Locomotive portraits

chaz

• 2 weeks later...

Streamliners, or Bulldogs, have been a bit in the news Down Under of late....

post-4406-0-75485100-1478398954_thumb.jpg

Star of Streamliners 2016, built in 1952 and still operational, former Victorian Railways B61 sits on the turntable at Goulburn, New South Wales - October 2016.

post-4406-0-21525400-1478399005_thumb.jpg

The very first Australian Bulldog built in 1951, partially restored former Commonwealth Railways (CR) GM1 also at Goulburn - October 2016

post-4406-0-60831200-1478398961_thumb.jpg

64 year old former CR GM10 is still operational and sees occasional use with current owner Southern Shorthaul Railroad. Seen at Port Augusta just over a week ago, part of an all Bulldog consist hauling a wagon transfer from South Australia to New South Wales.

Edited by bingley hall
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

6034 at Enfield, Sydney, NSW, Australia circa 1969

19444955148_2ee1aa3252_b.jpg

Wolseley,

What a super photograph. Erm I'm a bit of a painter and wondered if you'd mind if I used your photograph as the basis of a painting. I'm thinking oils or acrylic, and would love to  - correction: would love to try - and capture the essence of these huge beasts. It would interesting to reverse the process, too, by then depicting one in full steam with lots of heat, smoke and steam. 

Regards,

Cliff

Wolseley,

What a super photograph. Erm I'm a bit of a painter and wondered if you'd mind if I used your photograph as the basis of a painting. I'm thinking oils or acrylic, and would love to  - correction: would love to try - and capture the essence of these huge beasts. It would interesting to reverse the process, too, by then depicting one in full steam with lots of heat, smoke and steam. 

Regards,

Cliff

Hi.  Feel free to use it in that way if you wish.  It wouldn't be the first time one of my photos has been used for a painting - my father was an art teacher (he trained at Dundee Art College in the 1940s after being  demobilised from the RAF) and used to paint trains and landscapes in his spare time.

Here are a couple of photos of a Garratt in action, in this case the now preserved 6042.  They were taken (I think in 1973) in the Southern Highlands somewhere between Moss Vale and Summit Tank on the Unanderra line.  Not among my best photos though - I'm afraid the weather that day wasn't conducive to good photography and, just to make things worse, I hadn't noticed that the battery in my exposure meter was a bit flat....

31116696116_44a60b3310_b.jpg

31116693826_cfdc1ba29c_b.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

:scratchhead: They're not locomotives  :O

<cue bunfight>

That first pic of Keith's of the narrow gauge loco just looks wrong, though, too tall and thin, especially with such a narrow buffer beam.  Looks like it'll fall over of the wind blows!  

A timely reminder in the form of a quote from my first posting on this topic...

"Just a couple of rules....

The photo was taken by you*

it depicts a 12inch to the foot loco (oh alright, units allowed), not a model - plenty of other places on forum for model shots

SG or NG (even BG), moving or stationary, steam, diesel or electric, British or overseas - just about anything goes."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't like all the images posted on this topic - who would? But I do like the tremendous variety it has included. Keep it up lads.

* This "rule" has been flouted on occasion - but so what - it's nearly Christmas!

Chaz

• 2 weeks later...

D7671 (25 321) Midland Railway Centre, Swanwick. 13/8/2016.

I'm pretty sure that 7671 was in the assembly line at Derby when I visited the works. I don't know how far advanced the build was - it was a long time ago. Good to know it has survived.

• RMweb Premium

30779983924_9cca147e50_k.jpgE351 unit arrives at Matsumoto with a 'Super Azusa' express from Tokyo by Claude_Dreyfus, on Flickr

An E351 'Super Azusa' unit arrives at Matsumoto with a service from Tokyo - 14 May 2014. The replacement for these units is already being delivered, so this scene will soon be history.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Despite their looks these were closer to a North American SD40 than an E8 or E9

CLP11 was built in 1971 for the Commonwealth Railways by Clyde Engineering (as CL14), and rebuilt for then owner Australian National (AN) in 1993 by Morrison Knudsen Australia.
As of early 2017 it has been in long term storage for approx 4 years. Dry Creek, South Australia - April 2005.

post-4406-0-24416400-1486084745_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

On a half-term trip to the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, with two grandchildren, after relieving ourselves following a 90-minute toilet-free 313 journey from Brighton, we emerged to see 37254 and 37219 roll into the Harbour station topping and tailing, what was labelled as, NR's overhead line inspection train. I am sure it has other functions, but there ain't overhead wires down there. Perhaps they were looking to see where the missing GWML o l e had been erected. It was a good start to an enjoyable day.

I seem to have lost my initial few shots of Colas' 37219 and only have a partial one. My nine-year-old grandson may have some on his phone. I'll add them if he let's me.

post-14351-0-48955000-1487113954_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-12681300-1487114773_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 8

"Garn....giss us a kiss...."

attachicon.gifKissin emus Tilbury 21st November late 80s exp.jpg

(Tilbury one 21st November, late 80s I think)

I found this photo posted on a facebook group for the L T & S R without so much as an acknowledgement. Either that or someone managed to take an absolutely identical photo of the same two trains down to the same distance apart  (counted in bricks)