Thompson Coach infomation help

Earl Bathurst

Hi

Would Thompson coaches ever venture onto other regions for use like the Western or Southern region?

Thanks

Scott

Do you mean the corridor (Bachmann) or non-corridor (Hornby) types?

The former were to be found on both Western and Southern on inter-regional workings; the Western also acquired a few for their own use in the early 1960s. I have seen photos of them working with Westerns on Birkenhead- Paddington trains, and elsewhere.

The latter were less prone to wander, though I believe a set was to be found on the Somerset and Dorset. 

The Bachmann corridor type. Would they be in mixed rakes with other regions stock or in a rake of Thompson coaches?

Mixed; on inter-regional trains, depending on origin and period, it might be with Gresley and/or Stanier stock, as well as Mk 1s. On 'internal' workings, it might be with a mix of BR Standard and ex-GWR stock.

It is always a good idea to look at photographs in books [magnifying glass optional!] as you never know quite what you will find.  I've just plucked a book by Peter Gray from the shelves and opened it at random.  There I find a summer Saturday train from Falmouth to Paddington in August 1962 behind a Castle.  The first three coaches are Mk 1s, followed by a Thompson and another Mk 1.  The rest of the train seems to be a mixture of GW and LMS designs [where did I put that magnifying glass?].  A few pages on a train from Cardiff to Newquay in 1960 comprises a MK 1, two Gresleys, two Thompsons, another Mk 1, two more Thompsons and something on the end that isn't very clear.  Finally, the first two coaches of a Glasgow to Penzance relief in July 1962 turn out to be a Thompson and a Gresley.

On that unscientific basis I'd say that on the Western you are more likely to find one or two odd Thompsons than a complete set.

HTH

Chris

It is always a good idea to look at photographs in books [magnifying glass optional!] as you never know quite what you will find.  I've just plucked a book by Peter Gray from the shelves and opened it at random.  There I find a summer Saturday train from Falmouth to Paddington in August 1962 behind a Castle.  The first three coaches are Mk 1s, followed by a Thompson and another Mk 1.  The rest of the train seems to be a mixture of GW and LMS designs [where did I put that magnifying glass?].  A few pages on a train from Cardiff to Newquay in 1960 comprises a MK 1, two Gresleys, two Thompsons, another Mk 1, two more Thompsons and something on the end that isn't very clear.  Finally, the first two coaches of a Glasgow to Penzance relief in July 1962 turn out to be a Thompson and a Gresley.

On that unscientific basis I'd say that on the Western you are more likely to find one or two odd Thompsons than a complete set.

HTH

Chris

Even into diesel days,there was a right mixture. Herewith a few examples:-

Heyday of the Hymeks

p 18, Bristol- Weymouth with Gresley 2nd coach behind loco (08/08/62)

p 25  'Up express' with Gresley corridor brake 3rd (16/04/63) Headcode seems to have an 'N'?

p 53 ECS working at Aller Jct. 1st vehicle Thompson SK, two vehicles behind is a blue and grey Mk 1 BCK, with what looks like another Thompson behind (26/08/67)

I've seen quite a few other examples in other tomes on the WR Hydraulics.

I think that Gresley and Thompson Coaches were mixed in rakes because the corridor connectors matched without conversters necessary on on other region's stock.

And as stated they got everywhere. Roll on retooled Maroon ones!

Beware of mixing Pullman type gangways (LNER and SR Maunsell/Bullied) and LNWR (LMS and GWR). If gangway adaptors were not fitted this could effectivey isolate some parts of the train from Buffet facilities. As someone has said, it was easy for the Eastern Region and Southern Region to integrate BR Mk.I stock. As usual there is no straightforward yes and no.

Archived