PWM Controllers on Ebay

hartleymartin

Hi Martin,

Looks OK to me - about the right price for the few components needed. If it is no good, then Paypal will be on your side - usually against the seller. You'll need a reversing switch on the op, and maybe add a resistor in series with the pot to get it to stop the motor. It looks as if they've even put a diode on the ip, to protect it if you connect the power supply wrong way round.

hth

Best wishes,

Ray

Don't see why not.  There's nothing magical about an 1833 can motor so I can't see it doing any harm.  The maximum current I've measured from a Mashima 1833 was ~1A with the shaft locked so there's plenty of current capacity there.

It looks remarkably similar in design to a 20KHz PWM controller I made a long while ago that demagnetised most of my locos, especially the 009 ones with 'N' gauge mechanisms.

If it is based on a 555 timer (which looks likely) there is the possibility that it might not turn off completely, but it should be possible to get it pretty close to off.

It looks remarkably similar in design to a 20KHz PWM controller I made a long while ago that demagnetised most of my locos, especially the 009 ones with 'N' gauge mechanisms.

If it is based on a 555 timer (which looks likely) there is the possibility that it might not turn off completely, but it should be possible to get it pretty close to off.

MIne has the part numbers removed, but it's easy to figure out from the PCB layout that it is a 555.

Andrew

I'll be interested to see what the minimum or "zero setting" is like on this controller. If I use a DPDT switch, it will have a centre-off position anyway. I can always add a resistor to the output if need be.

Years ago I bought something marketed as a 12V PWM motor controller kit from Dick Smith Electronics. Destroyed some components. Got an electrician friend to build and test another one. Put it safely aside somewhere about 5 years ago and have not seen it since!

I'll be interested to see what the minimum or "zero setting" is like on this controller. If I use a DPDT switch, it will have a centre-off position anyway. I can always add a resistor to the output if need be.

Years ago I bought something marketed as a 12V PWM motor controller kit from Dick Smith Electronics. Destroyed some components. Got an electrician friend to build and test another one. Put it safely aside somewhere about 5 years ago and have not seen it since!

A while ago I built the Dick Smith PWM model railway controller.  I haven't ever used it on a layout but it sems to give very good, smooth slow running with various locos on a yard or two of track on the kitchen table, including a Mashima 1833 equipped beastie.  It cost a bit more than $7 though.  IIRC it was about $40.

Using a resistor is exactly the wrong way to compensate for controller output. You will end up with poor regulation due to the voltage drop acros the resistor varying with the load.

Just get/make a decent controler designed for the job.

Andrew

$30AUD for postage to UK stuffs the price up somewhat though! It is only free post to Oz

Silly: $ 30 to the UK, free to Denmark, no delivery at all to Germany... Verrry silly, indeeed!

But even if they would send it to Germany, I would be cautious to use it. There are a lot of alternatives!

Stupid me, I meant to say to add a resistor in series with the potentiometer (variable resistor) to ensure that it actually gives a "zero" output.

Seeing as I have put aside several power adaptors (never throwing away anything that might be useful), I need only add the afore-mentioned resistor, a DPDT switch and wire up the power pack and I should have a decent, if basic PWM controller.

• 5 months later...

Archived