Help Identifying Decoder / Manufacturer ID 255?

jukebox

I acquired a second hand Bachmann K3 that was box labelled as DCC Ready.  Much to my surprise, I found a decoder fitted (it was not sold as being DCC equipped).

When I tried to program it using my Powercab, I can read that it is ID #255, but the decoder will not accept any CV inputs. 

ID #255 is not listed on the NRMA reference sheet - although I have seen elsewhere that this is the ID for Arnold decoders?

(the loco doesn't "twitch" like it does when I program TCS decoders - it runs in reverse at high speed for approx 0.25sec at each attempt to write. I have subsequently installed a TCS DP2X-UK in the loco, but if I can make this decoder is usable, of course I'd like to keep it)

Here's a composite photo:

post-8688-0-72600200-1374844487_thumb.jpg

I have an NCE USB adaptor, and tried using JMRI to write to it, selecting the NMRA raw CV codes option, but had no joy.

Does anyone recognise it, or suggest a possible work around to write to it?

Thanks!

I have 255 as Hornby.The high speed jump would also be consistent with Hornby decoder behaviour (at least for earlier ones).

If it is, indeed, a Hornby decoder, I would recommend using it only as a function-only decoder for controlling some coach lights or in DMU driving trailers.

I have 255 as Hornby.The high speed jump would also be consistent with Hornby decoder behaviour (at least for earlier ones).

If it is, indeed, a Hornby decoder, I would recommend using it only as a function-only decoder for controlling some coach lights or in DMU driving trailers.

Hornby is 48 per http://www.nmra.org/standards/DCC/mfgnumbers.html

As noted, 255 probably means that it can't be read. I would suggest that the decoder is probably dead or partly dead.

Can you read other CVs from it?

Adrian

Okay - thanks all for the responses. 

I had been hoping there might be a CV to try and write to do a reset, but as the consenus is it's an ex-decoder, and more relevantly, an ex-Hornby-decoder, I'm content to write it off.

Once again - cheers all for solving the mystery.

Scott

Archived