Single coach diesel hauled trains in Scotland

eastworld

Where in Scotland was it possible to see single coach trains hauled by diesel locos? Was the Killin line so worked? Any others? Were such workings ever hauled by Class 26s or 27s or would they have been Class 24?

Stu

• RMweb Premium

Ballachulish, Killin, Dornoch and Wick / Thurso (portions) all produced single-vehicle trains on occasions.   I'm not so familiar with the operations on the former GNofS lines in the NE of Aberdeenshire but there are possibilities there also.

Any of classes 21, 24, 25, 26, 27 and 29 could have been the traction.  Classes 17 and 20 had occasional passenger duties as well though these were generally confined to lowland Scotland.

There are photos on Railscot of single coach trains at Georgemas Junction (class 26) and Aberfeldy (D5125).

Cheers

David

Aberfeldy is the classic, plenty of footage about of that with 24s and single coach.

Responding to Gwiwer's comment about GNoSR ops, there were fewer portion workings up there IIRC, and most of the consists I have seen produced three or four car rakes, plus the inevitable Fish vans.

Several GNS lines survived long enough to see two-coach diesel loco-hauled services - Elgin-Lossiemouth, Maud-Peterhead, Elgin-Aviemore ... there is a 1965 photo of a loco-hauled single-coach Elgin-Aviemore service at Craigellachie in O'Hara's "BR Scottish Region Colour Album Album No 1".

• RMweb Gold

Hi Eastworld,

I've done quite a bit of research on the Killin branch and whilst single coach operation was the norm it was never operated by diesel (only excursion traffic was diesel powered).

There are some nice photos around of green Class 24s prior to yellow warning panels and one coach operating out of Aberfeldy.

I'm not aware of any single coach consists, diesel hauled or otherwise, on the Ballachulish branch but would be happy to be proved wrong.

Argos

Archived