Restoring a Hornby Dublo AL1 E3002

chev32

I picked up this this E3002 from a local garage sale It was a non runner so i pulled it apart to find that most of the wiring was either disconected or missing .After a couple of hours work and a good lube

I got it running smoothly . As you can see from the photos I'm missing the side frames plus it needs traction tyres and a few small parts .However my search on the net has drawn a blank.I tried the Doublo Surgeon (whom has all the parts i need ) but have not had any email replies,also a couple of other web sites but to no avail. Hope someone might be able to point me in the right direction  Thanks

post-7317-0-26405100-1374658106.jpg

post-7317-0-22577700-1374658153.jpg

post-7317-0-73620500-1374658185.jpg

Nice purchase there, Chev32. 

I cannot offer any help here but if you do find a source, please let us know as I am after some bogie sideframes for a Dublo Southern Electric motor coach.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the AL1 sideframes are the same as the Bo-Bo diesel. You will need the later clip-on plastic type however.

Unfortunately, the EMU parts are rare and priced accordingly.

Both turn up on eBay from time to time or, googling 'Dublo spares', lists several suppliers.

I can recommend

http://mainlytrains.webs.com/PriceList.htm

He has the tyres and may be able to help with the other parts.

(Note I haven't tried the tyres).

Nice purchase there, Chev32. 

I cannot offer any help here but if you do find a source, please let us know as I am after some bogie sideframes for a Dublo Southern Electric motor coach.

Try here for EMU bogie,pricey but at least it looks like you can get them!!!!

http://www.dubloforsale.co.uk/shop/category/replacement-dublo-parts/

Ray.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the AL1 sideframes are the same as the Bo-Bo diesel. You will need the later clip-on plastic type however.

I believe that is the case too, if it helps.....! In any case that is a remarkable find from a garage sale

Slightly cheaper, these have just appeared on Ebay. As there appears to be no chipping of paint I reckon they could be plastic!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOUR-Hornby-DUBLO-BO-BO-DIESEL-LOCO-BOGIE-SIDE-FRAMES-FOR-SPARES-OR-REPAIR-/111132568353?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item19e0046b21

The photo is rather poor and the frames are upside down, but they appear to have the lug for the screw fixing.

Humbrol Satin Black no 85 takes care of paint chips on Dublo underframes!

A good solid casting certainly is rather less easy to lose than side frames held on by two tiny* screws or, even worse, clip on plastic.

* and special rather than a standard cheese or round head.

I may have a couple of AL1 sideframes in my box of bits. I bought one for £4/19/6 many years ago (1965) and converted it to a class 73 as per Chris Leigh's MRC article...curse you Mr.Leigh, I know you're lurking here somewhere!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have ordered a set of side frames.panto springs and other bits from coopertrains .com plus treated it to a new repro box. Also i have fitted a IHPmedia see ebay , cab interior unfortunatley it only fits one end as  the motor protrudes into the cab area which is  not what is stated in  their add. The cab interior kit went to gether well but a good deal of care is required in cutting out the dash as it is quite fragile. It's pretty hard to see the interior and I feel the effect is somewhat disappointing  maybe due to the thickness of the plastic glazing ,might try an led to illuminate the cab

I've added a few photos of the Triang R753 as a comparison to the dublo model ,the most obvious dfference being the height. Ive ordered an ultrascale wheel kit should drop it dowwn a mill or two  but really needs a piece sectioned out of the chassis

post-7317-0-43519200-1376310620.jpg

post-7317-0-75206700-1376310677.jpg

post-7317-0-54173300-1376310690.jpg

post-7317-0-59631400-1376310701.jpg

post-7317-0-97505200-1376310718.jpg

post-7317-0-38860700-1376310777.jpg

post-7317-0-40143600-1376310799.jpg

post-7317-0-90358400-1376310819.jpg

post-7317-0-50855500-1376310837.jpg

post-7317-0-72343100-1376310852.jpg

• 1 year later...

AIUI the bodies were the same moulding but obviously not! The Triang bogies are more like those fitted to the AL2 or AL3. In my view the Trix model looked far better but the bogie wheelbase was too long. Adrian Swain (adrianbs on here) made the patterns for the Trix bogie side frames. I found one on the dashboard of his car many years ago!

Tri-ang were planning to release an AL2. There was an artist's impression in the 1964 catalogue (incorrectly numbered E3000) and two photographs of a pre-production mock-up (correctly numbered E3046)in the 1965 catalogue, but with the take-over of Meccano Ltd. it was easier to combine the Tri-ang motor bogie with the existing Hornby-Dublo body (lightly modified).

Some pictures here: http://www.tri-ang.org.uk/Electric.html

• 4 months later...

When the  Triang production model entered the shops , the warning panel was not painted  but a  self-adhesive yellow paper, I assume these were a batch of Dublo bodies left over from the takeover of Binns Road. The earliest release of the model had two pantographs.  BR eliminated the twin pantograph setup and Triang followed suit, a handy cost saving to Triang,  E3001 being a slow seller from memory.

i owned one of the twin pantograph paper sticker locomtives , in ignorance of the rarity I sold it on at a swap meet around 1982, the Trader could not contain his excitement at such a find.

In the 1990s a large batch Of Dublo E3002  bodies came to light and were sold at Dublo swap meets,  the bodies were coloured and number printed but undressed,   perhaps they wewre factory seconds as most had a minor cosmetic flaw, a discolouration  on one side, perhaps some rogue plastic had entered the powder mix  during  moulding and pressing.

Tri-ang were planning to release an AL2. There was an artist's impression in the 1964 catalogue (incorrectly numbered E3000) and two photographs of a pre-production mock-up (correctly numbered E3046)in the 1965 catalogue, but with the take-over of Meccano Ltd. it was easier to combine the Tri-ang motor bogie with the existing Hornby-Dublo body (lightly modified).

Some pictures here: http://www.tri-ang.org.uk/Electric.html

Note teh refrence to Magnadhesion,  I think the loco had knurled wheel treads in lieu of the magnetic traction aid

• 2 weeks later...

When the  Triang production model entered the shops , the warning panel was not painted  but a  self-adhesive yellow paper, I assume these were a batch of Dublo bodies left over from the takeover of Binns Road. The earliest release of the model had two pantographs.  BR eliminated the twin pantograph setup and Triang followed suit, a handy cost saving to Triang,  E3001 being a slow seller from memory.

The Triang first releases used Triang made bodies, there was no reuse of Dublo parts. Areas such as the buffer stocks were modified to take Triang brass buffers. I suspect the masks for the centre white roof panel and cab roofs were the Dublo ones but of course the model was numbered E3001.

For many years the Triang models were very collectable given the overall shortage of any RTR AC electric loco but prices are much softer now as models such as the Bachmann class 85 are in a different league and the audience for the Triang model is now purely collectors and those of use who like playing with 60s era vintage trains. As with other models, perfect mint box can command a strong price but complete runners can be bought now for the same price as in the 1980s (i.e. about half the value in real terms!).

I've always fancied a Dublo E3002 and although still very desirable, I don't expect any upward movement in price as quite frankly, those that were lucky enough to collect examples in the 60s and early 70s are gradually going somewhere that they can't take their toy trains. 

Archived