TOPS blue era in Worcestershire

• RMweb Gold

My parents bought me a nice little camera for my 2ist birthday in 1976 - a Rollei B35, not an SLR I will grant you but its folding lense wasn't bad.

Have just found some slide images I had scanned - inevitably we turned out for interesting workings, but also some very interesting workings just turned up! And once in a while even the mundane workings looked rather nice....

post-7138-0-76401900-1376336297_thumb.jpg

Heres 31123 on a Padd - Hereford running on to Pitchcroft viaduct - anyone care to guess where the photographer was located to get this shot?

post-7138-0-45564200-1376336430_thumb.jpg

33s were not common at 85A in this era but heres 33002 going on to shed for fuel. IIRC this had worked up on a special from somewhere on the Southern but I cant find any record of the working. That looks like a discarded gangway end door on the embankment!

If you enjoy these you will find a few more taken within the prototypical environs of our Abbotswood layout on the layout thread.

Enjoy!

Phil

post-7138-0-76401900-1376336297_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-45564200-1376336430_thumb.jpg

At a guess in hospital. 

Was the Rollei the camera you looked into the top of and so you could take photos over fences and crowds  by holding it above your head?

Andy

Edited to mention that the signal in the Cl 33 shot looks a bit to upper than lower quadrant in the on position. So don't worry if your signals don't sit perfectly horizontal, there is a  prototype for everything

• RMweb Gold

Just put a Western and 25 on the layout thread.

Ah yes - in hospital every day - had the pleasure of working there, started my pathology career there in 1974.

Away from Abbotswood heres a couple more shots....

Only just off the layout - looking south from the road bridge towards Pirton - heres a rare capture of crossing class 1s with a 45 and a 50

post-7138-0-11155800-1376414773_thumb.jpg

And leaving Worcester just north of Rainbow Hill tunnel is another class 1 - looks like class 46 power

post-7138-0-89759900-1376414802_thumb.jpg

Kind regards

Phil

Lovely shots Phil, keep 'em coming! That last Peak shot... taken from the foot crossing by the looks of it. Just about the point where you apply full power for the climb up to Fernhill, once the back of your train is clear of the pointwork outside TJ 'box. It's a few months since I was last brought to a stand at TJ's 'Christmas tree' bracket signal... a fine edifice if ever there was one.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nidge

Yup they don't make them like that any more! How much longer will they last at Worcester though?

Think at least one member on here has been involved with trying to replace them in the past but his dastardly deeds were reputedly thwarted by a lack of money

Hee hee

Phil

• RMweb Gold

That's good news Nidge - cheers :sungum:

So to continue the theme - heres a northbound 47 through Shrub Hill on an up mixed freight. Nice military traffic from Ashchurch - originally thought those were warwells but on a closer look may be lomacs

post-7138-0-32298300-1376498512_thumb.jpg

And a visit to the shed one Saturday, Railway Walk in the background. Where once stood Castles and Warships....enough said!

post-7138-0-89047700-1376498614_thumb.jpg

Phil

• 6 months later...

Archived