The Lofty Heights

silky_jack

Ha - no, I wish I could take credit for these!

The photo is of Universal Studios' O-scale proof models used in the construction of their theme park's Harry Potter attraction in Orlando, FL.

I have been slowly acquiring the raw materials to scratch build (& some kit bashing) an OO scale model of this though as part of my long-term plan.

The coal sidings would be a private coal yard as opposed to loco coal.  As such it could go anywhere you like.  It could also be a general builders merchants.  Quite commonly they would have had sidings and many are still located next to rail lines (though having taken up their sidings)

As a minimum it would be a small office.  If you are going for a builders merchants operation then you could add what you like in terms of stores, offices, small industrial units, etc.  You can then have lots of stack of bricks, timber under a shelter, etc.

Generally they would use the siding for storage.  So full trucks would come in - they would unload them into coal staithes or just piles then send it out for deliveries in sacks on a flat bed lorry/cart.  Depending on the era the trucks would be private owner or British Railways.  Once unloaded the empties would be picked up - probably by the train delivering the full ones.

In reality many coal merchants used the trucks as additional storage and only unloaded when they needed to so avoided double handling.  In order to try and stop this a charge was introduced for having the trucks on their siding for too long.

PS This site is awesome for anything you wanted to know about freight operations on the railways

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/7-fops/007-index.htm

It's also crying out to be made into one of these:

rhtt2.jpg

Those CMX are heavy enough as it is - add any more weight, and it probably won't go anywhere!

(they almost skid around the tracks on the central pad, with the bogies going along for the ride to make it do around corners).

Amazingly hefty for something that is a lot smaller than it looks in photos.

You do know I scrutinise these pictures carefully for my research of Goathland,  and as such I know the last post was the same picture twice!!!! How stupid do you think i am..........hang on a sec don't answer that!!!!!!

Encouraging you to come here was purely to get to your informative research ;p Well and to come and chat to someone that will put up with me. And the big plus is your making loads more friends  :yahoo_mini: 

I did that same joke with dt ;p

Have you tried going down to street-level for Goathland Station on Google Maps?

You could drop down on yer Broomstick, Silky  ......  have a cup of Chai and be back before the Moon rises  .....  :drag:

J

Thats what we like to hear, people will have to place orders for aspects they are interest in ..............

A side trip to Whitby for a day trip (not a hint mind, only if you  are genuinley off there, it is YOUR holiday) A snap of Whitby Abbey.

And a couple of pictures of the camping coaches, which I believe interests you as well.

Cgraham who resides in the US might be interested in something he can't get from google.

:girldevil:

Hi Silky,

I'm actually there later in August for a family holiday and we stay at a friend's cottage in Goathland...

Wow, fantastic  .....   What day are you going Silky  ...   I want to be there to see you get onto Platform 9 3/4 ....................    :banghead:  :toclue:

J

Archived