Bachmann A4 nameplates

iankemp

Hi all

I am not sure if any of you have notice but i have looked at the Bachmann A4 Dwight D Eisenhower and compared it to the real thing. The nameplates are either in the wrong position or they are slightly smaller than what they should be. I have looked and compared them and i am sure they are wrong some how. 

Here is the real thing

DSCI0015-Copy_zps31d7a058.jpg

Compared with the model!

60008weathered-2_zpsccfce5da.jpg

DSCI0065_zps97a6fe3b.jpg

60008weathered-6_zps4e9762eb.jpg

As i said the nameplate is either smaller than what it should be or it is placed in the wrong place!

Or am i just being to picky on the detailing??????

Hi all

I am not sure if any of you have notice but i have looked at the Bachmann A4 Dwight D Eisenhower and compared it to the real thing. The nameplates are either in the wrong position or they are slightly smaller than what they should be. I have looked and compared them and i am sure they are wrong some how. 

As in they are red, and the ones on the loco in the NRM are black...?

The pictures you have posted are of a Hornby A4. I have noticed on many HRN A4s there seems to be a discrepency in thae shape and/or positoin of plates. I think part of the problem is the forward hatch it slightly incorrectly positioned to ofar forwards. Move that back, and align the nameplate accordingly and it will be much better. Although I sense the namplate pictures is a little too squat, but very hard to tell from those angles. Also its a TMC model, so not a HRN/Bachmann nameplate.

I think you have made a mistake with your photos as the model you are showing as a comparison is Hornby and not Bachmann

From my own records I don't think No 8 ever ran with red plates in BR Green period post 1957 (no doubt someone will prove me wrong) Regarding position of names I think the real loco names are set to far back. Just look at no 7 behind where you can see the plates are further forward. On checking photos of No 8 it seems they have always been set back that way whereas others (No 9 for instance) are set much further forward in some instances to a point where they are touching the parabolic curve.

With models its very difficult to get it completely right and sometimes they get it completely wrong like Hornby's Dominion of New Zealand which has a non-corridor tender which it never ran with or Bachmann's Commonwealth Of Australia three loco set where two locos in the set had corridor tenders and one with a non-corridor. This loco was coupled to the same tender its entire life. Of course Bachmann A4's are wrong in so many ways (as yet they have not produced a correct streamlined corridor or Non corridor tender)  whereas Hornby do get things close to correct. 

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I think you have made a mistake with your photos as the model you are showing as a comparison is Hornby and not Bachmann

From my own records I don't think No 8 ever ran with red plates in BR Green period post 1957 (no doubt someone will prove me wrong) Regarding position of names I think the real loco names are set to far back. Just look at no 7 behind where you can see the plates are further forward. On checking photos of No 8 it seems they have always been set back that way whereas others (No 9 for instance) are set much further forward in some instances to a point where they are touching the parabolic curve.

With models its very difficult to get it completely right and sometimes they get it completely wrong like Hornby's Dominion of New Zealand which has a non-corridor tender which it never ran with or Bachmann's Commonwealth Of Australia three loco set where two locos in the set had corridor tenders and one with a non-corridor. This loco was coupled to the same tender its entire life. Of course Bachmann A4's are wrong in so many ways (as yet they have not produced a correct streamlined corridor or Non corridor tender)  whereas Hornby do get things close to correct. 

Ian

Position of nameplates on A4's, and indeed all Pacifics varied considerably. I've been told off about it by Tony Wright more than once. Usual thing applies, check the photos - if of course it bothers you that much. I do wonder if 60008's plates were replaced in exactly the same place after its cosmetic overhaul. Number 8 did have red backed plates for a while by the way, there is a good colour photo in one of my colour albums, but my back won't allow me to access the bookshelf in which it lives at the moment.

Position of nameplates on A4's, and indeed all Pacifics varied considerably. I've been told off about it by Tony Wright more than once. Usual thing applies, check the photos - if of course it bothers you that much. I do wonder if 60008's plates were replaced in exactly the same place after its cosmetic overhaul. Number 8 did have red backed plates for a while by the way, there is a good colour photo in one of my colour albums, but my back won't allow me to access the bookshelf in which it lives at the moment.

Indeed - now that you mention it, G:  Two clear, sharp photos in The LNER Pacifics by Peter Townend of 60008 with red plates - and one with black!

• RMweb Premium

If you look at the plates, on the real thing the elbow for the ejector pipe is above the G in DWIGHT, whereas on the Hornby model the elbow appears to above the D in the middle of the nameplate. That's assuming the nameplate on the real one has been positioned correctly!

Looking at a selection of pics of 60008 in service, the plates are in the same place they appear to have been ever since the loco was renamed in 1945.  In the background Sir Nigel Gresley has plates further forward and was always like that.

Note also that the lining curves are different on the two locos- again entirely prototypical- it wasn't unknown for them to be different on opposite sides of the same loco.

However- looking at the top line of the chimneys- Eisenhower's is correctly flat.  Gresley's appears different (in-service pics show it flat-topped like 60008's).  Is it carrying a non-standard chimney cowl, was it changed late in life at works, or is it a trick of the light?

All the very best

Les

Looking at ehattons, i have noticed that "The Great Gathering" Models Dominion of Canada and Dwight D Eisenhower nameplates are the wrong colours. DoC are Black as the one at the show are red and D D E are red as they are black at the show. Don't know if this is a deliberate mistake or not! And Yes i know they are the Hornby models!! So looks like Hornby have screwed up again!!

These are the early Hornby computer mockups. As pictures of the Hornby Collection on display at York illustrate (see my post on the Hornby GG thread), Hornby now realise 8 should have black and 10 should have red.

This is getting O/T. in fact, given the OP posted pics of Hornby A4s, this should really be in the Hornby forum, maybe.... I'm actually getting a bit lost as to the purpose of this discussion!!!

Archived