If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hi everyone

WD0-6-0

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum but not to the hobby, though I am inexperienced, something I hope to correct by joining here, so I'm looking for guidance and inspiration. I mostly model RTR but have built plastic loco kits and modified and improved RTR stock (rebuilt an old triang 3F from very poor condition into decent condition but it certainly wouldn't pass a rivet count) along with trying to add extra detail. I have tried weathering but I'm still very much a beginner although fortunately the era I model (so far) does not require much weathering. My layout, which is still under construction, is not huge, I'm only 14 so I have to work with the space my parents allow, so I have decided to model a fictional 3 track mainline and a 2 track preserved line running stock I like (with some bending of history here and there to accommodate certain locomotives and I'm aware that this will not please everyone but it pleases me) I would love to have an accurate exhibition layout set in the late 1950s somewhere on the eastern region but I have not decided where and due to limited funds and space I will be unable to build this for quite sometime. At the moment I only have OO items but I've started to experiment in a small way with N gauge

Thanks, I'm surprised some responded so quick and the same age too wonderful. Well what's not to like about the eastern region and the old LNER (although I'm less of a fan of Thompson I still like a good chunk of his work). I live in the western region and I do like the GWR but there's something special about the eastern region

Which end of Cornwall? I already live there down the bottom. Ahh all the Gresley and Peppercorn pacifics and all those large freight locos with even larger rakes of wagons behind them it would have been a wonderful sight. Personally I would love to have seen a P2 with the original front end just because of how different it was to everything else.

I don't know much about that area but your close to the Bodmin and Wenford so I'm jealous ;) all the way down in Penzance we don't get much in the way of railtours because most stop up Bodmin way to visit the Bodmin and Wenford and don't get this far, plus you have a preserved line up there so you're close to steam and we don't have any :( . The O1s are great looking locos and to see one on a long train working hard would be heaven, I wish an O1 had made it into preservation as I reckon it would be a popular loco. I've never seen an A4 in steam but I did see the 6 in York for the mallard 75 a couple of weeks ago. Bittern my joint second favourite A4, joint with Mallard and silver fox, my favourite would have to be Dominion of Canada though it looks so smart and different with the Canadian additions

Yep, I am! Some rail tours go to penzance, but a lot stop at Par. There's a good spot near me called Largin viaduct which I'm hoping to try tomorrow to catch the stone train. Thats whats good about near me as there are a couple of freights and i can see the mainline from the house. The 01s do look good, but there's so many locks I'd like to get one in model form unfortunately. I think 60009 did a run down in Cornwall a bit a go so her or Bittern may come down again. I'm hoping to see 60009 on Friday at York when I get back from Cornwall. I prefer Sir Nigel Gresley which definitely has nothing to d with the fact I've blown the whistle on her a couple of times and seen her in action on the NYMR :)

Yeah we don't get many although I got some good photos of a deltic on Maizey day this year and deltics were clearly not designed with the point work in and around Penzance station in mind, it didn't like it at all. The O1s are high up on my list of locos to buy (this is where the history bending comes in considering I model preservation ;) but its what I want, this is my fun layout the serious accurate one will come later). I didn't know anything about that but with any luck they will come down here again. Sir Nigel Gresley is a fantastic loco coming in third on my list, the most I've ever done with an A4 is sat in the cab (I managed to grab the drivers seat in 4 of the six A4s :) but only got the firemans seat in the other two, during the Mallard 75). Must have been a great experience to blow the whistle of an A4, does Sir Nigel Gresley have the A4 chime whistle? I'm sure it does but I don't know for definite

Hi Jeff thanks for the welcome even though its only two people I feel like I'm becoming a part of this forum already. I'm a big fan of Gresley and the LNER but I'm also a big fan of the GWR too and I live in its territory and see lots of reminders of it all the time. Although the LNER is something special and impressive, the fiercely independent GWR is special to me as its territory includes where I live

Hello there,

Welcome to the forum.

My son (13) is a Gresley fan,

but I don't hold it against him. :no:

Jeff

You should praise him for having such good taste :P

I didn't bother cabbing any of the a4s at mallard 75 as the queues were too long. I've forgotten what whistle 60007 has I'm afraid.... Do you have a YouTube channel?

I visited on the last 3 days of the event so the only long queue was for Mallard and even that didn't take too long. It's probably a chime whistle and that's a great sound. I have a YouTube account but I don't know if the channel sets up automatically or whether I have to do it, I think I have one.

AFAIA, all the A4's had the chime whistle.

I now await someone's post correcting me!

Next, a subtle hint,

signing with my name!

Jeff

(it's nice to know who you are talking to!)

I thought so but I wasn't sure, although Dominion of Canada (in coronation form) carries a big CPR whistle and I believe a small few others had different whistles too but I don't know

• RMweb Gold

Hello and Welcome,

I see you've already made friends here and have pinned your colours firmly to the LNER mast (but likes GWR).

And run what you like. We ALL do that!

Enjoy your stay,

Kev.

Thanks once again to you all for your welcomes. I believe I have and great to see I'm not the only one my age still supporting railways. Firmly pinned yes but not exclusively by a long way as I have an interest in all of the big four and BR but the LNER does come out on top. As for running what you like there's no way to avoid it if you like the loco enough ;)

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but while I'm still learning how to get around this site ill put it here. In my opinion the Hornby cheap 0-4-0s aren't that great so recently I've started to change one, it's now an 0-6-0 and now the wheelbase is nearly as long as bachmanns WD 8F, I want to make a freelance industrial loco out of it, I have replaced the smokeboxdoor with one from a Dapol STD4 kit which, with a little carving, fit perfectly ive lowered the smokebox removed the old safety valves and have also purchased an old beat up GER short tender and painted it and the loco in what was supposed to be LMS maroon but has dried very brown I'm now looking for any advice on how to improve the look of the model, how to extend the running plate at the rear and how to couple it to the tender (also any advice on easy ways to make the tender smaller as it is a bit too large) also if anyone can recommend a safety valve (and provide an image) that would fit and isn't too expensive that would be much appreciated. I'm not sure whether to keep the chimney or whether to replace it with either a stovepipe chimney or a giesl? thanks.

I've only just seen through the photos it needs another coat of paint it doesn't actually look that patchy to the eye

post-18430-0-84581200-1375264491_thumb.jpg

post-18430-0-19768900-1375264512_thumb.jpg

I have found suitable replacement buffers but can't afford them

Rhys

• RMweb Premium

Hi  Rhys

I thought I'd welcomed you already, but my reply seems to have dropped off the edge of cyber-space

So anyway, a belated welcome from me now.

Regards

Stewart

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived