Backdating an Ixion Hudswell Clarke

Argos

• RMweb Gold

According to the product blurb, the prototype Hudswell Clarke Tank modelled by Ixion was produced between 1888 - 1946 with the model being representertive of production between 1920-1930.

The model fits the bill for a minimum space layout I have had under construction in various forms for the past few years but the time period is off, I have a cut off date of 1903 (when centre lamp brackets appeared on LNWR locos).

Can anyone advise what changes would be required to back date the model to this timeframe?

Or recomend a book or website hwere the information could be found?

Thanks

Argos

Hi Argos,

HCs of this class from the late 1800s were characterised, and easily identified by some heavy riveting on the cab especially;the sandboxes above the footplate; and different wheels and coupling rods. Plus myriad other smaller details, like the height of the chimney.

Our first CAD drawings of this loco were based on Easingwold Railway No.2. If you can track down a photo of that loco on the web, you'll see exactly what I mean. There may even be an image from that original Ixion CAD on the net, or even in the archives of our website. If you aren't so fussy about those elements below the footplate, you could add the riveting and replace the sandboxes and have a reasonable facsimile. Check out the profile of the front of the frames too; Don Townsley had a brilliant article and drawing of ER No.2 in MRJ, around about issue 34 which is your best reference point.

It was when we found, quite late in the production planning, a treasure trove of photos of HCs in industrial service that we discovered that very few of the really old ones survived beyond the Great War, and that virtually all the photographic evidence showed the loco features that we have modelled. But there were still SO many variations, even then; for example, look for the chassis frame cut outs below the firebox; older ones are rectangular like Works No 1530, the loco that came here to Australia. Later locos after about W/N 1600 had rounded-end cutouts. It's a minefield, trying to manufacture model trains...

Best wishes with the back-dating, if you attempt it. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Lindsay O'Reilly

Ixion Model Railways Ltd.

Yes, please let us know how you get on
and good luck with it
Maybe someone could put together a conversion kit for this purpose?

Could be a good seller, given the amount of sales of these little locos.....
plus modellers' tendency to want to tinker, or to create something a little different

I'm going to trawl through some old Railway Bylines mags tonight
I'm pretty sure I saw a photo of one, with a sort of "home made" cab?
Which may have been a modification, or possibly a repair

I could be wrong - it may not have been a HC
but my (sometimes unreliable) memory has placed a picture in my mind ;)

Cheers

Marc

• RMweb Premium

See if you can get a copy of 'Scenes from the Past:45' Manchester to Hayfield by Ian Smith and Greg Fox published by Foxline Publications January 2003 ISBN1870119738

This has a couple of photos of the HC locos used to build the Kinder Reservoir near Hayfield (Derbys) Looks like Stockport Corporation bought 6 locos in 1908/9 and they were in use until 1914 before being 'sold on'

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Lindsay,

Thanks for the information.

Looking at pictures of Easingwold Railway No 2:-

http://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/BRITISH-STEAM-LOCOMOTIVES/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-RAILWAYS-NOT/17607309_CvZB4R/1421167344_gDcJkng#!i=1470613026&k=TBcQV7w&lb=1&s=L

it would appear to be a easy (ish) project, I suspect there would be a devil in the detail though.

Archers or similars rivets and a new sandbox shouldn't be too complex to sort.

Marc,

it may be a while before I get around to the conversion.

My focus is on a 2mm project at the moment, it's my lad (aged 7) who keeps nagging me as he wants to play with the 7mm stuff who is driving this query.

Strangly he doesn't seem that bothered by the 2mm stuff.

Any information you turn up would be gratefully recieved though.

Argos

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

Thanks for the prompt, I have the book on my bookshelf, I had completly forgotton about the Kinder line there are some nice photos.

The cabs seem to have lost there rivets by 1908.

Argos

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the prompt, I have the book on my bookshelf, I had completly forgotton about the Kinder line there are some nice photos.

The book has been on the shelf at the local Club for a number of years and a few months ago someone looked at it and left it on the table. Clearing things away, I just flicked though the pages and it fell open at that page near the back - having just got an Ixion loco, I recognised it straight away and borrowed the book - your posting reminded me that I really must take the book back to our library.

I see you are in Leek - perhaps a bit far to bring your lad on a club night (Tues/Fri) but please bring the lad and the loco to our October show and we'll let him run it up and down the layout a few times - as long as it's not maroon otherwise we'll get it mixed up with mine !!

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

Thanks for the kind invite, I've yet to buy the Hudswell Clarke It was only under consideration, but looks like it's too late now!

I can't see any info on your October show on your web site though it might just be blindness.....

Argos

• RMweb Premium

I can't see any info on your October show on your web site though it might just be blindness.....

Not blindness - just brain failure on my part as we are still showing details of the last show - I'll get my son to update the pages . . . . . . .

Thanks for pointing that out - it just goes to show that none of our club members look at our own web site !!

Mike

• 8 months later...

Does anyone know when the change was made from sandboxes next to the smokebox to ones under the flootplate?

According to the text iof the article which appeared in the MRJ no 31 with regard to Easingwold Rly. No. 2 the sandboxes were moved below the footplate on engines built after 1921, this is apparently based on photographic evidence. The article also mentions......

Wheels.....these were changed from 12 spoke cast iron ones to 10 spoke cast steel (as per the model) in 1904, though the former appeared on odd locos built after this date.

Smokebox doors......changed from a single fixing to two straps (as per the model) in locos built after 1924.

Cabs.......the style of cab as on the model dates from 1897 ,but then were rivetted (as was the smokebox wrapper) for a time.......these are probably best put on with Archer transfers.......but could be fiddly as there are a lot of them...... :umbrage:

As with industrial engines in general variations were legion so its probaly best to work from a photo .......otherwise it's where modeller's licence comes into play :yes:

Archived