn't realise they were made of pewter parts. Now I know pewter has a low melting point so before I started I was looking for a few tips. I've got a temperature controlled iron, but what temperature should I set it at? What is the best solder to use?

Cheers.

It's a subject that is covered here quite regularly and there are many topics addressing beginners' questions. As a start, try typing 'white metal soldering' into the search box at top right, then settle back for a few hours reading of everything from sound advice through to old wive's tales.

Nick

Hi. So I've just recieved of couple of the genesis kits track panel wagons, but I didn't realise they were made of pewter parts. Now I know pewter has a low melting point so before I started I was looking for a few tips. I've got a temperature controlled iron, but what temperature should I set it at? What is the best solder to use?

Cheers.

This Link might help you:

http://www.7mmlocomotives.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=5&id=18&Itemid=45

Archived