Why did my decoder die?

njee20

• RMweb Premium

Would welcome some advice...!

Basic Bachmann 6-pin decoder in an n gauge Dapol HST. Running for 30 mins or so, then just stopped. Body was warm to the touch, motor was really hot when I got the body off (I know this can be issue, but not sure if it was the cause).

The insulation on the chip has melted and its clearly for the bin now. Loco seems to respond fine with a different chip in once I'd left it a few mins to cool.

Is this just a risk of using a 'cheap' decoder, is it related to how hot the loco was running? Loathe to put another chip in if there's a problem with the loco!

Sure this is DCC 101, but I'm a bit of a newby to the whole thing!

• RMweb Gold

Would welcome some advice...!

Basic Bachmann 6-pin decoder in an n gauge Dapol HST. Running for 30 mins or so, then just stopped. Body was warm to the touch, motor was really hot when I got the body off (I know this can be issue, but not sure if it was the cause).

The insulation on the chip has melted and its clearly for the bin now. Loco seems to respond fine with a different chip in once I'd left it a few mins to cool.

Is this just a risk of using a 'cheap' decoder, is it related to how hot the loco was running? Loathe to put another chip in if there's a problem with the loco!

Sure this is DCC 101, but I'm a bit of a newby to the whole thing!

Cheap decoders are not sold on the basis of letting go after 30' - they are sold as having fewer features, so being cheaper to produce. I don't model N, so am used to having more air round motor and decoder, but I'd worry that anything melted. Look closely at your loco to see why it runs hot, I'd say.

Archived