Resita fails departing Welshpool - June 2nd 2013

Aft'noon all,

The current issue of Steam Railway describes Resita failing upon departure with the first train ex Welshpool, on Sunday 2nd June. Coincidentally, I filmed the arrival into Welshpool of the inbound working, the run round and departure of that very train but as yet haven't detected the failure. Link to camcorder footage below  

Dave

• RMweb Gold

The previous failures have involved the axles and sleeve so if this is the same you'd not see any apparent problem. Shame as it's a nice chunky looking loco and the only one running over here. I wonder what failed this time and whether it's design flaws or fatigue problems.

One of the problems with this loco is that a combination of its short wheelbase and huge cylinders means that at normal running speed it waggles violently from side to side. 

This, apparently, is why most trains hauled by Resita are usually late - the ride is so rough the crews back off the regulator. 

It doesnt do the permanent way much good, either.  Near the end of its first season of operation, one of the members complained bitterly to me that the WLLR had already spent more repairing the damage Resita had done to the track than they had buying the loco in the first place!

I was over in the Czech Rep last year and watched their Resita depart with 9+ coaches on a line which had both sharp gradients and sharp curves... They've been using it for several years and don't seem to have any issues. As they are a commercial company they can't afford to either. It would seem that either the WLLR have bought a duffer or perhaps they need to go back to lines that run them and check out their maintenance/operating regimes...

Archived