Searching for a Glasgow trackplan

fifemogul

Hi all I am new to the forum and am thoroughly enjoying exploring it, however, I am trying to form ideas for a trackplan layout in oo gauge which will be reasonably reminiscient of a Glasgow station. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate. I would like to run passenger and freight  steam and diesel with two level tracks and inclines declines. I have looked at articles on Queen St, Central Station, Buchanan St and St Enochs all of which I think would be too big even in a shortened version so maybe I need to consider Cardonald,Corkerhill, Cathcart.

Anyway, I am open to all of your suggestions  I don't have a size at the moment as I will be moving home so I am guessing it will be a loft layout. This could be anything size wise but if I had the station in mind it would help for gathering ideas. Sorry if this is too vague but this is my current armchair dilema.

Graham

with two level tracks and inclines declines.

Have a search of RMWeb for discussions on gradients - they are much more difficult than it first appears to be.

Of course there is the possibility of 2 layers in Glasgow - incorporating the Clockwork Orange as a lower level - the prototypical roundy-roundy

Glasgow has several small city stations that are/were situated at different levels in relation to street level and have that city urban grime appeal - especially in the 50's - 70's

• RMweb Premium

Glasgow was a maze of railway lines pre Beeching and even now has a very developed system. I think it is the busiest suburban network in the country outside London.  So multi level is entirely possible and prototypical, without reverting to modelling the clockwork orange underground (strange guage anyway!)  I think you are correct to avoid the big stations like St Enoch or Central , far too complicated for models, although Renfrewshire MRC had a representation of part of St Enochs about 20-30 years ago! God I feel old!  There are at least two representations of Queen St on here. A compact terminus but still fairly large.

How about Dalmuir? 5 platforms with grade separation immediately after.  The area around Shields Road (there used to be 2 stations there on the lines from St Enoch and Central Station with the "Burma Road" underneath. Something with lots of sandstone retaining walls and tenements would grab the atmosphere. Cathcart circle stations are island platforms

Let us know how you get on

How about Helensburgh? Low level terminus of moderate size with high level through station on start of WHL allowing goods trains and short passenger. There was an article in one of the mags but can't recall which one...

I have a slightly shrunk GQS under construction - have managed prototypical track plan in 9 ft x 3 ft although platforms about 1 ft shorter than should be. Prob with GQS is you would never get freight in there...

M

Prob with GQS is you would never get freight in there...

Depends on your time period. What is now the car park, entered from North Hanover Street, used to be a goods depot.

Legend, on 16 Aug 2013 - 16:23, said:

How about Dalmuir? 5 platforms with grade separation immediately after.

You might want to look just a bit further east at Clydebank where the Caledonian and the North British did a fair bit of ducking and diving under and over each other. In this OS map...

http://maps.nls.uk/view/82874370

... the Caledonian through Clydebank Riverside near the bottom ducks under the North British just west of the NB Clydebank station then it climbs up through Kilbowie station to cross over the North British just off the left hand edge of the map. There's the Forth and Clyde canal passing through as well, and if you've got the width, there the Singer factory at theb top of the map with the other North British line through Singer station.

Jim.

Hi everyone thanks for your ideas and suggestions. I'd like to keep the Glasgow theme to the fore so Dalmuir sounds possibly the nearest to what I had in mind. I don't know Helensburgh well enough but I will have a look at all your suggestions thanks again everyone I'll let you know what I eventually decide on.

Graham

Depends on your time period. What is now the car park, entered from North Hanover Street, used to be a goods depot.

Great photos Legend really evocative.

You might want to look just a bit further east at Clydebank where the Caledonian and the North British did a fair bit of ducking and diving under and over each other. In this OS map...

http://maps.nls.uk/view/82874370

... the Caledonian through Clydebank Riverside near the bottom ducks under the North British just west of the NB Clydebank station then it climbs up through Kilbowie station to cross over the North British just off the left hand edge of the map. There's the Forth and Clyde canal passing through as well, and if you've got the width, there the Singer factory at theb top of the map with the other North British line through Singer station.

Jim.

Hi Jim after looking at the OS map you've got me thinking again, thanks.

Graham

Hi thanks for your reply I had discovered Urban Glasgow, but I hadn't realised that there was such a huge amount of fantastic photos on here, so thanks for the link. It was fantastic seeing those photos, really took me back to my childhood, but also the detail in the photos made me realise what brickwork and colour to pick, the platform size,colours and make-up, even the structure and size of the tunnels, retaining walls. Fantastic this has been a great help. 

cheers

Graham

Hi thanks for your reply I had discovered Urban Glasgow, but I hadn't realised that there was such a huge amount of fantastic photos on here, so thanks for the link. It was fantastic seeing those photos, really took me back to my childhood, but also the detail in the photos made me realise what brickwork and colour to pick, the platform size,colours and make-up, even the structure and size of the tunnels, retaining walls. Fantastic this has been a great help. 

cheers

Graham

Take a look at the Urban Glasgow website (link below). An amazing resource. If you go back to the index, there's a lot more than just Queen Street. The old photos and track plans are inspirational. Pete.

http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/archive/queen-street-station__o_t__t_2757.html

Hi Lifeboatman, I can't thank you enough for your photos, your sharing of them has given me a lot of scope and endless memory jog, also helps immenseley with my layout plans.

thanks again

Graham

Not my photos by any means! But you're right, I can spend hours browsing that link and every single photo is a nostalgia trip. I'm a born Southerner but spent quite some time living around Kelvingrove when I was much younger and I'm quite familiar with the area. I've also long had a fascination with the Queen Street track plan and the Urban Glasgow website has proved more than useful a few times! Good luck with your plans. Pete.

