Malachite

Dorsetmike

Checking on detail & livery changes before painting my current Nelson hack from Farish Scot, I find that, according to Winkworth's book on Nelsons, that none of them received the ghastly Malachite until 1946, and from my spotting days in the mid to late 40s around Poole, there were very few, if any, locos in Malachite, most were olive or black (or so grimy it was hard to tell).

So why is it that manufacturers so often bring out models only in such a comparatively short lived livery and/or BR and ignore Maunsell Olive? For those of us that model SR pre 1938 it tends to be a bit frustrating to say the least.

Dapol have announced a Schools in N gauge, Malachite or BR so that will be another repaint if/when it appears! Repaints might not be quite such a PITA if black/white lining transfers were available in N gauge, but I've only found the Fox LNER white/black/white which is fine for boiler bands but elsewhere I black out one side of the white with a waterproof fineliner.

• RMweb Gold

Mike

The 1946 date refers to the application of malachte after the wartime black application. With the exception of 859 all Lord Neslons initially received malachite between June 1939 and March 1941.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived