19th-Century Layout Idea

I was watching a video clip of

, and whilst observing it's operation, an idea struck. It is essentially an inglenook with a kick-back, but the same layout could more or less be used operating small tank locomotives and 4-wheel passenger carriages. Thinking O gauge, the Dapol A1/A1x Terrier (when it finally comes) would be ideal, using LBSCR 4-wheelers and a variety of goods vehicles. The layout wouldn't need to be much different in size than the one Ian Futers as built. The only difference I would add is that the loco stabling point might also want to have a water crane and maybe a coal stage.

Just a thought. Anyone reckon they might try it?

My broad gauge layout is effectively an inglenook as well as a simple BLT, so I can use it as a shunting puzzle if I want to. With Victoria Street you will need a spare loco to pull the train out, or you could do what I've done and put a traverser under the train shed. This shortens the layout by the length of a crossover, and saves you a couple of hundred quid on an extra loco. Are you actually thinking of being able to use it as a shunting puzzle as well as a "proper" railway?

If you've got the space, the timesaver track plan is identical to the layout of a number of British branch terminus and through stations. My planned EM layout uses it. Some of the sidings and the run round loop will be longer, but will have markers to show where you're allowed to park things when using it as a shunting puzzle.

I was looking for alternatives to an inglenook or timesaver, and came across this. I have a cunning plan involving a hidden sector plate at each end, but it might give you some ideas.

SER kits do quite a range of very attractive 19th Century kits.

http://www.southeasternandchathamrailway.org.uk/page31.html

(The online price list is outdated, but if you contact the owner he will send you an updated one.)  They have some very nice items in their range, and if I were starting from scratch I would be severely tempted. The short trains of small coaches means much less space is needed. (Or the same space can be made to look more realistic.) I think this option is a good one for anyone wanting 7mm in a small space, and it will certainly be different.

Well, my interest is more in light railways. At the moment I have an Ixion Hudswell Clarke, which is due to make up a "train set" with a bash/build 4-wheel coach, a brake van and a few goods vehicles to be part of a fictitious light railway company. (in O gauge)

This would be a not-too-difficult proposition for 4mm scale, making use of a couple of Hornby Terriers and knocking up some suitable coaches from kits.

Archived