DJH class 14

malc125

I am enjoying this thread as I am toying with the idea of purchasing one of these and painting it in BLUE to match the rest of the fleet. Did you hear anymore about the quality of the castings from DJH as it looks to me that they are a little shall we say 'rough around the edges'

Ian

Have a look at my photos of the castings at Post #6 on page one of this thread.

Wow what a response!, a big thank you to all who have commented or simply clicked a button, its really appreciated and makes it all the more worthwhile, a few further comments

Gilbert - D9523 was a Bristol Bath Road based loco so I've tried to copy the weathering of those based and working in South Wales and the Dean Forest area. Its done entirely with Humbrol weathering powders sealed over with matt varnish the only paint used was some Railmatch oily steel on the coupling rods with some light dry brushing of metalcote gunmetal on the crank pins and wheel spokes.

Chris - I ordered the kit when it was first announced so paid £350 for it, I think it very poor on DJHs part that they've put the price up twice in the kits short time and done nothing to address the quality(or lack of it!) of the main castings. With these two factors to consider it makes it even less attractive as the "easy build starter kit", I spent at least a week of evening's doing nothing but clean up the 4 main castings with no assembly work being done. In total it took around 6-7 months on and off to build, would probably have been a bit less had I not added the extra details like bonnet handrails, cab interior etc, to be honest I don't add up time taken as things like this just take as long as the builder wants to, its a hobby not a job. As for cost on top of the kit I also bought the DJH transfers, replacement buffers, PRMRP cab fittings and a pack of transfers to do the cab desk dials as well as paint so I estimate around an extra £70 to get it where I did. Maybe Ixion Could be persuaded to do a R.T.R one some day, hint hint!

• RMweb Gold

D9523 was a Bristol Bath Road based loco so I've tried to copy the weathering of those based and working in South Wales and the Dean Forest area. Its done entirely with Humbrol weathering powders sealed over with matt varnish the only paint used was some Railmatch oily steel on the coupling rods with some light dry brushing of metalcote gunmetal on the crank pins and wheel spokes.

post-1107-0-90110000-1413317634_thumb.jpg

Here's my D9523 - I confess after all the chat I opted for an RTR version from DJH - it awaits weathering....

• RMweb Gold

Fresh out of Swindon works, like it!, any more pics of your Bakewell Street layout?, the pic's you posted earlier this year were excellent.

I've not done much recently as I've been playing out with my 4mm but I intend to have a session with the camera and some rolling stock soon

Chris

Archived