EMU's over Woodhead

LULFAN

Hi all

Does anyone know why EMU's never went past Hatfield?

I would have thought EMU's could have done a stopping Manchester - Sheffield, with EM1/2s doing express passenger and goods

Was it clearance problems in Woodhead tunnel?

Thanks for any infomation anyone can give

Might it have been because there was precious little traffic to be gained between Hadfield and Penistone? Apart from a few railway workers around Woodhead, the main inhabitants are sheep. On the eastern side of the Pennines, local services were already assured by DMUs between Sheffield and Huddersfield.

Guest bri.s

I believe they did run through a couple of times what for I don't know so I don't think clearance was the issue. think I've seen a picture of one at penistone somewhere maybe on flicka

I think there was some technical reason, but I don't recall what it was. Apparently the original intent was to run some semi-fast services between Manchester and Sheffield to serve places like Deepcar. Darn it, I wish I could remember. Someone did explain, but I can't think for the life of me where. (Quite possibly somewhere on here!)

• RMweb Premium

I think there was some technical reason, but I don't recall what it was. Apparently the original intent was to run some semi-fast services between Manchester and Sheffield to serve places like Deepcar. Darn it, I wish I could remember. Someone did explain, but I can't think for the life of me where. (Quite possibly somewhere on here!)

Hi

Overheating traction motors is one reason I have seen mentioned.

Cheers

Paul

E.M.Johnson in his book "Woodhead,the electric railway",he explained that the units were too low geared & as Paul says,they overheated,they couldn`t make it over the hump.

Ray

Hi all

Does anyone know why EMU's never went past Hatfield?

I would have thought EMU's could have done a stopping Manchester - Sheffield, with EM1/2s doing express passenger and goods

Was it clearance problems in Woodhead tunnel?

Thanks for any infomation anyone can give

Went past Hatfield  on the Woodhead route !  New one to me and I live in area .

E.M.Johnson in his book "Woodhead,the electric railway",he explained that the units were too low geared & as Paul says,they overheated,they couldn`t make it over the hump.

Ray

I didn't know that Tinsley Hump was electrified! :no:

Guest bri.s

I just been talking to my uncle and he said that they worked through to wath yard once or twice he said that he dont think they went to Victoria again don't know the reason and can't prove it but my uncles (although he might be getting on a bit)lol normally correct

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Went past Hatfield  on the Woodhead route !  New one to me and I live in area .

Hi

There is a picture of one at Dunford Bridge in "This was the Woodhead Route by SR Batty" and another approaching Penistone in the same book. The Penistone picture is dated 20th September 1957 and by the look of the track I would guess the Dunford Bridge one is around 1954 and the opening of the tunnel.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I was told, sometime back in the 70's, but can't substantiate the source that the problems were clearances in one of the tunnels at Thurgoland.  IIRC some door handles were lost when one went through.  This would confirm why they were seen at Wath but not at Victoria again.

Jamie

Guest bri.s

Hi

There is a picture of one at Dunford Bridge in "This was the Woodhead Route by SR Batty" and another approaching Penistone in the same book. The Penistone picture is dated 20th September 1957 and by the look of the track I would guess the Dunford Bridge one is around 1954 and the opening of the tunnel.

Cheers

Paul

The penistone picture mabe the one I've seen before I haven't got the book personally my uncle may have it and that's where I've seen it might have to have a look out for it

A bit of topic but just wondering how the layout was going(mr cheffus) since photobucket disappeared I've not seen or heard anything about it.

Back to topic wonder if it was the problem with Clearence through the tunnels at thurgoland that was one of the reason

Hi

Cheers

Paul

Hi

Cheers

Paul

Hatfield isn't it south of Sheffield nearer London I would have thought !

• RMweb Premium

Hatfield isn't it south of Sheffield nearer London I would have thought !

Hi

You know how your brain can read words from the first and last letter and it doesn't matter what order they are in the middle well that was one of those moments. Yes you are quite correct its Hadfield not Hatfield.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

A bit of topic but just wondering how the layout was going(mr cheffus) since photobucket disappeared I've not seen or heard anything about it.

Hi

Not very well to be honest, I seem to have completely lost interest in doing much modelling in general. I keep hoping something will spark my interest again but recently I have been toying with the idea of dismantling it.

Cheers

Paul

Guest bri.s

Hi

Not very well to be honest, I seem to have completely lost interest in doing much modelling in general. I keep hoping something will spark my interest again but recently I have been toying with the idea of dismantling it.

Cheers

Paul

Hope you regain your interest you put a lot of work into it.theres never enough woodhead layouts out there .It was an inspiration to me when I first got back into modelling mine although not a prototype similar, junction ,sidings,station based on the woodhead route although the otherside of the Pennines

Brian

Archived