Bachmann to distribute EFE

PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium

I can never understand why EFE didn't expand on their models of larger fleet operators to produce two or three of the same model but with differing fleet,registration numbers and adverts at the same time.

I would probably have bough more had this been the case.  Buses are a significant but secondary interest here and I don't have the time or inclination to change such details myself even though it should be relatively easy.  Instead I have doubles of a few (two of RT604 bound for Chelsham on the 403 for example) when two different stock numbers with either the same or different destinations would have been better.

This isn't quite the same as the those models offered in A and B variants with the same vehicle showing different destinations but the concept is very similar.

• 2 weeks later...

As has been stated earlier, it's no big surprise that EFE has gone under, with sometimes mediocre models (look at some of the lorries) at over £30 each. Bachmann also now own the ex-Pocketbond "Classix" range of cars and light commercials, and I sincerely hope that there will be further additions to this range, (and indeed to EFE), but the price of the latter will have to be reduced dramatically if there is to be any chance of competing with Oxford and even some of the better BT Models (Base Toys). Remember a few years ago when Bachmann brought out their own 1/76 scale "range"? - a few very expensive Scammell Scarabs which had a tendency to fall apart, either before opening the box, or shortly after. That range didn't last very long! Corgi too, and their Hornby parent, seem to be on thin ice at the moment. Corgi quietly dropped their Trackside range a couple of years ago, just as it looked likely to become more interesting with the introduction of the railway Thornycroft and Maudslay horsebox, and the Ruston Bucyrus excavators, and I also believe that their Roadscene modern trucks series is now dormant - how long before the OOC buses are called back to the depot?

I do wonder with the Bachmann takeover whether we will be seeing Injection moulding paying a larger part in EFE models in the longer term (although existing castings would likely have to remain as castings), especially with the metal fatigue problems EFE and especially Britbus models have been experiencing over the past couple of years.

I do wonder with the Bachmann takeover whether we will be seeing Injection moulding paying a larger part in EFE models in the longer term (although existing castings would likely have to remain as castings), especially with the metal fatigue problems EFE and especially Britbus models have been experiencing over the past couple of years.

I didn't know about the metal fatigue issue. Any particular models, both EFE and Britbus?

• RMweb Premium

I didn't know about the metal fatigue issue. Any particular models, both EFE and Britbus?

Certain EFE lorry models have suffered from metal fatigue, the articulated vans in Pickfords (AEC) and Tate & Lyle (Atkinson) liveries in particular. It is usually only the trailers that are affected but it appears to be contaigious, I have the Pickfords one and it has spread from the trailer to the tractor unit. The other one it is the trailer only but I'm keeping it well away from my other diecasts just in case. Several models in the Britbus range apparently suffer with this problem as I don't possess any of their models I don't know which ones. One of the signs of metal fatigue is that the casting swells, this is not always apparent at first but one way to check is do the wheels turn?, if they are 'locked' leave well alone.

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately it may be that Oxford Diecasts move into the model bus and coach market accelerated the decline of brands like EFE. Oxford has produced 6 new bus and coach models in the last five years and another just announced, with prices that were about half those of EFE and Corgi, whereas EFE wasn't able to produce any new tooling in that time and Corgi has only produced one new tooled bus.

I tend to agree, Oxford's multi-media construction results in a much more convincing appearance, especially around the window area. Their Weymann Fanfare is a little stunner and I'm eagerly awaiting the new Royal Blue Bristol MW. I also have a couple of the BT Models Lodekkas, which are pretty good, too.

I've always been rather puzzled why none of the manufacturers have ever tackled the various sizes of 1960s/'70s Duple Vega coach. The myriad small and medium sized operators who ran them should provide an almost limitless range of liveries to keep sales going. OOC did the much less common Plaxton-bodied VAL14 in very few fleet names then it disappeared.

John

I tend to agree, Oxford's multi-media construction results in a much more convincing appearance, especially around the window area. Their Weymann Fanfare is a little stunner and I'm eagerly awaiting the new Royal Blue Bristol MW. I also have a couple of the BT Models Lodekkas, which are pretty good, too.

I've always been rather puzzled why none of the manufacturers have ever tackled the various sizes of 1960s/'70s Duple Vega coach. The myriad small and medium sized operators who ran them should provide an almost limitless range of liveries to keep sales going. OOC did the much less common Plaxton-bodied VAL14 in very few fleet names then it disappeared.

John

The logic of the manufacturers is a complete mystery to most. Oxford chose the least common variant of the Plaxton Panorama, the 36', when there were many more popular livery options available with the shorter version of the Panorama or the Embassy.

I can only think the Duple Vega/ Viceroy models have been ignored because they were more commonly the choice of smaller, independent operators. Whilst there were Duple coaches in major fleets, the options are more limited, the Viceroy and Vega Major versions of the VAL only made it into a handful of BTC/ THC operators although the Bella Vega/ Trooper was more common. This together with the numerous independents who bought them, opens up a vast catalogue of prototypes to choose from.

I'd and perhaps offers the widest , the ones which tend to be most in demand.

Archived