Chard Junction and Axminster stations

cromptonnut

• RMweb Gold

Many of the stations on Salisbury-Exeter are of identical dimensions although built of varying materials.

One of them - it may well have been Axminster - was featured in Railway Modeller (perhaps 20 years ago?).

Tim Hale may have an answer as he has modelled a might-have-been station on the route. He does not seem to have posted much recently.

I did a quick search and the user "Tim Hale" is no longer a member of RMWeb.  But you are right, many of the stations along that route were made to fairly similar specifications.

I have found someone who is a model building maker who lists a very nice and appropriate 7mm model of Axminster station as available (http://www.grpmodels.com/o-gauge-model-buildings-to-buy/) but although very nice it is £550 and I'd rather like to have a go myself at making one before spending out that sort of money :)

The South Western Circle does indeed appear to have drawings of Chard Junction station available according to the listing.

However I don't know if £17.50 for membership is particularly cost-effective for me, particularly as the overall "interests" of the group are obviously way before my modelling interests (and, in fact, around 20 years after the station closed and the buildings were demolished!)

But I will consider it as a backup plan if there are no other options. 

Also, annoyingly, they seem to insist on contact by "snail mail" only.  No email or telephone contact given.

Many thanks for sharing those photos, sadly the station closed before I was born so I haven't seen a lot of pictures.  I do have the "Branch Lines around Chard and Yeovil" and "Somerset Railway Stations" books but if I'm going to do it properly I need those drawings. Chard Junction clearly looks a lot simpler (and therefore within my capabilities) than Axminster :)

• RMweb Gold

I am in the process of (slowly) building a model of parts of the chard branch line! At the moment I'm working on Hatch station, to practise skills , old, new and imagined. Since I live in Denmark, research is entirly online. I can highly recommend a book Working the Chard Branch by Derek Phillips and R.Eaton-Lacey. ISBN 1 870872053.

There is an used example on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Working-Chard-Branch-Derek-Phillips/dp/1870872053/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375112935&sr=8-1&keywords=Working+the+Chard+Branch

A fascinating book, with plans, photos, timetables, rolling stock listings, and a wonderful description of the tour as it would have been in the 50's.

• RMweb Gold

The two stations make an interesting comparison for modelling. Axminster (Junction) would require more real estate in length terms, in order to set out the Lyme Regis branch junction and the raised crossover.. Chard Junction would require more real estate in width terms, to accommodate the central road and the GWR branch arrival and tailback, on the up side, and the creamery on the down side. (A plan is worth a thousand words). Axminster station building is very large and has wow-factor, Chard Junction station building in comparison is small, almost insignificant. Both had impressive Goods Sheds (by Tite).

I forecast a compromise on the horizon!

PB

That's almost certain where Axminster is concerned.

The logical portion to model would be from the level crossing to the Lyme Regis branch flyover Something in the region of 10m if modelled to full size in 4mm scale with Cloakham bridge "moved" closer to the gates to make a scenic break at the London end. THe "short" option would be to truncate the London end at the station overbridge (A35) but that loses the east crossover so any moves that used it would need to use the fiddle yard as a headshunt.

I took a lot of pictures and did some basic drawings of the Chard Junction Goods shed shortly before demolition. I was intending to build a model of it last winter but I seem to have put them somewhere safe!

There is a similar, though probably not identical, brick built goods shed extant (but in alternative use) at Broad Clyst. It has a few alterations but they are easily identifiable.

John

• RMweb Gold

I thought I had seen drawings of a simialr station to Axminster.

Ian Allens book 'Southern Country Stations1: London and South Western Railway' by Roberet Amtwell has drawings of Topsham station building in it albiet to 2mm scale.

Also, the waiting shelter at Pinho is drawn to 4mm and is almost identical to the one on the old Up platform at Axminster IIRC

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I thought I had seen drawings of a simialr station to Axminster.

Ian Allens book 'Southern Country Stations1: London and South Western Railway' by Roberet Amtwell has drawings of Topsham station building in it albiet to 2mm scale.

Also, the waiting shelter at Pinho is drawn to 4mm and is almost identical to the one on the old Up platform at Axminster IIRC

Regards

Ian

Topsham's station building was somewhat smaller than Axminster's, but almost identical to the one at Whimple.

John  

Archived