Hi Pete, thanks for your reply, Queen St Station was always fascinating for me as when my parents used to take us there when going on holidays. Dad worked in Cowlairs then St Rolox and he used to take us to the engine at the end of the journey so that we could thank the driver for getting us there safely!!!!! What a laugh when I think of it now, I would be about three or four at the earliest I can remember, but this is my earliest memory of a steam train,however I don't know which ones they would be .....just big black, noisey steaming monsters to me at the time but I was captivated from then on. 

Graham

• RMweb Premium

Hi Graham,

Something else to through into the mix - Partick.  I don't mean the current station but some of the lines around the area and heading back down toward the river Kelvin and the Stobcross (now 'Exhibition Centre' area).  As has been said above about other parts of the west side of Glasgow there was a fair amount of ducking-and-diving going on; traffic could also be quite intense, especially in the days of shipbuilding and other heavy industries, not to mention the commuter services.

If you want a specific example, try Partick Central:

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/rail/partickcentral.htm

One peson who would be of great help in this would be luckymucklebackit of this parish; he did a fair amount of research on this for a proposed station on the layout of a club we once both belonged to.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Graham,

Something else to through into the mix - Partick.  I don't mean the current station but some of the lines around the area and heading back down toward the river Kelvin and the Stobcross (now 'Exhibition Centre' area).  As has been said above about other parts of the west side of Glasgow there was a fair amount of ducking-and-diving going on; traffic could also be quite intense, especially in the days of shipbuilding and other heavy industries, not to mention the commuter services.

If you want a specific example, try Partick Central:

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/rail/partickcentral.htm

One peson who would be of great help in this would be luckymucklebackit of this parish; he did a fair amount of research on this for a proposed station on the layout of a club we once both belonged to.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex thanks for the link , very useful. Partick of old is a great possibility for a layout by ticking a lot of boxes on my list of ideas. I'll need to do more research, however with the surrounding industry and location it would include loads of opportunities for modelling one of Glasgow's great stations. Thanks again.

Graham

Before the Airport link was aborted there were full street level plans available from Central thru Salkeld Street, Smithy Lye, Sheilds, Paisley out to the airport.

They were on a website which is gone now but someone on the Scotrail group may have saved them.

• RMweb Premium

Remember Glasgow now is very much cleaner than it was 50 years ago. So if modelling the 50s to 70s the tenements were mucky, almost black in some cases with soot, whereas they have been cleaned up a treat now . Partick is a great suggestion with lots of goods to the shipyards too (if in the 50-60s)

Hi Legend , yes you're right Glasgow tenements were gey grimy with soot and so on when I was wee we used to get the 49 bus to Govan bus station then onto the subway through to Kelvin hall for Ideal home exhibition or the Art Galleries sometimes but great fun on the subway with the fantastic aroma and noise The subway used to make me think I was in DrWho, amazing what you think as a kid. However, I can remember Partick station and the bridge where the trains rolled in at a rate of knots. I agree with you that Partick could be a great model especially with the Clyde being so near there was a lot happening in Partick.

Graham

Graham, if you go back the the Railways of Scotland page which lists all the different topics, about 20 down there is a topic called "Partick Central Station" with a good clear photo of that station in its last days. It looks like a massive scrap yard but the platform, goods shed and surrounding track are all still visible. There is also a suggested linkin a following post to the Old-Maps site which at one time had a "zoom" feature to allow you to see the track layout quite clearly. Sadly this seems to be unavailable now but you might still be able to make it out.

Alex, the model club you and Luckymucklebackit one belonged to, is that the one just south of the A80, in the town that was a constant winner of the title "Ugliest Town in Scotland" year after year? I was a member there for a few years before escaping to the other side of Glasgow and I think I remember you - just. I still bump into the lads from the club now and then. They are easy to spot with the stylish ankle bracelet they all wear with the hallmark "Property of Scottish Parole Service"

Jim 

There is also a suggested linkin a following post to the Old-Maps site which at one time had a "zoom" feature to allow you to see the track layout quite clearly. Sadly this seems to be unavailable now but you might still be able to make it out.

The National Library for Scotland has now got all the old Scottish OS maps on line and zoomable.  Here's the 25inch one for the 1930s which includes Partick Central.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/82891713

Jim.

• RMweb Gold

Glasgow was a maze of railway lines pre Beeching and even now has a very developed system. I think it is the busiest suburban network in the country outside London.  So multi level is entirely possible and prototypical, without reverting to modelling the clockwork orange underground (strange guage anyway!)  I think you are correct to avoid the big stations like St Enoch or Central , far too complicated for models, although Renfrewshire MRC had a representation of part of St Enochs about 20-30 years ago! God I feel old!  There are at least two representations of Queen St on here. A compact terminus but still fairly large.

How about Dalmuir? 5 platforms with grade separation immediately after.  The area around Shields Road (there used to be 2 stations there on the lines from St Enoch and Central Station with the "Burma Road" underneath. Something with lots of sandstone retaining walls and tenements would grab the atmosphere. Cathcart circle stations are island platforms

Let us know how you get on

Odd gauge???? Closer to OO in 4mm scale than standard-gauge.

Archived