Bachmann Mk2 coaches

Fliying Dutchman

Good evening everyone,

I have a problem with al the three of my Mk2 coaches from Bachmann.

I can't make a connection between the coaches because the NEM shaft are on the wrong place.

Do I need a other coupling then the one I used now (Hornby R8220NEM Couplings)?

Regards,

Martijn vd horst

Good evening everyone,

I have a problem with al the three of my Mk2 coaches from Bachmann.

I can't make a connection between the coaches because the NEM shaft are on the wrong place.

Do I need a other coupling then the one I used now (Hornby R8220NEM Couplings)?

Regards,

Martijn vd horst

Using the Hornby couplings they will couple, but not automatically. With the coaches 'buffered up' take the 'wrong' end of a pair of tweesers, or a blunt hobby knife and push the rear end of the coupling (i.e. just below the NEM box)

towards the adjacent coach. You probably won't notice any movement, but there should be a click as the couplings engage.

This uses a certain amount of slack built into the cam arrangemetn on the coaches, and means that even on straight track and when stationary, the springs will be in slight tension. Coaches perform perfectly (on 2nd rad and above curves).

Hope this Helps

Yep, the Bachmann NEM pockets arn't really NEM pockets because of the height and location :angry:

However, I have just fitted Keen replacement drawbars to all my Bachmann mk.1 and mk.2 carriages. They come in unpainted resin, however, after a little filing to remove the flash and a drop of black paint they work brilliantly and the pocket is in the right place. The only down side is the pocket doesn't have a bottom, so the coupling needs a dop of super glue to hold it in place.

More details of my progress here

Using the Hornby couplings they will couple, but not automatically. With the coaches 'buffered up' take the 'wrong' end of a pair of tweesers, or a blunt hobby knife and push the rear end of the coupling (i.e. just below the NEM box)

towards the adjacent coach. You probably won't notice any movement, but there should be a click as the couplings engage.

This uses a certain amount of slack built into the cam arrangemetn on the coaches, and means that even on straight track and when stationary, the springs will be in slight tension. Coaches perform perfectly (on 2nd rad and above curves).

Hope this Helps

On further experimentation, I'm talking rubbish - You can't use the Hornby couplings hadn't realised Mk2s were yet again different from Mk1s (which are not correct!!). Just realised to my horror earlier this morning when I couldn't couple the two types! As a temporary solution, I intend to cut back the rear of the NEM box on the Mk2

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has anyone removed the Inter-City branding from the Blue/Grey versions? I presume it comes off as easily as the numbers, but I'm a bit concerned it may leave a very noticeable patch of duller paintwork. Has anyone a particular technique that avoids this?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 years later...

NEW COACHES DIFFERING RIDE HEIGHT?

I bought both sets of the Modelzone RTC coaches (Engineer Brakes & Brake Force runners) and was comparing the coach DB977337 which is common to both packs. It soon became obvious they were different ride-heights and upon closer examination it would appear that the latest releases of Bachmann Mk2's have re-tooled bogies which make the coach ride lower!

post-6870-0-76323700-1345822176_thumb.jpg

You can see that the gap between the coach and the bogie is less in this picture but buffer heights seem reasonably close!

post-6870-0-89998900-1345822277_thumb.jpg

One of my frustrations when compiling MK2 and 1 Coaches in a rake was the lack of uniformity of the sides / roofs http://www.flickr.co...tos/6065947126/; the MK1's stood out way too much unlike a real rake of mixed coaches. I've done a quick trial of fitting the new bogies to the Mk1 and keeping the higher ones on an old Mk 2 and, although not perfect, the uniformity is a little better.

Thoughts...........

i dont think the better of the two bogies are new tooling - Im sure both ride height versions have been around for sometime as a number of those fitted to some of my old Mk1 stock are lower than my Mk2s with the circular pivot area being only too noticeable. Not sure its a easy fix to remove some of the material......even the lower ones look too high still.

i dont think the better of the two bogies are new tooling - Im sure both ride height versions have been around for sometime as a number of those fitted to some of my old Mk1 stock are lower than my Mk2s with the circular pivot area being only too noticeable. Not sure its a easy fix to remove some of the material......even the lower ones look too high still.

TOF - I think you've miss read my post - I'm not comparing Mk2 to MK 1 bogies. I've compared the MK2 1st tranche versus the newer ones (recent BG release, Kernow scotrail, Modelzone engineer) and the recent releases are all of the lower type. I put the lower type (one on the right) on a MK1 BG and although it wasn't perfect, there was a closer match to ride height with the original MK2 releases than with the original bogies.

Cheers M

• 2 weeks later...

From Mellys pics:

The new bogie seems to have finer flanges, and possbly slightly larger diameter tyres. This means on the track the bogie will ride higher, countering hte loer profile pivot.

It should be noted that the original bogies has a rather 'loose fitting' axle, such that on the track the wheen centre was destinctly above the axle box on the bogie. They might have fixed this issue as well meaning the bogie rides higher, and the gap between bogie and coach can be reduced. Looks much better.

Archived