Lidl Airbrush set

As usual I am out of my depth, but as this time my soon to be 15 yearold Grandson is involved, I do not want to drag him down as well.

He is into aircraft modelling and would like an airbrush. I have seen this lidl offer http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-342CCE8C-53417B2C/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=4852

and would like some advice please.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Mike

That's an external mix airbrush so a fairly primitive device - but quite capable of basic painting tasks. My first ever airbrush was very similar and served me for a couple of years until I moved on to something more sophisticated. it won't do very fine work but will put down paint more evenly than most people can achieve with a brush. There are a few books on airbrushing and a search of the net ought to bring up loads of helpful advice.

As the price includes a compressor I'd say it's not bad value.

Hope that's some help.

Chaz

I'm pondering to get the compressor and then upgrade to an iwatta brush later

If you are seriously thinking about future upgrades remember there is no tank fitted, you will be dependant on the compressor output which will not be a constant or guaranteed flow.

Wally

As usual I am out of my depth, but as this time my soon to be 15 yearold Grandson is involved, I do not want to drag him down as well.

He is into aircraft modelling and would like an airbrush. I have seen this lidl offer http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-342CCE8C-53417B2C/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=4852

Mike

Didn't you post this exact same question and the lidl link in another forum a couple of days ago???

Anyways its a waste of money...a far better package and more bang for your pound is this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPLETE-AIRBRUSH-KIT-MINI-PISTON-COMPRESSOR-WITH-TANK-TWO-AIRBRUSHES-NEW-/380667668997?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item58a18faa05

Didn't you post this exact same question and the lidl link in another forum a couple of days ago???

Anyways its a waste of money...a far better package and more bang for your pound is this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPLETE-AIRBRUSH-KIT-MINI-PISTON-COMPRESSOR-WITH-TANK-TWO-AIRBRUSHES-NEW-/380667668997?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item58a18faa05

No - this is the first time I have asked the question. The Lidl offers email was only posted today!

Mike

Many of us have bought this item, I, a friend and lots of RMwebers have the version without the tank. Works fine, especially good as an entry level item.

Mike

Although this looks good value and is, it is not suitable for an upgrade to a better airbrush later. It has a max pressure of 3 bar but is not adjustable so most of the subtlety of a better brush will be lost. It also will need a water trap in the line although these can be bought separately. It might pay to havea  look at the hose and fittings as they may not be standard and require unobtainable adapters.

The actual goods on sale here from Lidl are actually quite good if the alternative is aerosols. This brush will behave much as an aerosol in use and will deliver a lot of paint in a short time. Paint mix will be critical but once mastered results will be pretty good.

I think it will be ideal for model planes especially bigger ones. It will also be quite good at spraying scenic colours where that is needed or wanted..

It will not be very good at model railways under O gauge.

You can purchase a better compromise from Expo for around £100 and an Iwata plus decent compressor might well set you back a lot more than that.

In any event you might want to invest in some form of filter/extractor for indoor spraying and these types of brush deliver a lot of paint not all of which arrives on the model.

No - this is the first time I have asked the question. The Lidl offers email was only posted today!

Mike

Sorry...it was somebody else on another forum asking the exact same question about the exact same Lidl airbrush?compressor package.

Sorry...it was somebody else on another forum asking the exact same question about the exact same Lidl airbrush?compressor package.

Sorry, I do not see what the relevance is? Not everyone follows every forum on the web. The question is as important and justified here as on ANY other forum. Plenty of members on here do not follow other forums so are not aware of the question (OR the answers) posted elsewhere - a comment made even more irrelevant where no link is provided to that other place.

I am not in the market for a new airbrush or compressor but others on RMWeb might well be. I just don't like seeing members trodden on so heavily for such a straightforward OP.

Sorry, I do not see what the relevance is? Not everyone follows every forum on the web. The question is as important and justified here as on ANY other forum. Plenty of members on here do not follow other forums so are not aware of the question (OR the answers) posted elsewhere - a comment made even more irrelevant where no link is provided to that other place.

I am not in the market for a new airbrush or compressor but others on RMWeb might well be. I just don't like seeing members trodden on so heavily for such a straightforward OP.

It was a simple question Kenton, no one was trodden on at all,especially as I answered his question and provided a link to a better value package. Not to mention the fact that I apologized and acknowledged my mistake in a later post.

It was a simple question Kenton, no one was trodden on at all,especially as I answered his question and provided a link to a better value package. Not to mention the fact that I apologized and acknowledged my mistake in a later post.

Sorry Gene, I did read the apology but the original read to me as very critical of the OP who's question was very straightforward.

I guess the other problem I have with such responses is that the reference to some other imaginary place without a link so that others who may wish to make a similar judgement (or simply to find out additional information/answers) in that other place have the option to do so.

I didn't want to be so heavy in my reply to you. The opinion expressed by you on the quality/suitability was a very valid answer. It is just one of those issues that winds me up. The OP has replied to your question so perhaps we should both leave it there. Though some might still wish to benefit by a link to that other place and the answers given. Even if iI have no interest in visiting that other place.

No problem, its all good Kenton...I didn't post a link to the other forum because I couldn't remember where I had seen it but here it is, basically says that the Lidl package isn't worth it and gives recommendations.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27401&st=0&p=317624&&do=findComment&comment=317624

Cheers

Gene

Thank you evertone for your help. Better safe than sorry, I will give him the cash and let him make his own mistakes!

Sorry if my post caused a bit of friction, that was not my intention.

Mike

You didn't , you asked a perfectly legit question.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit annoyed. Resolved to get one of those 85 quid sets from Ebay following your advice. They had a load last night, but my internet kept going flaky. So I go on this morning....and they've all sold out. Anyone got any other recommednations around the same price point ?

The company that did that set do lots of other starter sets, this one looks to be the same compressor with a very similar gravity feed airbrush (specs read the same) for the oddly precise sum of £73.16

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPLETE-KIT-MINI-PISTON-COMPRESSOR-TANK-AIRBRUSH-CLEANING-POT-/380708296852?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item58a3fb9894

The suction feed airbrush that is the missing part of the old kit is separately available for £18.60

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRECISION-AIRBRUSH-KIT-AIR-BRUSH-AIR-TOOL-AB-800-GREEN-/261069710802?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item3cc8f7a5d2

The gravity feed jobbie is probably the choice tool for spraying models (as opposed to chucking paint at scenery) but you could buy both for £91.76 only £6.76 more than the kit!

Archived